8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » What Remakes Are Better Than The Originals?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What Remakes Are Better Than The Originals?
Dan Lail
Film God

- posted June 29, 2005 04:58 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This should be a fun subject. What movie remakes are better than the originals. Box office sales don't count longevity does(oh god! no puns please). A couple that come to mind are A Star Is Born with Garland, An Affair To Remember with Grant and Kerr. [Cool]

Also, which original are better than the remakes. Of course hands down are Invasion Of The Body Snatchers and King Kong. [Eek!]

|  IP: Logged

David Michael Leugers
Master Film Handler

- posted June 29, 2005 07:47 PM      Profile for David Michael Leugers   Email David Michael Leugers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The remake that was better than the first, bar none IMHO

"The Thing" by John Carpenter. One of the all time great
scary movies.

"The Maltese Falcon" by John Huston with Bogart. So good
everyone has forgotten the original.

David M. Leugers

--------------------
Live Free or Die

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted July 03, 2005 09:55 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last of the Mohicans circa 92, the oldies were good but this was fantatsic and what a climax etc.
Best Mark.

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 05, 2005 09:27 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although technically a TV series (although extended editions were released to cinemas here in the UK in the early 60's) it has to be Brian de Palma's "Untouchables", with everyone on excellent form, this has to be my remake that bettered the original TV series by miles, but of course the original TV series was made in televison infancy, but what a film with the likes of Costner, De Niro and the marvelous Sean Connery.

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted July 05, 2005 01:17 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your right there Barry, superb, you can at least get it on super 8 trailer wise.
Best Mark.
Wonder what king kong will be like, hope the female lead is nubile.

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 05, 2005 03:40 PM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Mark,

I saw the 1st trailer to Peter Jackson's "King Kong" and it looks excellent, it's set in the 1930's, and the trailer shows quite a bit of footage of "Kong" and it looks very good indeed. What I saw in the trailer some scenes have been virtually re-created from the 1933 original, and it looks brilliant, but we'll have to wait until December to really see.

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted July 05, 2005 08:42 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dare I say that War of the Worlds (2005) is better than the 1953 version?
I just think WOTW2005 is so much more realistic - and I don't mean the special effects, but the acting. The actors in the 1953 film were, at times, laughable... just reciting their lines in a way no normal person would have spoken them, were they under alien attack at that very moment!... But the people panicking and going nuts in the 2005 version... it's frightening... and so real!... It has flaws, for sure, and I know not everybody agrees with the dad-trying-to-save-kids take (apparently a lot of people were disappointed not to have seen more of the aliens/their machines)... but I love the 2005 version. It just makes a much bigger impact than the 1953 one.

I know I'm going to be shredded apart over this now... [Wink]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted July 06, 2005 11:58 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don`t know, you`ve got a point there, most films now if half good are great for details etc and the acting, just look at master and commander, superb.
I do like the old Moby Dick with gregory Peck mind, though the Patrick Stuart one was also very well done, obviously more realistic in many ways.
Kong sounds good Barry, wonder if the trailer will be out on 8mm, did you suss who the broad was in it, fingers crossed that the monkey does a bit of textile hassling if you will. Oh dear me, it must be my age.
Best Mark.

David Michael Leugers
Master Film Handler

- posted July 06, 2005 03:15 PM      Profile for David Michael Leugers   Email David Michael Leugers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"The Last of the Mohicans" = excellent choice!

I would give the all time "movie from a TV series" award to "The Untouchables". A great film so far ahead of the usual lame movies based on TV shows it is hard to believe.

Just a side note: "Batman Begins" is Batman finally done right! I just saw it in the IMAX version. Wow. This is the way to see movies!

David M. Leugers

--------------------
Live Free or Die

Trevor Adams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 08, 2005 05:01 AM      Profile for Trevor Adams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ben Hur?

--------------------
Trevor

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted July 08, 2005 05:10 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Man Who Knew Too Much. [Cool]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC