8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Off-Topic..Sincere good wishes to Great Britain (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Off-Topic..Sincere good wishes to Great Britain
Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 09, 2005 02:32 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is good to release our thoughts among friends. This is a sound batch of chaps, and a wonderful forum.

For this, I am very grateful. This is why I feel so akin to what has happened in London, for it reminds me of my own experience on that Tuesday morning (four years ago), and for the many weeks that followed afterward.

I only wish to share of my own observation and experience.

I live in Albertson, NY. It's 23.4 miles = 37.6586496 kilometers from the WTC site.

On that day, I could view the devastation from the third floor school gymnasium, as the tops of both towers charred with flames and soot poured out, as I watched at the school which I work in Brooklyn, NY. The location is only 5 miles = 8.04672 kilometers from NYC.

In our local Church Parish, 20 families were affected. Either for those that worked there, or for the firefighters and police that live in the community that were affected by the incident.

For weeks, regardless of where you traveled here on Long Island, there were digital images of missing persons in local communities pasted to shop door window glass fronts, and a litany of blocked traffic jams filled with Police and Firefighters in their dress uniforms standing attention, in front of funeral homes, temples and churches. Thus it was not surprising to see a jam in front of a church at 5:00, on a Saturday evening.

The countless stories from teachers in academia, regarding unfortunate children sitting in classes, with the understanding that their loved one will never return home again.

It was a continual cruel reminder of the events, and something that I will never forget.

Thank you for listening.

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

|  IP: Logged

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted July 09, 2005 06:14 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
I can understand what your saying. Today in our papers they were showing pictures of some of the people that were missing believed dead and I'm sure that will go one for a while yet. Terrible.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 10, 2005 06:15 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello to everyone from Russell Square.

Having had to break through a police cordon area to get home on Thursday I can report that this area of London is still shut. The Piccadilly Line (tube/underground) is impassable and the tunnel that took the blast is in danger. It is safe to assume that trains will not be running along that for some time. It will be impossible to replace the Piccadilly Line from north London by any other means until it reopens possibly in the distant future. We can only hope our engineers manage to remember how to build tunnels and get it fixed quickly. Public transport within the capital will therefore be a bit of a disaster until then. Let's all hope our lunatic leader Ken Livingscum realizes he can no longer tax people for driving their car into the centre (but that's another story).

From here up to King's Cross over half a mile away is virtually all cordoned off. We had the bomb go off on the bus on Upper Woburn Place just north of Russell Square by a few hundred yards and a bomb on a tube on its way from King's Cross to Russell Square. It's a bit of a no go area and the police sirens still haven't stopped. There's never a dull moment living in the centre of London.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 10, 2005 09:00 AM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown]

[ July 12, 2005, 12:49 AM: Message edited by: Tony Milman ]

--------------------
Tony

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted July 10, 2005 09:17 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
John, as a matter of interest does the Pic line go under your building? Unless I have my sense of direction wrong I would have said that it did.
BTW I would have been more worried about the 35mm machine.
Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted July 10, 2005 10:05 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What really hits home, similar to Michael's experience, are the scenes of photos on walls, bus stops, windows, etc. of loved ones who are still missing. There appear to be bodies in the debris at the King's Cross station that can't be recovered yet. Here in New York, photos with "Missing" and "Have you seen this person?" were posted everywhere right after Sept. 11th and each photo tears at your heart. Almost 4 years later, 48 people are still unaccounted for.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 11, 2005 02:39 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Piccadilly Line must go under our block. If it doesn't, it's very close.

I was going to mention the GS-1200 being safe in my last post but thought better of it. I wasn't particularly worried as my main machine is still with Mr. Parsons.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted July 11, 2005 06:38 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
The main thing is that you and susie are safe and sound [Smile]

Kev [Smile]

--------------------

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 11, 2005 05:16 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry John,

I am afraid that even in such dire circumstances I am forced to take refuge by deflecting away from the horror of the situation, no offence meant to anyone. I guess it helps to get me through the situation.

[Frown]

--------------------
Tony

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 12, 2005 02:07 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No need to apologize Tony. Even in the worst of circumstances I'm still light hearted and always prepared to look on the bright side and if necessary have a laugh. Where would this country be without people like you? It's the British way and I wouldn't change it for the world.

The whole area is still boarded off. They now have traffic going the wrong way around Russell Square but someone's moved all the cones separating the traffic so saw a car nearly take a bike out head on this morning. And that was with only those two vehicles on the road! Wait until later.

--------------------

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 13, 2005 10:27 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How is the current situation around Russell Square a week after the incidents as well as the condition of the tubes? Those blokes that wreaked the havoc, should have the book thrown at them.

I'm hearing that the PM wishes to create dialog?
It sounds so cheerful, but this is beyond reasoning and dialog.

--------------------
hobby that we love!

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 14, 2005 02:28 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Russell Square area is still shut from 20 yards south of the tube station all the way up to Euston about half a mile away. I walk out my door in the morning, say "good morning" to the nice police officers on duty and then skirt the cordon to walk to work in Paddington. The cordon barriers they've put up around the direct areas affected by the bombings look pretty substantial.

--------------------

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 14, 2005 05:22 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With all of the substantial activity since a week ago, and is evidenced at your own door step, that people are moving about as best as possible. Once again, the resolve of the British spirit is upbeat.

It is also with the hope that government here in the USA and in Britain will not speak rhetoric, and will indeed protect all law abiding civilians for all humanity and not the select few.

--------------------
hobby that we love!

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 18, 2005 04:53 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The hoardings around Russell Square tube and Tavistock Square are coming down. The bus has been or is being removed from Tavistock Square and is going off for further forensic investigation.

I don't suppose the Piccadilly Line will be re-opened for some time which will cause major inconvenience for hundreds of thousands of people but for the most part everything else in the area will almost get back to normal. There just won't be quite so many people about with the resultant loss in trade to all the local retail businesses.

--------------------

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 18, 2005 09:40 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John the aftermath of this incident is far reaching in many ways. I do hope that businesses will not loose their shirts (close shop permanently) and people will not loose their spirit in the shock of almost a fortnight, this Thursday. I take it from your post that the Piccadilly line, took the most severe blow?

--------------------
hobby that we love!

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 19, 2005 02:28 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like it. Each track is a single tunnel on that line and I did hear that the tunnel in which the blast occured was in danger. But that story got hushed up pretty quickly.

Londoners are sadly fairly used to things like this so there's no danger of the people losing their spirit. There's more danger of the opposite happening and we just become too bullish and too full of bravado.

--------------------

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 22, 2005 02:54 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Britains Police are working hard and deserve wonderful support for the tremendous task and challenge they face in protecting the public.

Michael

--------------------
hobby that we love!

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted July 22, 2005 05:20 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Well at least this latest try didnt succeed. It has come to light tonight that the latest explosives didnt go off as they had deteriorated. The police were saying tonight that they believe the latest bombs were probably made at the same time as the last bombs used on the 7/7 but they have to be used straight away as the chemicals go off. As this was a couple of weeks a go they didnt explode this time arround.....thank god for it as there could have been another real disaster this time on the Northern line.

Kev.

--------------------

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted July 22, 2005 06:11 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So it's true. [Frown] Another attempt... I, too, am glad it failed, though. This morning I watched the news and got confused, couldn't tell for sure whether they were talking about the first attack or a new one. (Darn media always talk things to pieces without getting to the point, i.e. "what just happened.")

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted July 23, 2005 05:56 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like some other countries are agreeing with some of my previous points about how soft we'v been with allowing the scum element the same rights of speech as the majority of good people. Maybe now Blair and his doughnuts and the idiots of the human rights movements will wake up. Anyone who stands in front of a mic and tells us its what we deserve should be de-ported.
It makes me mad to hear anyone giving these people air time or support [Mad]
Hopefully, unlike Spain, these scum will not tempt the Government to change its polices. Once you do that they've won.
Best wishes to all in London who are doing everything they can to carry on as normal. It cant be easy. Hopefully those clowns have left a treasure chest of clues to much more than just the sad no-minds who carried the backpack bombs.

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 23, 2005 11:54 AM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom,
Indeed your points are well established. However I'm not holding my breath that Mr. Blair and his followers will ever wake up. They all need a check-up from the neck up. The same holds true here in the USA. When addressing the issues of attack, the only way is to strike back, and let them know that you mean it. I'm not blood-thirsty, but for anyone that holds the truths of modern civilization sacred, then civilized society needs to understand that these believers-extremists nearly conquered the world thousands of years ago through the means of the sword. This is not something that I am making up, it's not hate talk, it's only the historical fact. The west should not feel ashamed of the Historical colonization of Britain. We live and breath democracy that has brought and allowed the free thinkers that shaped today's modern world.
The 'Sir Issac Newtons' and men of Renaissance sacrificed great lengths, to share their gifts with the world. It was the 'Neville Chamberlains' that goofed.

This Forum is a discussion which is evidence of those 'Newtons', 'Galileos's' and modern marvels which we cherish. It shall not be bludgeoned from us.

Respectfully,
Michael

--------------------
hobby that we love!

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted July 23, 2005 12:50 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do agree with many of your points Michael, unfortunatley it is difficult to know where to strike because they hide in so many countrys. This one included as we have now seen. The biggest problem began in 91 when Mrs Thatcher decided that the extra day required to take out saddam was "not what they set out to do". It gave him 10 extra years to sort himself out. As for the extremists who are causing todays problem, where do we all go from here, Iran, N Korea, Saudi, Yeman? the list is endless anmd i see today they got Egypt. These scabs even kill women and children in there own Countries [Frown]
Unfortunatly the only way to deal with it as you say is to take the war to them no matter what before they do become stronger and stronger. If there minds are warped enough to blow themselves up,(how sad can one get) then if they are caught they must be executed. That certainly wouldn't happen here as, appararntly, we are too civilised, what a joke for an excuse to allow them to live.
Whats annoyed me recently is three British soldiers have been done for mis-treating prisoners, it didnt matter that they executed in the most savageway the many hostages they caught.

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted July 23, 2005 01:09 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's a good point you bring up there, Tom, but the one thing that speaks for our Western civilized ways, of course, is that at least we give criminals, no matter how savage they are, their fair and due process. This is justice, and it's one of the cornerstones of who we as a society are. Yes, sometimes it's hard as we all get emotional and have our days where we would like to just run around and kill all the bad guys with guns in our hands - but if we did, would we then be so much better than them? In the end we're much better off being who we are by worrying about such seemingly contradictory things like the British soldiers being reprimanded for mishandling prisoners that probably deserved worse anyway. Now, back where those prisoners come from (I'm assuming they were from Iraq/Egypt/Sudan/etc.) they wouldn't even bother with that. "Let's just blow them up, and ourselves along the way so we can go to heaven!" ... Ugh.

I guess what I'm trying to say is maybe we ARE too civilized at times, as you say (I agree), but at least we are civilized, period. That's worth hanging onto...

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted July 23, 2005 01:36 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jan that is very true. Oddley enough its a term many people use, you know, "why come down to there level"? I just wish the media would not keep putting there side of the story and demand more rights to all the different races that wish to move here. Welcome anyone from anywhere but please fit in with our way of life and not demand that we bend to yours. As i mentioned before, if you holiday or move to a foriegn country you MUST abide by the laws of there land. Here we just seem to give up more and more of the British/English way even to the point where in some parts of the country certain councils ban the flying of the Georges Flag as it offends the muslim community. If anyone is offended by that then they should return home and live. The bombing and the 9/11 incident(murder) is the extreme version of a given group telling us we dont like what your doing so eat this. That must not be allowed to win.
I was very saddened when in Spain the day after there train bombings the Government immediatly gave in to them and withdrew there troops. i suspect they belive we will do the same.
It is a pity the iraq war was so badley planned for the aftermath. Lets all hope it gets sorted soon so the UK/US and all the other troops can all go home.
Lets pray that Bush isn't stupid enough to have a go at Iran next. They always said WW3 would probably be over oil. Every time i see another suicide bomb go off in yet another country i get more nervy.

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 23, 2005 08:22 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for sharing,
I agree whole heartily.

Michael

--------------------
hobby that we love!

All times are Central
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC