8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Zoom image of 8mm

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Zoom image of 8mm
Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted July 29, 2005 12:23 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder what camera he used? I belive this is not a result from a scanner machine but rather putting a light behind white paper and then shot 8mm with a zoom lense. But what camera/lense that can zoom in into 8mm size?? This is the quickest way to tell somebody about the quality of the picture. If he changed the light with white one then will improve the image from reddish (I think he used tungsteen light).

Or am I wrong?

-

--------------------
Winbert

|  IP: Logged

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted July 29, 2005 02:44 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're right, it looks like someone put a lamp up behind this piece of 8mm film - I think they simply took a picture of it with a macro lens, holding the film right in front of the camera, probably mere millimetres away from the lens.
Your question as to how colors would improve with a white-balanced source of light intrigued me [Smile] so I did some color rebalancing of my own...here's my version of your picture:

-

I tried as good as I could to rebalance the spotlight behind the 8mm film to pure white. It was difficult as there is more to it than simply reducing red and adding blue to the image, so I had to play with the gamma sliders for each color... I didn't do too bad, though, I think [Smile]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted August 27, 2005 07:57 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am still amazed with this guy's scanner or camera (it shows up in Ebay various times).

See...the detail of scanner/camera is so clear. Can some one let me know what brand can take like this?

-

BTW since the light behind is tungsteen I made correction and the result is much natural.

-

Jan, I did better than you did, didn't I?

cheers

--------------------
Winbert

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted August 27, 2005 09:48 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
NICE job. [Smile]

As for what scanners can take these pictures... I have an Epson Perfection 610 USB flatbed scanner which is a few years old, and goes up to 2400dpi (many of today's scanners should go even higher). It makes fairly nice scans of super-8 film, just not as large as the ones shown here. Their size is maybe about a third, possibly half as large. So, in short - most flatbed scanners for the consumer market should easily be able to make shots like these. [Smile]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC