8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » 387 Members Could Post!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 387 Members Could Post!
Dan Lail
Film God

- posted August 04, 2005 10:09 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With 387 members that means a lot of people aren't posting. This is an invitation to the silent majority to come out of the closet so to speak [Eek!] and tell about your 8mm or 16mm hobby. [Smile] I've experienced all the forums on the web and this one is the friendiest in the 8mm/16mm guage. No attitudes here! Just weird humor and and great tech advice, not from me of course, I'm still in tape splice 101. [Roll Eyes]

|  IP: Logged

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted August 05, 2005 07:42 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
I would have to agree with that. It tends to be the same people who post and with that number registered it's a shame that others dont take a more active part in the discussions.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 05, 2005 11:26 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Trouble is people come and go, they register to sell a film or find out something specific and then dissapear.

I understand it's the same with all forums, when a forum first gets going there is a brief period where 100% of registered members are active, this then reduces in coincidence with the increase of registered members and usually levels out to about 10% and as the forum ages and the number of registered members increases, the percentage of active members continues to reduce although there will be a point at which the actual figure for active members crosses over it and the active members slowly become more numerous as the percentage continues to reduce.

We seem to have passed the crucial crossover point within the past two or three months as the number of posts per day and the number of users has definitely increased significantly in that time, although the percentage of registered members posting regularly is well below the 10% that would give us 38, we're proabaly looking at between 5 and 7%.

Sorry, my degree was in Applied Social Sciences, and Statistical Analysis of social trends and the use of Statistics by the media always fascinated me [Roll Eyes] .

Mike [Cool]

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 05, 2005 11:54 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now you mention it, do you re-call a short while back i commented on the FFTC mag? That only got 14 responses out of all those members. [Frown]
That means either very few people get the mag or as you say a lot of forum members arnt posting or reading any more. That said and done dont forget that the hobby is in its death rolls. Without being too dramatic there are a lot of new releases latley but in days gone by Derek once told me they would look for the sale of around 30 features to break even and over 50-60 to call it a resonable succses. Now i think its probably hard to gaurantee 30 sales Worldwide.
Even the sales lists tend to be 90% of the same films going round in circles, and each time a dealer gets hold of a new collection to sell thats another person no longer in the cine circle. More goodies for us though [Big Grin]
And lately i see even the GS1200 is now selling for average 800-900 quid, down from a year ago when they would average £1200 - £1400 [Eek!] [Eek!] At last, when they get to 300 or less i'll take one. [Big Grin] [Wink]

David Roberts
Master Film Handler

- posted August 05, 2005 12:51 PM      Profile for David Roberts     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I admit ive not been posting recently,but am still keen and have been buying a few new items from Derann and plan a few more.
It does seem sad that kodachrome is on the way out. Ive just purchased a few sound cartridges from Tom,and look forward to using these,before the end of next year of course!
In the meantime,thank goodness for Derann,a great company.

David.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 05, 2005 01:26 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Dave,
Your films are wrapped and ready to go. Should be with you early nxt week. they will go 1st class recorded. You'll have to let me know how you get on with your canon.
We watched some of our old home movies last night and after all these years the picture on the kodachromes are unbeatable.

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted August 05, 2005 01:52 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In regard to the many members who don't seem to post: I wonder how old the inactive accounts are on average, and when they were last used? Some people may just have moved on (perhaps deciding that this place wasn't for them - if so, it is our duty to convince them otherwise [Big Grin] ) but others may just plain have forgotten they ever registered here, or not be able to spend much time here, or be unable to even access the forum for whatever reason.
Now here's my idea - I don't know if it's even possible, but what if we were to send a private message to ALL registered users at the same time, re-inviting them to the forum? If I'm not mistaken, the default setting in each user's profile is to receive an email copy of a private forum message so whoever's email address is still active (and correct) should receive the invitation. Perhaps Brad Miller can "rig" something up to do this? I'm not suggesting, of course, that we just spam everyone - it would be a one-time thing. What do you guys think?

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted August 05, 2005 10:31 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, what an impressive read out on the stats. [Eek!] I nominate Mike Peckham as official numbers cruncher. Can you give me the winning numbers for the lottery? [Big Grin] I'm still trying to come to grips with the fact your ancestors haven't moved more than 50 miles in 900 years:-) [Smile] But then, I recently bought a book about my geneology and found that I am my own grandpa! [Roll Eyes]

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted August 05, 2005 11:28 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dan, if that's true, may we see a picture of your time machine please [Big Grin]

--------------------

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 06, 2005 02:40 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why thankyou Dan! [Big Grin]

Actually, the fact that my Fathers paternal line haven't moved that far in so long probably isn't that unusual. Peckham is essentially a Sussex name and there are several place names around Sussex that have similar routes; Pyecombe, Patching, Patcham and East And West Peckham. Peccam was an Anglo-Saxon term that related to a settlement or Hamlet on a hill or rise.

There are other parts of the country where local names have been associated with the county for many hundreds of years and in many cases, like mine, back to the Doomsday book and beyond, so nearly 1000 years. Cornwall has many family names associated with it that begin with 'Tre', Trevelyn, etc. and in Yorkshire you have all the 'Thwaites' that can be traced back to the Vikings, I understand that 'Thwaite' was a Norse word for clearing, and you will stlll find in Yorkshire and Northumberland and Cumbria many people with names like Misselthwaite and Posselthwaite and such, their families might well have been associated with the Countys' for many hundreds of years if not back to and beyond the time of the Viking invasions!

Fascinating [Wink] .

Mike [Smile]

Sorry Dan, I've taken this a bit off topic... [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 06, 2005 05:50 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Thwaites"?
Wonder if another well known term comes from that. I know many Thwites [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Wink]

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 06, 2005 11:16 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is Mike Newell around?

Hello Mike, are you there in Belfast?

Michael

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 07, 2005 04:39 AM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Point taken and I fully agree about posting / replying & participating here. Having 'lurked' for ages I finally started posting but have realised a month has gone by since my last post so it is easy to fall into silence again when very busy with other aspects of life; I would imagine it is the same for others too. Most forums will have regular posters due as much to the person's character as to their knowledge of the subject matter - it is obviously more difficult to get the shyer types to contribute though. Perhaps a non-technical 'what is your favourite 8mm film & why?' type thread would encourage some members to make comment for the first time?
Kevin

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted August 07, 2005 08:48 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good idea, give them something to work with. [Smile]

On that note, has anybody given consideration to my idea of inviting members through PMs/email?

--------------------

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 07, 2005 12:56 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On a serious note, i also assume many people have busier lives in other areas so arnt always able to. Of course its already been covered that many people do and will always use these forums to off load cine they have been left in inheritance or whatever and once they get what they need thats it.

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 08, 2005 02:48 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With regards to Jan's suggestion I wonder how easy it would be to send out an email to all registered members. I did ask Brad about this when we had to change the date of the BFCC at short notice last year but it wasn't easily possible then. Rather suggests it would take a bit of work to compile all the contact details.

Assuming we got as far as a mailing list what would we send out to everyone? Some sort of forum news update I should think.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC