8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » UK lottery - is this for real? I supposedly won $2.5 million...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: UK lottery - is this for real? I supposedly won $2.5 million...
Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted September 10, 2005 10:02 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Someone in the UK tell me if this email I received yesterday is for real or not... Obviously the first thing that comes to mind is "scam" but I must say I'm actually not sure. [Eek!]

Here's the message: (note I masked some of the numbers with asterisks ****)

The National Lottery Logo

UK-LOTTO Headquarters:
The Marina Offices,
St Peters Yacht Basin,
Newcastle upon Tyne, NE6 1HX
England

Customer Service
Ref: UK/9420X2/68
Batch: 074/05/ZY369

WINNING NOTIFICATION:

We happily announce to you the draw (1013) of the UK NATIONAL LOTTERY,online Sweepstakes International program held on 07/09/2005 in NEWCASTLE, UNITED-KINGDOM.

Your e-mail address attached to ticket number: 5*********5 1** with Serial number 5***/*2 drew the lucky numbers:** . 05 . ** . 41 . ** . 49 . (**) Bonus BallBonus Ball, which subsequently won you the lottery in the 2nd category i.e match 6. You have therefore been approved to claim a total sum of
U$D 2,500,000.00 (Two million, Five Hundred Thousand United StatesDollars) in cash, credited to file ktu/9*********/03. This is from a total cash prize of $USD 10 Million dollars, shared amongst the first Four (4) lucky winners in this category.

All participants for this online version were selected randomly from World Wide Web sites through computer draw system and extracted from over 100,000 unions, associations, and corporate bodies that are listed online. This promotion takes place weekly.

Please note that your lucky winning number falls within our European booklet representative office in Europe as indicated in your play coupon. In view of this, your $USD2,500,000 (two million five hundred thousand dollars) will be released to you by any of our payment offices in
Europe.

Our European agent will immediately commence the process to facilitate the release of your funds as soon as you contact him. For security reasons, you are advised to keep your winning information confidential till your claim is processed and your money remitted to you in whatever manner you deem fit to receive your prize. This is part of our precautionary measure to avoid double claiming and unwarranted abuse of this program. Please be warned!!

To file for your claim, contact our fiduciary agent:

<http://www.uknationallottery.com/meettheteam.php>
http://www.national-lottery.co.uk/player/p/home/home.do

Fill out the verification form/information below and send back to :

Mr.BRIAN HUNT
Email brian_lotto_uk@yahoo.co.uk
phone: +447031948020

FULL NAMES OF BENEFICIARY:........................

CONTACT ADDRESS:..................................

CITY/STATE:.......................................

NATIONALITY:......................................

SEX:.......................AGE:...................

MARITAL STATUS...................................

TEL NO:...........................................

NEXT OF KIN:......................................

ANNUAL INCOME:....................................

AMOUNT WON:.......................................

REFENCE NO:................BATCH NO:..............

LUCKY NO:..................TICKET NO..............

SERIAL NO:.................LOTTERY DATE:..........

Congratulations once again from all members and staff of this
program. Thank you for being part of our promotional lottery
programs.

Yours faithfully,
THOMAS BARNES
Online coordinator for UK NATIONAL LOTTERY
Sweepstakes International Program

You must be 16 or over to play or claim a prize

CONFIDENTIAL NOTICE: This email message, including any attachments, is intended only for the use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and prohibited from unauthorized disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, any dissemination, distribution or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you received this message in error, please notify the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.

Copyright © 1994-2005 The UK National Lottery Inc.
All rights reserved. Terms of Service - Guidelines

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

|  IP: Logged

Tim Drage
Film Handler

- posted September 10, 2005 10:33 AM      Profile for Tim Drage   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Drage   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very clearly a scam. I get at least 3 of these a day! [Smile]

If you've won something you didn't enter that's a pretty good sign it's not for real! [Smile]

These days you should pretty much discard any email from any company as spam just to be on the safe side! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Tim Drage
Animator & Director
Spite Your Face Productions
http://www.spiteyourface.com

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted September 10, 2005 10:39 AM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jan, looks like you won scam number 419! Check it out;

http://www.joewein.de/sw/419-phone-za.htm

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted September 10, 2005 10:51 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ahhhhh, thanks Tim and Dan! I didn't know about the significance of the phone # nor its connection (no pun intended) to Nigeria. Yep. Total scam... but man, they're getting good. Had me - ME of all people, the paranoid security-conscious power user - doubting for a few moments. The web sites this email links to appear completely legitimate as well (and this UK lottery probably really exists, only if it does this email didn't come from them - that's pretty safe to assume).
Anyway, thanks guys - especially Dan, for the really useful 419 scam info site. [Smile]

--------------------

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 11, 2005 11:54 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jan,

"The National Lottery" headquarters is in Watford, Herts, so I think this is a complete scam, so please ignore.

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted September 11, 2005 12:59 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ignore what? What are you talking about [Wink]

--------------------

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 14, 2005 12:08 PM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can just visualise one of the Monty Python team shouting, "SCAM, SCAM, SCAM"! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

OR, - "SCAM, SCAM, EGGS & SCAM"! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Dave.

--------------------
Dave.

Valves and celluloid - a great combination!
Early technology rules OK!

Trevor Adams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 18, 2005 04:12 PM      Profile for Trevor Adams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ya gotta have a ticket to be in to win! [Wink]

--------------------
Trevor

Steven Sigel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 24, 2005 11:27 PM      Profile for Steven Sigel   Email Steven Sigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jan --

As others have told you, this is obviously a scam. Here are some rules to follow when you get these emails:

Rule #1: If it sounds too good to be true it is
Rule #2: If you really won something, tney wouldn't email you. They would send you a registered letter.
Rule #3: There is no Rule #3
Rule #4: No real company uses "Yahoo" email addresses.
Rule #5: A real email (From any company) would address you by name.
Rule #6: Any official notification wouldn't have grammer problems, or other oddities. In this case - why the heck would a lottery in the UK give you money in $US?? Nor would a lottery number be attached to a random email address.
Rule #7: Any and all attempts to gain information from you are scams. Never give out any information to anyone.

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted September 25, 2005 12:23 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steven,

who are you and what do you want from me!!!

[Wink] [Big Grin]

--------------------

Steven Sigel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 25, 2005 08:35 AM      Profile for Steven Sigel   Email Steven Sigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
$26.

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted September 25, 2005 01:43 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's funny. [Big Grin] Well, I just sent you the money so there you go. [Smile]

(For those who are confused now - I'm buying an Eiki 50mm lens from him...)

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC