8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Super8mm to DVD SOUND?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Super8mm to DVD SOUND?
Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted September 13, 2005 11:16 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Transfering from super 8mm to DVD, (or video) is relativly straight forward but here is a problem i wonder if anyone can help with.
1/ How do u mute sound for silent films. i.e, i dont want to pick up any sound of the projector running or anything going on around.
2 / for sound films the same again but i only want to get the sound of the film, how should i connect for audio? [Frown]

|  IP: Logged

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 13, 2005 11:53 AM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Tom there is a thread on this topic under the 8mm fourm titled "Copying cine film" hope this helps

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

Steven Sigel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 13, 2005 03:04 PM      Profile for Steven Sigel   Email Steven Sigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom --

I'm not sure I understand -- if you are using direct input of the sound from the projector into the DVD recorder - then just don't plug anything into the audio input jacks - you'll get silence. If you are using a microphone (bad idea for sound films too), just unplug it to get silence... Am I missing something???

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted September 14, 2005 01:25 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve i may not have explained my self to well.
I use a small canon DV cam corder. I set the projector up pointing to the little cine to video transfer box with the cam corder looking into the appropriate glass. I.E .picture is ready to project all i have to do is press rec on the camera to start getting the picture.
Its how i can cut off the sound recording of the cam,(which i dont think i can do) or for sound films i'm trying to work the best way to conn the Elmo's aux out to the cam corder>
maybe theres an easier way. (i' m getting to the point where i think it may be easier to just get them done by a pro. [Confused]

Steven Sigel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 14, 2005 01:40 PM      Profile for Steven Sigel   Email Steven Sigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the camera has an Aux input, just plug a cable into it (not connected to anything else)... That should disable the microphone. Or if that doesn't work, there will be a setting in the camera to take the sound from the aux input rather than the mic...

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted September 14, 2005 08:13 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you can't disable the camera's microphone and/or connect your projector's line-out to the camcorder... how about this: Just go ahead and transfer the film to your computer... then, using whatever video editing software you have, remove the sound part and replace it with an audio recording taken directly from the projector (meaning, you capture the film, then run the projector a second time and capture just the audio using your PC's sound card). This shouldn't cause too much problems with the picture and sound running out of sync in your finished video file, either... a bit complicated, I know, but it's one way to do it if all else fails. [Smile]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted September 15, 2005 11:26 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks men, i'll try these suggestions. [Wink]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC