8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Is 9.5 mm film still being produced?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is 9.5 mm film still being produced?
Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted October 21, 2005 05:31 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just open The Celluloid Image website refereed by a member of this forum.

I don't know if I have misunderstood, but I found on advertisement someone selling 9.5mm film stock. Is this format still being produced?

If is this right, I am quite surprised!. Yes, while K-40 was withdrwan and the number of super 8 users also (be honest) decreasing, but 9.5 mm is still alive?

Who is today making this format and how big is the user population in UK?

Thanks for the info,

--------------------
Winbert

|  IP: Logged

Barry Johnson
Master Film Handler

- posted October 21, 2005 09:35 AM      Profile for Barry Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sure is! f you investigate that website further you will find details of fresh 9.5mm colour stock and supply of chargers etc.

--------------------
Standard8 rules!!

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted October 21, 2005 12:23 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
9.5mm is alive and well in the UK. Anyone who wants to shoot 9.5mm color or b/w film can do so, and will get quality indistinguishable from 16mm. And of course collecting and showing old 9.5mm printed silent and sound films is still a big part of the 9.5mm scene.
There's something very special about 9.5mm.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted October 21, 2005 07:21 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, these brand new 9.5 colour and b/w stocks are "handcrafted" (meaning cut and custom made for this particular gauge) or factory made?

If it is factory made, which company still manufacture it, Fuji or Kodak?

Thanks,

--------------------
Winbert

George Patoulidis
Film Handler

- posted October 22, 2005 02:36 AM      Profile for George Patoulidis   Email George Patoulidis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check this page Winbert.
http://www.pathefilm.freeserve.co.uk/95ninefive.htm
A lot of info for everything related to 9.5mm.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted October 22, 2005 04:32 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi again,
I know it is better to drop this question to 9.5 forum, but I prefer to do here, since I knew that I will get a quick answer and friendly.

I opened the above recommended site and found the answer that 9.5 mmm stocks are available from Fuji. But is this the genuine Fuji's products, meaning Fuji is keeping the stock as their part of service? Like what they do with Single 8?

Or someone in UK is "crafting" the 16mm or 35mm Fuji stocks to be 9.5mm?

thanks,

--------------------
Winbert

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted October 22, 2005 12:22 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would tend to think that 16mm/35mm film stock is slit down to the 9.5mm size, but despite a Google search I can't tell you for sure. You might be better off joining a 9.5mm forum and asking your question there. [Smile]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted October 23, 2005 09:10 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jan,

If that the case, wouldn't that 9.5 mmm be as expensive as 16mm? since 16 - 9.5 = 6.5 mm will be wasted!?

This is a different case with double 8 which exactly come from 16mm slit down to exactly 8mm respectively.

I tried to go that 9.5 fourm but no one was there...empty!.

Any answer will kill my curiosity and broaden my knowledge.

Thanks

--------------------
Winbert

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted October 23, 2005 11:23 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good question... is 9.5mm stock as expensive as 16mm? I don't know so I have to ask you that question. [Wink]

Maybe Fuji does manufacture 9.5mm from scratch, much like Kodak makes super-8 stock from scratch (even though some of it uses the same emulsions as their 16mm/35mm stock). After all, Fuji also still manufactures and sells their Single-8 film in Japan. (like super-8 but on polyester stock, silent only but may be sound-striped at the time of processing)

While searching via Google, I came across one interesting article... it says that 9.5mm and 16mm have the same number of frames per length of film (meaning that, say, a 400ft. reel of 9.5mm film and a 400ft. reel of 16mm film would have the same playing time at the same frame rate).
The article went on to say that some 9.5mm enthusiasts even went so far as to take 16mm film, cut off its perforated edges, and then punch new sprocket holes in the middle of the film between every two frames - thus coming up with a projectable 9.5mm film!! Amazing. [Cool]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Tim Drage
Film Handler

- posted October 23, 2005 04:42 PM      Profile for Tim Drage   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Drage   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The stock you can buy has indeed been slit + reperfed... not sure if it's from 16mm or 35, i'm assuming 16.

It is certainly very expensive!

I really wanna shoot some tho! Got a Pathe camera which seems to work so I'm gonna give it a go some time! I don't have a projector yet though!

I really love the idea of 9.5, just coz it's so obscure, and such an ingenious but slightly insane idea to have the sprocket holes between frames! [Smile]

--------------------
Tim Drage
Animator & Director
Spite Your Face Productions
http://www.spiteyourface.com

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted October 24, 2005 10:56 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The advantages of 9.5mm are well known- 16mm quality in a film size only slightly larger than 8mm. I recently projected some vintage 9.5mm printed film and was immediately struck by how superior the quality is to even modern super 8mm. The 9.5mm black and white prints have a beautiful richness and contrast and razor sharp edge-to-edge immagery, just as good as 16mm. I have never seen 9.5mm color film, but can only imagine how good it looks when projected on a modern machine like the 9.5mm Buckingham EIKI.
I like to dabble in vintage 9.5mm. I have a Pathe Baby and a Pathe Ace, and showing those old silent 9.5mm Chaplins, Popeyes, and Mickey Mouse films on a hand cranked Pathe machine with a 20 watt bulb has a special magic of its own, kids brought up on video are captivated by it.
Yes the center sprocket had its own peculiar problems, mainly brought about by projection on sprocketless machines, but with good well maintained equipment 9.5mm will deliver stunning quality.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC