8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Super 8mm transfer to video color shift

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Super 8mm transfer to video color shift
Thomas Beiter
Junior

- posted October 24, 2005 08:14 AM      Profile for Thomas Beiter   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,

I've been trying to transfer some of my family's home movies to video so I can eventually copy to DVD. I purchased one of the Ambico video transfer systems. Basically you shine the super 8 projector into a window and film with a video camera from the side. Everything works great, except I've noticed the color I capture has a distinct blue shift. Skin tones look purple, etc. This is not on the film which has beautiful color. Thinking it might be a side affect of the video transfer unit, I tried filming from white poster board and had the same problem. Has anyone experienced this before or know how I can adjust the video camera or the procedure of how I'm capturing to correct the color shift?

Thanks,

Tom

|  IP: Logged

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted October 24, 2005 08:34 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thomas, did you try changing the camera shutter setting? The "indoor" or "outdoor" white balance settings have an effect on colours.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted October 24, 2005 04:09 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom here to, I have tried this in a similar way but the problem i had using my 1200hd was a very bright centre part of the picture as if though the video (DV tape) couldnt handle the brightness and also a similar colour shift but not so much as yours Thomas. I see that KW and Derann both do transfers and i'm gradualy thinking of passing them to a proffesional, i've been trying for almost a year and it cam get frustrating. I've used Videostudio7 and Roxio softwares for the DVD transfer but dam problems no matter what. [Mad]
Ref my previous postings on this subject. The Video camcorder is superb to a nice little canon 700i.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted October 24, 2005 04:55 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thomas,
If you were using a digital cameras, don't rely on its auto capability since the camera will get confused with the moving objects. So, be manual and set your camera to indoor, considering that projector bulb is basically tungsteen, to balance the blueish.

Also you have to make sure with the manual focus by taking a sample-non moving object-such as letters. Then you know the exactly measurement of the lense. Because, if the camera is using auto foucs, on the darkness, it will get confused between close and far objects on the picture, while actually the distance between camera and the screen is the same.

I have done with my Panasonic Mini DV and I have posted it in this forum (but in a different issue). Click here to see the result.

Thnaks

--------------------
Winbert

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC