8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Theater company logo from 70's....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Theater company logo from 70's....
James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 28, 2005 09:11 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi-

I remember going to the movies alot in the latter part of the 70's, and there was a company that had an animated logo that was showed between the trailers and the feature. It was something like two reels turning slowly, and dots coming out of the lens in a straight line. This was accompanied by catchy tune of symbols banging rythmically. The tune is played sometimes now at other theater companies, but I wish I knew what company that was.

Can anyone help??

Nick.

|  IP: Logged

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted October 28, 2005 10:55 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
James, were the other people in theatre seeing and hearing these things also? [Big Grin]

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 29, 2005 02:20 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dan, would you happen to be insituating that I might be
C-R-A-Z-Y or something [Eek!] [Mad] [Smile] [Roll Eyes]

Well, I might be, just a little. But I definately saw and heard this stuff. Hey, maybe the projectionist was crazy!?

Nick.

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted October 29, 2005 06:20 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, James, I just couldn't resist. Actually, I didi a google search about these effects and didn't find anything, but if I do I'll post the results. [Smile]

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 30, 2005 09:30 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
General Cinema Corporation was located in Framingham Massachusetts and had theaters all over the country. Part of the Pepsi company, later became Heartcourt General which was a publishing company. As times changed, the company fell on hard econimic times. Recently the company was bought out and now what remains of original GCC complexes are now AMC theaters.

But this was the company that had the logo you remember. The "G" formed the picture/sound head. And each "C" were upper/lower reels. I remember it well.

One of their last Feature Presentation trailers can befound at Classic Home Cinema on the trailer of The Mummy with Pit & The Pendelem. This is in scope only. This is not the logo you remember, but is really fantastic sound through a stereo system.

Hope this information helps. I positively know this is what you saw. Remember that the film from Classic Home Cinema is GCC genuine product, but is different graphics, and will not be the animated projector.

CG

Douglas Meltzer

- posted October 31, 2005 09:00 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice work, Chip! This site has a certificate with the GCC logo. Is this it, Nick?
http://www.scripophily.net/gencimcor.html

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 01, 2005 06:38 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you so much guys! That is definately it.

I would love to have this intro on super 8, but if not, in any format.

I especially remember this logo from the summer of '77 when I visited the cinemas for several showings of Star Wars. I'd love to tack this on the front of my super 8 print of this. Talk about going back in time. Who says you need a Delorian? [Wink]

Nick.

PS- Chip, I have the trailer reel you refer to. I havent viewed it recently, so I'll have to watch it today to see the ad you refer to.

Thanks again.

Edward Guinea
Junior

- posted November 01, 2005 05:45 PM      Profile for Edward Guinea     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the General Cinema opening trailer on 35mm if you're interested

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 08, 2005 02:39 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Edward- Yes, I am interested in purchasing this intro from you. Could you please E-Mail me with the details?

Thanks.

Nick.

PS- Sorry for taking so long to respond, I've been out of town for a while.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC