8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » 9.5mm Advice Sought

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 9.5mm Advice Sought
Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 15, 2005 04:56 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well it had to happen I suppose. Interested in the 9.5mm format and looking for any advice that you more experienced cine lovers could impart on all aspects of this format

Thanks

--------------------
Tony

|  IP: Logged

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted November 15, 2005 05:44 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Tony,
Glad to see you have finally come out of the closet and announced your iterest in 9.5mm! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
Seriously though, I can think of nothing better to start you out than a visit to Grahame Newnham's superb 9.5mm web site:
http://www.pathefilm.freeserve.co.uk/95ninefive.htm

And then follow Grahame's links to other 9.5mm sites such as the Vintage Film site.
http://www.pathescope.freeserve.co.uk/index.html

I had the pleasure of meeting Grahame at the October Tadley 'Bigscreen Time'. He is a charming and elegant gentleman, so if you have any specific questions on 9.5mm I'm sure he would be pleased to help you.
Another excellent contact is Tony at Buckingham films:
http://www.pathescope.freeserve.co.uk/bfv/bfv.htm
Tony converts 16mm Eiki machines to 9.5mm (the 9.5mm 'Buckingham' projector). He gave me a 'tour' of one of them and they are really superb. You can get silent or optical and magnetic sound versions, and his shop in Buckingham is a 9.5mm Aladins cave. I know, I have been there, and if you go you will not be able to tear yourself away. Better hurry though because I think Tony is contemplating moving out of his present store.
There is a wealth of used 9.5mm vintage printed films, and the quality is usually indistinguishable from 16mm, since 9.5mm picture area is about 80% of 16mm.
France is a great source of 9.5mm films and film equipment and Jean-Marc Tussaint may be able to help you if you are looking at specific items not generally available in the UK, Heurtier projectors for example.
Welcome to 9.5mm!

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Barry Johnson
Master Film Handler

- posted November 16, 2005 07:44 AM      Profile for Barry Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For those of you who are interested,I contribute regularly to this website on Standard8.You will find my ramblings on "The Back Page"

--------------------
Standard8 rules!!

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted November 16, 2005 11:19 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to say Tony/Paul that 9.5mm has fascinated me too but I have never gone any further than just read up about the formats technicalities.
Those are great links Paul [Smile]

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted November 16, 2005 12:12 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Kev,
Even though most of my interest is of course in S8, I do like to dabble in 9.5mm. In fact my interest in Cine was originally sparked when I aquired the little Pathescope Ace projector as a youngster:
http://www.pathefilm.freeserve.co.uk/95gearpat1ace.htm

I found this little machine totally fascinating, and I was soon running 9.5mm film shows in my parents back yard shed, charging all the kids in the neighrourhood 6p for admission to watch Popeye, Mickey Mouse, and Charlie Chaplin!
I now have a couple of 9.5mm projectors and a handful of 9.5mm silent films which I keep on display alongside my S8 equipment. Kids (and adult kids!) are really intrigued by these hand cranked movie projectors, and its a great reminder about the birth of the cinema.
From Pathe ACE to Elmo GS1200, quite a leap in technology!

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted November 16, 2005 02:57 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a hand cranked 9.5mm projector when I was a kid with a copy of "Mickey's Circus". I dont know what the machine was but am sure it was a Pathe. It had a small lamp which fitted into the top of the machine and could be moved up or down for best light coverage. I do remember that it was a more round edged design. I have looked through those links to see if i could find something which might look like this machine but didnt find anything. Once again it had the black crinkle finish and the machine was all metal.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Trevor Adams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 17, 2005 04:16 AM      Profile for Trevor Adams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like Paul,I have a bit of a fascination with 9.5.This has led me to aquire all sorts of old toy type projectors-mostly made in the 1930s. I'd have to be nuts to feed film to the majority of them!Single claws are pretty harsh on old sprocket holes. The quaintest machinesI have are about the size of a pack of cards,Swiss made and named Micro-Cine and Presenta Pocket Cine. Surprisingly they project a good 10 inch wide picture and,with their lamp removed,can be used a a viewer! Worst 9.5 projector title goes to the dreadful 6d Woolworths RADEX thing. Other interesting 9.5ers are the camera/projector combos,like the Screnus("from scene to screen with one machine"),Campro and well made but difficult to operate,Midas.Trev

--------------------
Trevor

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 18, 2005 12:39 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tony

Greetings from Australia [Wink] .

You should check out 'Photographica' in Arundel, West Sussex. It's run by a very nice man called Chris Nichols who is a true gentleman, he has also been in the photographic trade for many many years and is very knowledgable about all things photographic - both cine and still.

He usually has a good selection of cine equipment and probably the largest of 9.5mm I have seen any where.

If you do make contact with him give him my regards!

Mike

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted November 18, 2005 04:40 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey good to hear from you...Australia! Well I bet your nice and warm while here in the UK we are having one of the coldest snaps for I dont know how long. It made -5 last night [Frown]
Take care and keep us all up todate with the trip [Smile]

Kev.

--------------------

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted November 19, 2005 06:57 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I take it that's -5 Celsius [Cool] (<-- now why am I using the smiley with the sunglasses here!) well, it's not much better here in Ohio... temperatures below freezing, have had some snow flurries already as well... I predict a white Christmas. No - make that a whiteout Christmas. [Wink]

Oh, and... hi Mike!! [Smile] [Smile]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 20, 2005 03:14 AM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many thanks for the advice, will be checking it all out in the near future

--------------------
Tony

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 23, 2005 09:48 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mike,

Just to say "it's good to hear from you again".

Best,

Dave.

--------------------
Dave.

Valves and celluloid - a great combination!
Early technology rules OK!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC