8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Any smokers in the house?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Any smokers in the house?
Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 27, 2005 11:43 AM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are lucky to have a smoker staying with us for a few days and although it is not exactly good for the old health, the projector light is fantastic as you can see the beam flickering and changing just like it used to in cinemas all those years ago...

,,,,,,now if only the wife would put on the usherette outfit I bought her [Wink] [Smile]

--------------------
Tony

|  IP: Logged

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted November 27, 2005 12:37 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome [Smile] Maybe after your smoker friend has left, you could start lighting candles around the screening room to achieve the same effect (and provide very subdued ambient lighting at the same time) [Smile]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Scott G. Bruce
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 27, 2005 12:59 PM      Profile for Scott G. Bruce   Email Scott G. Bruce   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This post brings to mind scenes from the recent film "Good Night and Good Luck," which has many, many beautiful black and white shots of smokers and their smoke. The aesthetic is very pleasing, even for the non-smoker.

I'm not sure that candles will produce the same effect, unless you stick some stogies in your candlesticks, but I could be wrong. SGB

--------------------
"Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!"

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted November 27, 2005 05:14 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I give up.....What are stogies? [Confused]

Kev [Smile]

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Scott G. Bruce
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 27, 2005 05:22 PM      Profile for Scott G. Bruce   Email Scott G. Bruce   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
STOGY (also STOGIE) US English: 1. a long narrow roughly-made cigar; 2. a rough heavy boot. [orig. "stoga", short for "Conestoga" in Pennsylvania].

God bless the Concise Oxford Dictionary!

SGB

--------------------
"Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!"

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 27, 2005 06:30 PM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I reckon burning insence sticks in the room should have the same effect within the lightbeam as cigarette or cigar smoke yet ensure nobody suffers ill health or ends up smelling like last night's ashtray in the process. The cheaper ones usually send out more visible exhaust fumes than the luxury brands - loads on Ebay & at local markets with all sorts of exotic holders to match. And no I don't have any to sell at the moment but might just stock up if there is a rush for them!
Kevin
PS: Cigarette and cigar smoke is a definte no-no around LCD projectors as it goes straight through the filters, sticks to the panels and gets baked on as the panels get hotter in use causing permanent picture quality drop / panel damage not curable by the good old aeroduster.

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted November 27, 2005 10:35 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
KC, that is a BRILLIANT idea! Perfect for those Christmas screenings! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC