8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » King Kong 2005 (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: King Kong 2005
Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted December 08, 2005 07:33 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw the film this morning, since my lovely better half was kind enough to take me to the advance screening.
Being a great fan of the original film and of the original character (and - I confess - with a soft spot for his various incarnations through movie history), I was both excited to see a new "Kong" and apprehensive...
I am not disappointed. The film is wonderful. It is not the original 1933 picture, nothing will ever surpass it. But it is very close. Probably the best tribute ever. It didn't feel like 3 hrs & 8min long, as it is packed to the gills with great action scenes. It is also very faithful to the original story (and full of in-jokes and references). I really had a great time.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

|  IP: Logged

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted December 08, 2005 08:37 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
One for the 8mm format??? Would it make a good super 8 release perhaps. Maybe we should get Derann to do this one next for the 8mm collector.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted December 08, 2005 08:53 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kev, that would be a 10 or 11 x 400 ft release. I doubt many people would be able to afford it.

But the Bronto stampede, the T-rex fight or the NY car chase would make excellent extracts.

--------------------

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted December 08, 2005 05:36 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe we will have to work on Derann over the course of 2006.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted December 10, 2005 10:48 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What an idea!

If this one comes out on super-8, I may just go for a copy of it... unlike Master & Commander which I just couldn't warm up to enough to justify spending the money... but the new King Kong... now that's different. I've yet to even see it but I can hardly wait. [Smile]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 10, 2005 12:45 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well those of us who are married, will have the significant other going "bananas" after we pay for such an expensive film.

It's a good thing I'm single.

taa-boom-tish

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 10, 2005 02:02 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can see the similarity between myself and King Kong.............

Ape like with a penchant for Blondes [Big Grin]

--------------------
Tony

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted December 10, 2005 06:54 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, that's alright Chip - I got my spouse to the point of merely walking away with a headshake and a sad sigh, knowing that I'm well beyond hope [Big Grin]

--------------------

Roger Manning Jr
Film Handler

- posted December 19, 2005 11:06 AM      Profile for Roger Manning Jr   Email Roger Manning Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, My wfe and I went last night to see this and and all I can say is bad movie. Bad acting, Bad actors,Way to long and draged out, could of been a two hour movie at the most, I sat their watching it thinking is this sceene ever going to end? over and over again.
I think Peter Jackson was trying to hard after coming off of Lord Of The Rings thinking he had to make another three plus hour movie. We almost walked out but after paying $30.00 for the two of us we stayed.

--------------------
Roger Manning Jr.

Scott G. Bruce
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 19, 2005 11:49 AM      Profile for Scott G. Bruce   Email Scott G. Bruce   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen the film yet, but I've been following the reviews and found it interesting to hear some people complain both about the excessive length and about the fact that Jackson's KING KONG isn't doing anything that Spielberg didn't do years ago with JURASSIC PARK. Would those of you who have seen the film agree?

I'm planning on going (hell, I'll see almost any movie with dinosaurs in it), but I've lowered my expectations somewhat. The original with Fay Wray is just so magical, for want of a better word, that I can't really see how a modern CGI-driven movie could top it.

SGB

--------------------
"Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!"

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 19, 2005 12:15 PM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes it is a little too long, but I found it enthralling, and the CGI acting of "Kong" is breathtaking, and Naomi Watts really is believable in the pivotal role of Ann Durrow. Mind you it's worth going just for the "Kong" Vs. the Dinosaurs fight alone, spectacular!

Scott G. Bruce
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 19, 2005 12:54 PM      Profile for Scott G. Bruce   Email Scott G. Bruce   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*cough*cough* Apparently I was so star-struck by the thought of the CGI allosaurs that I forgot to mention the visual appeal of the beautiful Ms. Watts. What the hell is wrong with me?!? SGB

--------------------

Del Phillipson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 19, 2005 02:04 PM      Profile for Del Phillipson   Email Del Phillipson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I went to see the film last Thursday, the first preview time available, you see the original King Kong is in my top 2 films of all time. I went a little apprehensive because of the CGI and the trailers I had seen I wasn't that impressed with, but I thought what the heck, Jackson loves the film so he ain't gonna destroy it. I walked out at the end with a lump in my throat, to put it bluntly, it was superb, not as good as the original, but nothing ever will be. I loved it when he paid homage to the original, when he first unvails Kong in New York with around 10/15 minutes of original Max Steiner music and the original native war dance. There was a couple of down sides, but too many good points to spoil it, for anyone out there who hasn't yet seen it, go and get it watched, you won't regret it.

Del.

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted December 19, 2005 03:54 PM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] [Big Grin]
References to the original are a-plenty. Some entire dialogues are even picked-up from the 1933 film. But did you spot the missing scenes?
The whole "you're feeling uneasy, Ann..." shooting sequence, that you see in the trailer, for instance, is missing from the film.

--------------------

Del Phillipson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 19, 2005 04:17 PM      Profile for Del Phillipson   Email Del Phillipson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jean-Marc, remember this is Peter 4 disc Jackson we are talking about, the king of directors cuts. Expect a 4 disc directors cut around 6 months after the initial dvd release lasting around 4 hours [Big Grin] can't wait.

Del.

Scott G. Bruce
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 19, 2005 04:44 PM      Profile for Scott G. Bruce   Email Scott G. Bruce   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
YES! More allosaurs! I mean, more Ms. Watts!!! SGB

--------------------

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted December 20, 2005 03:09 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Del, I'm really looking forward to it. His "Kong is King" journal is already available on DVD. I don't like Lord of the Rings but Jackson has directed "The Frighteners", one of my favorite films ever, the extened collector edition of which is finally being released on disc...

--------------------

Del Phillipson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 21, 2005 11:36 AM      Profile for Del Phillipson   Email Del Phillipson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yes didn't buy the journal, I'm expecting it to be part of the 4 disc ultimate special extended directors cut edition to be released sometime soon. Will look pretty good through the 12ht.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted December 21, 2005 08:33 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've just seen it with 2 friends. We all thought it had some great moments, but it was frustrating in some respects. Kong and Naomi Watts were very impressive and they have some good scenes together, but I thought that the middle section had too much 'action movie' type overkill. It lost credibility with some totally ludicrous scenes - particularly the one when people are running in the midst of a herd of massive dinosaurs; even if they could have kept up, they would have all been knocked over and trampled to death!

I don't have any objection to films that are long and not fast-paced, but in this instance I really do think that a significantly better film could be made by carefully reducing the length by about an hour.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 24, 2005 12:41 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
in this instance I really do think that a significantly better film could be made by carefully reducing the length by about an hour.
Perhaps we should get the nice Mr Wilton to dust off his editing shears and whittle King Kong down to make a nice 8mm release? [Smile]

Mike

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted December 24, 2005 03:07 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So I've finally seen KING KONG 2005... not without watching the 1933 original at home first. And I'm ready to share my impressions...

Is the 2005 movie good? Yes. Perfect? No. Too long? Yes. Some scenes are indeed just too long, and the whole film in general could benefit from some editing - this would be one case where taking the term director's cut more literal could be a good thing. [Wink]
But I thoroughly enjoyed it, even the over-the-top action sequences. (And some people DID get stampeded to death by the dinosaurs, but what had me shaking my head was the dinos falling over themselves as if they'd totally lost their minds. [Big Grin] ) Ann Darrow and Kong are indeed great together and almost develop something like a romance, which is one big difference to the 1933 original - Fay Wray remains terrified of Kong all the way to the end, although she understands that he just wants her company.
I loved how Peter Jackson lifted entire scenes and lines of dialogue from the original, though - right down to the camera angles and framing. [Smile]
Speaking of camera, though... you know what really broke my heart?? When they all wake up in the spider pit, and Carl Denham (Jack Black) finds the shattered remains of his film camera with all that beautiful 35mm film laying over the place, ruined. Sniffle [Frown]
(That camera was the exact same one that 1933's Carl Denham used in the original film, by the way... I love all those details!)
Jack Black himself played his role rather well, I thought... all the actors did, at least none of them was horrible... but it is true: his delivery of the final line of dialogue at the end is surprisingly lackluster. The words are fine, it's the intonation that disappoints. Hopefully they'll re-dub that part in the studio before releasing the inevitable collector's edition DVD. [Eek!]

All in all... the 2005 King Kong is well done, with a few flaws... worth seeing, whether or not you're familiar with/a fan of the 1933 version.

[Smile]

--------------------

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted December 24, 2005 12:55 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"And some people DID get stampeded to death by the dinosaurs"

There were one or two, but in 'reality' I'm sure they would have all died - or got left behind after a few seconds! I realise that some will consider this nit-picking, but I can't help finding that I start losing interest in a film if we are asked to believe something that is totally impossible - even within the context of the story. If you think of how many steps each human would have to take to cover distance covered by just one step of an enormous running dinosaur, I feel a scene like this insults the intelligence of the audience. And that wasn't the only scene in which people show amazing ability to run away from whatever massive thing is after them. I later read some quotes from Peter Jackson in which he emphasised how important it was to make the audience find the film believable!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted December 24, 2005 02:12 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
True, Adrian, I agree - and while we're on the subject of believability, that wasn't the only flaw I found with the film. How about Kong jerking tiny, fragile Ann Darrow around like mad (i.e. during a fight with a T-Rex), even tossing her from one hand to the other? All she kept doing was "ugh" and "ohh," but certainly in real life the incredible G-forces would have seriously injured her, if not killed instantly.
But then, Kong himself and all the large animals moving as quick and swiftly as they did is unbelievable in the first place. Sadly, this "phenomenon" afflicts a whole lot of modern films with CGI animation - an utter disregard (or lack of knowledge?) on the part of filmmakers about things such as mass inertia, velocities and acceleration. In short, physical laws that wouldn't allow Kong to do these ultra-fast moves in real life.

I guess it comes down to trading aforementioned believability for simple thrills and over-the-top action scenes designed to entertain today's audiences. If George Lucas (Star Wars) and Steven Spielberg (War of the Worlds) aren't immune to making that mistake, then how can we expect Peter Jackson to be? [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted December 24, 2005 04:25 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jan - I'm pleased you pointed out the matter of G-forces and such like, which is another 'modern action film' pet hate of mine! The scene where several people are hanging on to the tree trunk, and manage to keep on doing so despite the way it moves around is a good example.
Anyone growing up watching such films could have a nasty shock; if they fall off a cliff, and think that they will survive by grabbing a rope or some vegetation that's within reach about half way down!

[ December 24, 2005, 08:04 PM: Message edited by: Adrian Winchester ]

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Kurt Gardner
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 24, 2005 07:42 PM      Profile for Kurt Gardner   Author's Homepage   Email Kurt Gardner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It does go on and on and on and on...

I appreciate the technology that went into it, but it didn't have the narrative drive of the "Rings" films to keep it going. The story is so familiar. And the scenes on Skull Island went on for-bloody-ever! What a strange combination of Spielbergian wonder and outright horror. Most telling of all is that I couldn't let my mind get away from the fact that I was watching a completely computer-invented world populated by digital creatures.

Don't get me wrong -- I'm a fan and I discovered Jackson when Magnum Video here in the States released "Bad Taste" in 1989. He has definitely become quite accomplished over the years, but this is a case of a studio (Universal) throwing tons of money at a successful filmmaker, allowing him carte blanche to fulfill his childhood fantasy, which was to make a very reverent, technically accomplished, very expensive and very L-O-N-G tribute to the movie that changed his life.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC