8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » King Kong 2005 (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: King Kong 2005
Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 25, 2005 01:14 AM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is all very well stated.

For me, the Spiderman movies were enabled by CGI, and they moved too fast in the action scenes. I remember seeing Spidermans close-up, as he passed in front of the camera. He was just a digital image flying around. The film was enjoyable, but over stimulated. This broke the illusion of belief for me.

The film TV film critics Ebert & Roper, commented that the Spiderman GGI, needed more 'weight' as he soared from building to building.

Although I will see Kong this week, I am curious as to how Bruce Cabot's original role of he-man sailor will translate to screenwriter in the form of Adrien Brody.

Merriam Cooper and Walter Schosdack, were big time game hunters.
Is Jack Black also the adventurous macho he man character of Carl Denham (Robert Armstrong)?

Michael

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

|  IP: Logged

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted December 25, 2005 03:14 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jack Black actually comes across as more of a coward than the 1933 character did... Adrien Brody's role as Jack Driscoll the writer is definitely different from the original, and he's charming and works well in the 2005 movie. [Smile]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Scott G. Bruce
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 28, 2005 11:34 PM      Profile for Scott G. Bruce   Email Scott G. Bruce   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, I finally saw KING KONG this evening and even with fairly low expectations I found it to be a very disappointing outing. I don't want to rant, but several points are worth mentioning.

1. The film should have been called KING LONG. Peter Jackson has now reached that stage of mega-stardom (or megalomania) where no one is going to tell him when he's making a mistake. The film is simply too long, especially the first hour, where several shallow characters receive significant "development" time but in fact never really develop. In contrast, the original 1933 film had a much better narrative economy that keep the movie rolling along at a good pace.

2. Most of the CGI scenes (bronto chase, allosaur fight, spider pit) were simply gratuitous and lacked any hint of subtlety. Here I am reminded of the cave troll fight in the Mines of Moria in FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING. Where the book builds tension and menace (you don't even see the cave troll, except for its foot -- knowing that it is there is frightening enough!), Jackson interprets the scene as an all-out battle royal. Same with the big CGI sequences in KONG -- there is simply no subtlety. They are either completely unbelievable and silly (especially the bronto chase, which has not even a hint of credible menace to the characters) or extremely disgusting (the spider pit scene in particular -- what was the point?). On the whole, I didn't feel like I saw anything tonight that I didn't see years ago in JURASSIC PARK.

3. On the plus side, I'll admit that Kong himself looked very nice (but the camera tended to linger on him too long, as though the director was admiring himself). And the stunning Ms. Watts put on a great performance. On the whole, however, it's my opinion that the characters took a back seat to the CGI virtuosity with the result that I felt like I was sitting through an elaborate, expensive, and ultimately very boring video game.

I'm too young to feel like I'm getting too old for this kind of film. That said, where is Ray Harryhausen when you need him?

Good night and good luck, SGB

--------------------
"Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!"

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted December 29, 2005 07:53 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott, you brought up some very good points... and at least two witty comments. Love the KING LONG moniker. [Big Grin] And the Ray Harryhausen comment just earned you a spot in my signature.

I agree that the CGI was too overboard, though... this is another oft-repeated mistake in today's films... while being able to show anything on film is nice, it tempts you too much to indeed try and show everything, rather than leave things to the viewer's imagination.

Your comparison to this film to a videogame was interesting as well, seeing as that there IS a game which was released simultaneously with the film, and (from reviews that I've seen) looks spectacularly alike. I wonder if movies and games are just becoming too much alike nowadays... wouldn't surprise me.

Next step in blockbuster movie making: 1. Create game. 2. Play a round and capture it to high-def video. 3. Print video to film. 4. Release to theatres and rake in the cash. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted December 30, 2005 12:33 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I finally saw this film over the holidays. All I can say is...Naomi Watts..Naomi Watts..Naomi..oops! This film was about King Kong wasn't it? [Smile]
I found the film to be very good but a little too long as others have stated. It never stopped once it got down to business after she is taken but the build up was lulling me to close my eyes every now and again.
I really liked the way that the relationship was built between the Beauty and the Beast. This to me was better than the original where Fay pretty much was terrified of Kong the entire time. Kind of makes you wonder why he wanted her in the first place!
I really didn't like Jack Black in the role of Denam. Every time he spoke it looked like he was going to raise his eyebrows and say something else. I never believed him as a filmaker.
Would I see it again? Probably not...I'll wait till it comes out on DVD and make a little Naomi Watts collage. Lets say it again...Naomi Watts..Naomi Watts.. [Smile]

Douglas Meltzer

- posted December 30, 2005 11:07 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like the new Kong. Not as compact or economical as the wonderful groundbreaking original, Peter Jackson's film has more emotion and character development. I enjoyed the leisurely paced set up in the first half. The CGI creation of Manhattan in the 1930's is almost as spectacular as Kong himself. Too long? Although I wasn't squirming in my seat, there's a good 45 minutes that could've been trimmed. Maybe Jackson was going for a LOTR ensemble by giving the secondary characters their own dramas (the relationship between Hayes, the first mate, and Jimmy) but much of that wouldn't be missed if removed.
The stampede goes on way too long and really strains credibility. Kong vs. three dinos was over the top but totally thrilling. I was wondering if Jackson would include the missing spider sequence from the original but he went overboard with the buggy creatures.
However, the relationship between Kong and Ann makes up for all that. To me, Kong is the first CGI figure that actually has weight (TriStar's Godzilla seemed light as a feather) and his expressions are a joy to watch. Naomi Watts deserves an Oscar for being the anchor of the whole film. Every close up, every reaction shot of her makes you believe the whole thing is really happening. The scene on the ice in Central Park is just wonderful. It makes the inevitable conclusion much more poignant.
I agree with Jan about Jack Black's reading of the final line. He disappears after Kong breaks loose and shows up at the end to deliver a lifeless interpretation of that classic phrase. What a bad way to end a good movie.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted December 30, 2005 01:44 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doug, you nailed it on the head...couldn't agree more! Even with its rather many flaws, King Kong 2005 excels in depicting the (dare I use this word) relationship between Ann Darrow and Kong... that made it all worth seeing. And, of course, you know you cared about these two characters when you can't help but shed maybe one little tear at the end, when he is too weak to hold on any longer and slides off the top of the Empire State building, with Ann watching helplessly. (Sigh.)

So, Mr. Jackson - we're all waiting for your director's CUT. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Scott G. Bruce
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 30, 2005 05:25 PM      Profile for Scott G. Bruce   Email Scott G. Bruce   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with you, Jan, that Doug has pinpointed the best aspect of the movie. Ms. Watts really did put in a fine performance. Unlike the sailors fleeing from the brontosaurs, she rarely looked like she was acting in front of a blue screen. She is really quite talented. And Kong himself was certainly the CGI hit of the movie. Wonderful expressions and some dynamic, realistic movement. Was their "relationship" all that believable? Her indebtedness to Kong was certainly compelling and a refreshing innovation. It did, however, completely water down her relationship with Driscoll, who weirdly always played second fiddle to Kong. Poor Adrian Brody. Move over, leading man. Here comes leading primate!

On another note, I was quite surprised at how shoddy the CGI looked in places. The native pole-vaulter looked particularly bad. I wonder how that slipped through?

SGB

--------------------

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted December 30, 2005 06:28 PM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doug: Jackson and his gang did recreate the spider sequence, in traditionnal stop-motion, with miniature sets and paintings. It is included as a bonus on the new dvd of the 1933 version. [Big Grin]

Side note: this is the best edition since the Criterion LD, the original film is complete, quality is top-notch and supplements (produced by Jackson) are simply jaw-dropping.

The final "beauty killed the beast" line was originally supposed to be delivered by Fay Wray herself but she died a few weeks before her cameo could be shot.

I've been a fan of Jack Black since the early days of Tenacious D (his band) and if you haven't seen "School of Rock" yet, just drop what you're doing and rent the DVD!
I think his approach of the character as a poor man's Orson Welles is quite interesting.

Got the video game for Christmas. It's way cool, especially the parts where you can play Kong.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Scott G. Bruce
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 31, 2005 04:13 PM      Profile for Scott G. Bruce   Email Scott G. Bruce   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What, what, WHAT?? Jean-Marc, I looked at the menu of special features on my new Kong DVD, but I don't see any reference to Jackson's recreation of the original spider pit scene. Where, oh where, can I find it??

SGB

--------------------

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 31, 2005 10:55 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw Kong. Regardless of the many flaws as everyone has very well stated, the film is phenomenal. This is all due to the inspiration which is drawn from the original '33 film. Jackson has created an enjoyable feature which I have not experienced on this level in years.

I especially enjoyed the references which were extracted from the original.
Bruce Baxter is being filmed next to Ann Darrow by Carl Denham, and he is speaking about women being a 'nuisance.' This dialog is the same between Fay Wray and Bruce Cabot as He-man Jack Driscoll.

As Scott pointed out, it is rather strange that Adrien Brody plays '3rd banana' [Big Grin]
next to Kong and Naomi Watts.

The stage reenactment in NY is perfect, as the costumed tribe people and sacrifice act are recreated from the '33 version.
Look and listen closely and the orchestral cues are from Max Stiener's original compositions. The conductor in the pit is a look alike for Stiener, with the glasses.

The acting is what I expected by 2005 standards. It was very good. I just favor Robert Armstrong, Bruce Cabot and Fay Wray over today's cast.
Fay Wray was a classic silent screen actress, and she brought all of that facial emoting that cannot be compared by today's actors. It's all in the eyes.

But I guess I'm chewing on the past again.

Michael
P.S. I only wonder if I would fathom to appreciate this version if the original had ever been made? I guess the Cooper / Schoedsack teaming with O'Brien's ingenuity deserves the credit it is due today as a monumental film. Otherwise this could have only amounted to monkey business.

[ January 01, 2006, 01:29 AM: Message edited by: Michael De Angelis ]

--------------------
hobby that we love!

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted January 02, 2006 02:49 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott, it's on the Warner version, the one sold in the big tin box.

--------------------

Scott G. Bruce
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 02, 2006 09:30 AM      Profile for Scott G. Bruce   Email Scott G. Bruce   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh crap, it figures. I bought the King Kong Collection box set (DVDs of Kong, Son Thereof, and Mighty Joe Young) during the presale (who could resist 50% off?). Didn't think to buy the tin. Dare I ask what else I'm missing?

SGB

--------------------

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted January 02, 2006 10:55 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott, did you really check the content of your 4-discs boxed-set?

Disc#1 is the 1933 film, #3 is for Son of Kong and #4 is Might Joe Young.

Have you looked at what's on disc#2? [Big Grin]

--------------------

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted January 02, 2006 07:08 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you REALLY want to see the recreated spider pit sequence for the 1933 film, and you REALLY don't have it on your DVD set - I thought there were two different sets with 3 discs each, not one with 3 and one with 4... - then you could, ahem, download that sequence (by itself) and watch it on your computer. That is what I did after watching the 1933 film from a rental DVD (NetFlix). The file I had was a high-quality MPEG file so just about anything should play it... It was pretty well done, too [Smile] Now I'm not advocating online piracy here, not even on a small scale, but if you must see the sequence "now" then... well... send me a PM. [Eek!] [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Scott G. Bruce
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 02, 2006 07:20 PM      Profile for Scott G. Bruce   Email Scott G. Bruce   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got the three movie set, but KONG does have an extra disk of, well, extras, including "I'm King Kong! The Exploits of Merian C. Cooper"; a new 7-part documentary "RKO Production 601: The Making of Kong"; and original CREATION test footage with Ray Harryhausen commentary. Now if I sat down and actually watched these extras, I might actually find the Spider Pit footage . . . Does any of this sound familiar, Jean-Marc? Is it part of these extras?

SGB

PS Sent you a PM just in case, Jan!

--------------------

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted January 02, 2006 08:19 PM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes...
It's part of the extras. Included in "Production 601" but can also be accessed as a stand-alone sequence.

--------------------

Scott G. Bruce
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 02, 2006 10:32 PM      Profile for Scott G. Bruce   Email Scott G. Bruce   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Found it! Jeez, what a maroon I am! I was one click away from the menu. Thanks for giving me that extra hint, Jean-Marc.

Just watched the documentary and the recreated Spider Pit scene. It is pretty cool (and I dare say much more enjoyable than the CGI version in the new movie!) and the amount of research that went into this 6 minute scene is truly impressive.

Definately worth a look, if you, like me, love the feel and idiom of stop-motion animation.

SGB

--------------------

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted January 02, 2006 10:39 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For what it's worth, the movie file I was talking about is in XviD format, not MPEG. Meaning it's close to DVD quality. [Big Grin]

Scott, I agree...the recreated 'classic' scene is great, the modern CGI spider pit sequence is downright yucky. That final scene where the one guy is having his arm sucked up, then his head ... I still shudder at the thought of it. Eww!

--------------------

Scott G. Bruce
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 02, 2006 10:54 PM      Profile for Scott G. Bruce   Email Scott G. Bruce   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yucky it was, Jan! And it became even yuckier for me when I learned that the Weta animators had christened those lamprey-like creatures "meat weasels." There is something decidedly unsavory about that appellation. Can't quite put my finger on it, but . . . YUCK!

SGB

--------------------

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted January 03, 2006 03:40 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And this "one guy" is Andy Sirkis, the man who plays Kong in the Movie (and who was Golum in LOTR).

Scott, Glad you finally found the Holy Grail! [Wink]

--------------------

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 03, 2006 03:47 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw this film just before Christmas. Cut something like an hour to an hour and a half out of it and it would have been good.

The end sequence going up the Empire State was outstanding and I really felt decidedly odd as Kong ascended knowing that he was going to be coming back down in freefall. Right, that's it he's going to fall now - look away. Oh, he's still there... perhaps he'll fall now... no, no, he's still there. Perhaps he'll fall in a few minutes. No, perhaps a few minutes longer. Oh bugger it, just bloody well fall off.

And by the time he did fall, the impact had been lost and I couldn't have cared less what happened to him. That is the problem with this film all the way through. It needed a film editor to take charge of the finished footage and excise all the superfluous rubbish.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Scott G. Bruce
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 03, 2006 06:22 PM      Profile for Scott G. Bruce   Email Scott G. Bruce   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks again, Jean-Marc.

It was so striking to me how labor intensive stop motion animation is and how frequently ideas and even specific creatures were recycled between 1930 and 1960. Didn't the spider-critters in Jackson's recreation of the lost scene remind you of the monsters in THE BLACK SCORPIAN, that early 1950s low budget Willis O'Brien effort? As I recall, there was a long underground sequence in that film (reminiscent of THEM!) that included not only giant scorpians but also other creepy crawlers very similar to those originally intended for KONG. Seems that O'Brien never lost touch with the lost scene, even decades later.

THE BLACK SCORPIAN is still worth a look for fans of the genre and it's available on DVD for as little as $6 plus postage on ebay. Has anyone ever seen it on super 8mm???

Ah, love them non-CGI critters.

SGB

--------------------

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 03, 2006 11:08 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wanted to share my Dad's impression of the new Kong.
......Three Hours? [Confused] ....'When Gone With the Wind came out, it was practically three hours.'

Indeed, what has happened to films that they all need to be sooo, loooong?
I nealy died when the new Titanic, went down for the third time.

And watching all that water, it was difficult to hold my own. [Big Grin]

Michael

--------------------
hobby that we love!

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC