8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » My computer is suddenlly slowing down, why?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My computer is suddenlly slowing down, why?
Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted December 10, 2005 11:42 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,
My computer is suddenly slowing down for all spects. If I move the mouse even the arrow will move slowly. If I chose between the active windows, it would take time to change.

I firstly suspected it was cuased by the viruses. I went to microsoft site and had it checked online. But the site (after dowloading a software) said that not any sectors were infected with virus.

So why my computer now is slowing down?

Thanks for your help.

--------------------
Winbert

|  IP: Logged

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted December 11, 2005 12:24 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First of all.... Microsoft doesn't do diddly squat to scan (let alone protect) your computer... What you need is a good virus scanner and a spyware removal tool.

Secondly, it would help to know what kind of computer you have and which version of Windows you're running, plus which web browser you're using. (If you're using IE, please dump it and get a real browser right now!!!) [Eek!]

For a comprehensive online virus scan, check out http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ (ironically, this website will only work in IE, though).

To scan for and remove spyware from your PC, download Ad-Aware from http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/ ...

For an excellent and free web browser, look no further than http://www.mozilla.com/ ...

Finally, be sure to visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ as well (again, in IE only) and download/install ALL of the critical software updates for your operating system.

That should cover it in a nutshell. Good luck! [Smile]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted December 11, 2005 12:48 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert, you dont say which OS you are using?

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted December 11, 2005 05:18 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,

I am using Windows XE as the OS and Mozilla as the browser. So, Jan, this not the issue of the browser...but something with the system.

thanks,

--------------------
Winbert

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted December 11, 2005 07:56 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I assume, of course, you meant Windows XP. [Wink]

My previous advice stands, with one exception: the Trend Micro Housecall site does work in Mozilla, too - they added a Java engine to their ActiveX scanner so you can run the virus scan in any browser now.

Let us know what happens...

--------------------

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted December 11, 2005 11:56 PM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert, Jan is right. Follow what he's advising you to do. I'm pretty sure that once you'll have Ad-Aware-SE operational, your computer will be much faster.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted December 12, 2005 01:52 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jan and Jean, (the same name from two different regions [Wink] )

Thanks for the advice.
I have visisted that site and had my computer checked. BUT the "transferring data" process was not completed even after I left my computer for one night!!!.

I went to this site http://www.trendmicro.com/hc_intro/default.asp and clicked on "Scan Now. It's Free!" link...

What is wrong...

cheers

--------------------
Winbert

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted December 12, 2005 02:09 PM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert, you should perform scans once the anti-spyware soft is installed on your hard drive.
Go to Lavasoft and download Ad-Aware. The "se" version is free. Then do the scan/quarantine procedure. I had the same problem as you on my PC a year ago and it is now running at top speed.

And, just so you know, French for Jan is Yann. My first name is "Jean-Marc", not "Jean". [Wink]

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted December 12, 2005 08:24 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Add to that the fact that, while I was born and raised in Germany, the name given to me by my parents is of Dutch origin - and although everybody here in the States calls me the American pronounciation of 'Jan', it really is supposed to sound like 'Yun" [Smile]

--------------------

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 14, 2005 04:01 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert,

I would do this first, before all of the other wonderful suggestions.

It's another tool which you will need to speed up your computer.

Go to Programs > Acessories > Disk Clean

This will run all of the temporary files.
Check the check boxes if you wish to delete them, and then say Ok to remove them. Give it some time to remove all of the temporary files that weigh down the computer.

Michael

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted December 14, 2005 08:52 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good idea, but certainly not the cause for sluggish mouse movements and things like that [Eek!]

--------------------

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted December 16, 2005 08:28 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Again in system tools run Disc Defragmenter. This can have effects on the overall machine performance as you hard disc will use hard disc space for Virtual Memory. If the disc is very Fragmented it will take longer for the machine to find all the parts of the (now fragmented) files its after and this will lead to this Jerky movement especially if the machine has little free memory.
You said XE as the OS. If you meant ME then the probs you are talking of are well known. Me is a very unstable OS and slowly grinds to a halt with age. If running ME then the best thing to do would be to upgrade to XP. Me also seems to fragment the file system at quite an alarming rate and suffers from more file corruption than Win 98 or the later XP.
If it is XP you are running then run the disc Cleanup and Defragmenter utilities first and then take it from there. Windows XP needs a good 128MB of ram to get it running with any real speed but runs much smoother with 512MB.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted December 17, 2005 01:53 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kevin's advice is spot-on.

Winbert, what's the status? Having any luck? Find anything?

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC