8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » DVD with a speed control?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: DVD with a speed control?
Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted January 12, 2006 08:42 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the other thread I throw a question regarding how to synchronize a GS1200 with a DVD during the show. The answer is using the speed control on the GS if there is a bit unsychronized soundtrack.

Ok, but not everybody has or afford to buy a GS.

On today's technology we have already had CD player with this kind of feauture. This CD usually owned by the DJ to synchronize between the first CD to the other. Knowing that CD's technology is in par with the DVD's....then do you guys know if there has been a DVD with the speed control in the market?

thanks,

--------------------
Winbert

|  IP: Logged

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted January 13, 2006 03:55 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
I use Win DVD on my PC and that has variable control but I'm not sure if it's fine enough for what you want. I will check it out.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted January 14, 2006 02:53 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cyberlink's PowerDVD, which I use on my Windows XP computer, plays DVDs at any speed from slow-motion all the way to fast forward using an on-screen jog shuttle. A clever little tip: if you can, copy the entire contents of your movie DVD to the PC's harddisk first, then play the movie from the HD. That way random access to the data files becomes near-instantaneous and the player won't lag, regardless of how much you (ab)use the forward/backward functions during playback.

Interestingly enough, our real DVD player (an old Fisher DVD-S1000) just died so I picked up a new Panasonic DVD-S29S - and found that it has a very cool feature of being able to play DVDs at speeds ranging from 0.6x to 1.4x, adjustable in steps of 0.01 ... with the sound running faster or slower, but keeping the correct pitch as well!

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted January 15, 2006 07:06 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
That may be the way forward for you guys in the US etc who need to run DVD's at 25fps to use with the Pedro sync box. Also the same here in the UK and Europe where we need to run at 23.98fps to sync up with NTSC discs.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted January 15, 2006 02:59 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jan,
Just to double check, when you play the speed on your new DVD it means the sound wil also be heard with pitch changing, doesn't it?

Is the variable speed feature based by multiplying the frames or real time speed change like what we have in Turntable (the pitch adjustment)?

Kev, I was always questioning about the Pedro's box. Could you refer me to the particular psot in this forum that is discussing it, especially how to use it and what is the main feature.

thanks,

--------------------
Winbert

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted January 15, 2006 04:36 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, the sound keeps sync with the picture, but is stretched or compressed to stay at its original pitch... I'm guessing the player doubles some frames (when playing faster) or drops them (when playing slower) - but the whole thing works surprisingly well, so much that it seems indeed like a useful feature rather than just a gimmick.

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC