8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » King Kong 1933

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: King Kong 1933
Scott G. Bruce
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 13, 2006 07:41 AM      Profile for Scott G. Bruce   Email Scott G. Bruce   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know that there was some discussion a while ago on the Forum about a 6x400 full-length release of the original King Kong. My question is, what is missing from the more common 4x400 release? Just the Manhattan and sailing sequences? And does the 4x400 release typically include the censored Kong-chews-people-or-drops-them-from-great-heights scenes?

SGB

--------------------
"Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!"

|  IP: Logged

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted January 13, 2006 08:33 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the 6 x 400 and I remember reading that the scenes that are not included in the 4x400 version are scenes of the natives getting killed right before Kong gets gassed before leaving the island, the scene of Kong playing with Fay Wray and smelling his fingers, and of course the scenes with Kong picking people up and throwing them down. But I dont have the 4x400 version so I cannot do a direct comparison.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted January 13, 2006 10:11 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To quote the scholarly Trevor Adams from a recent posting:

"My four reel 1930s"klassic kong" is a fine example of editorial"cut to the chase"thinking.From the title you go straight into a distressed sacrificed Fay, tied up,ready to meet Kong.After that,it is all action of course!"

Hopefully Trev will follow up with a few more details.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Del Phillipson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 15, 2006 01:09 PM      Profile for Del Phillipson   Email Del Phillipson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to own it, it was one of the first super 8 films I ever bought, it does indeed start from the point where Fay Wray is tied to the sacrificial pillows, but then shows everything the full feature does and no it doesn't have the extended scenes in as my memory serves me right. I take it Mountain films didn't have an editor working for them at the time. [Smile]

Scott G. Bruce
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 15, 2006 04:24 PM      Profile for Scott G. Bruce   Email Scott G. Bruce   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for your learned responses. There is a copy of the 4x400 currently up on ebay and I have been thinking about buying it. The seller assures me that it is the full 1933 feature including the censored scenes, but I'll take your word over his. The problem is the shipping cost from the UK, which will run it up to $200. I'm not sure that I'm prepared to pay so much for anything less than the entire film (I'm one of those weirdos who actually likes the pre-Skull Island portions of the film -- must be a Fay Wray thing!).

SGB

--------------------

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted January 15, 2006 06:25 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott,
I saw that particular Ebay item. Don't be too rush this title come very often and mostly come with original box. This is RKO release, isn't it?

Just out of topic, the seller put the starting price and buy it now at the same value. It will look funny ff someone willing to bid at that starting price,while he can buy it now at the same time.

What is the seller's reason behind this, why he is not just placing the buy it now button?

cheers

--------------------
Winbert

Scott G. Bruce
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 15, 2006 07:59 PM      Profile for Scott G. Bruce   Email Scott G. Bruce   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good question, Winbert, and good advice.

The seller posted the film last week with a very high starting bid and only a slightly higher Buy It Now price, but there were no bids. He relisted it today and I too was struck that the starting bid and Buy It Now were identical. Perhaps he made a mistake . . .

The seller just added some new information and claims that the film is full length with the deleted scenes. Although it comes on 4 400' reels, he says that the film length is actually 550/550/400/300. Does this sound credible? Can you really fit 550' of film on a 400' reel? Would it really be divided up that way? All four reels only add up to 1800'. Is that really enough for the full feature?

Does anyone out there have a spare copy of the full length feature to sell to me so that I can stop puzzling over this?

SGB

--------------------

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted January 16, 2006 02:13 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is no way one can fit 550ft of film on a 400ft reel... not even polyester-base film. And with the total being 1800ft, that still breaks down to 4x400ft reels plus one 200ft reel. Also, IMDB lists the full feature at a runtime of 100 minutes, or 104 minutes with the censored scenes included. Whereas 1800ft of film comes out to just barely 90 minutes, and that's even assuming it really is 1800ft of film and not just 1600.

No need to keep puzzling over this - the seller is simply full of it [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Scott G. Bruce
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 16, 2006 07:51 AM      Profile for Scott G. Bruce   Email Scott G. Bruce   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Jan Bister, the voice of reason."

Thanks, Jan!

SGB

--------------------

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted January 16, 2006 11:57 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted January 17, 2006 10:04 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Scott I thought I saw one advertised on 4x400 that looked as if it was actually 600 feet cans etc.
Do be careful as there are some naff prints about and $200 notes is a lot if its rough.
Is the chap a fim collector, whats the link, but I`ll nip and see if its there.Do ask about print quality, faces etc.
Best Mark.

Scott G. Bruce
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 18, 2006 12:48 AM      Profile for Scott G. Bruce   Email Scott G. Bruce   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It sold! Someone used the Buy It Now option to pick it up. Hope that he's not too disappointed. Thanks again for all of your input.

SGB

--------------------

Del Phillipson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 18, 2006 01:24 PM      Profile for Del Phillipson   Email Del Phillipson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I must have had half a dozen prints of the feature over the years and don't think I've had a good one yet [Frown]

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 18, 2006 03:32 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Del,

Through your experience with Kong prints, did you ever own the Mountain version which is on 6 X 400' reels? If so, how was the quality on those releases?

Michael

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Trevor Adams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 18, 2006 04:07 PM      Profile for Trevor Adams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scotty,I can sell it to you for $US90(includes postage and I take Paypal).It is on 2x800ft reels.:-)Trev
PS I'm not a Kong fan-but the second version was nice and campy and good for a laugh I suppose.......... [Wink]

--------------------
Trevor

Scott G. Bruce
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 18, 2006 08:52 PM      Profile for Scott G. Bruce   Email Scott G. Bruce   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Trevor,

I am VERY interested!! Would you mind sending me the details in an email (contents, condition, etc.). Paypal is very convenient for me.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

SGB

PS: Scotty??? Have you been talking to my mom?

--------------------

Trevor Adams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 18, 2006 10:59 PM      Profile for Trevor Adams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The first 800ft opens with Fay tied between the sacrificial pillars with chief Mustafap shouting incantations.It ends with Kong and Fay at his clifftop hideout.Now,the rest of the flick must fit into the remaining 800ft [Smile] Reel 2 opens with Kong admiring and tickling the scantily clad Wray.Nope,he doesn't give her the sniff test!One thing I notice is,when Kong growls at mankind his teeth are ugly pegs but when he smiles at Fay he is positively a Pepsodent commercial!What a hokey flick! [Wink] I found the original boxes Scott.regards,Trev

--------------------
Trevor

Scott G. Bruce
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 19, 2006 12:31 AM      Profile for Scott G. Bruce   Email Scott G. Bruce   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sound great so far, Trev. Could you give me an indication of the condition? I'm looking for a copy with very minimal wear as well as above average sound and contrast.

Thanks again.

SGB

--------------------

Trevor Adams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 19, 2006 04:09 PM      Profile for Trevor Adams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is old celluloid and has fade in outdoor scenes. It isn't marred by lines.Mountain Film sound is only average.Dialogue that counts is clear but there is a lot of "horrific" noise in this flick.

--------------------
Trevor

Trevor Adams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 21, 2006 12:49 PM      Profile for Trevor Adams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sold!

--------------------
Trevor

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 22, 2006 01:41 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am not sure if I asked this concisely last time, but how is the picture quality on the Mountain 6 x 400' release of Kong? [Confused]

Michael

--------------------
hobby that we love!

Norman Fisher
Junior

- posted January 28, 2006 02:13 PM      Profile for Norman Fisher   Email Norman Fisher       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently purchased the Mountain 4 x 400 version from Ebay. Even though the censor cuts are there for the most part, they are still cut. For instance the scenes where Kong attackes the village is in there, but the part where he puts the villager in his mouth and starts chewing has been removed. Same for the scene in which he stomps on one of them too. The other parts seem to be all there. Why Mountain chose to cut these out is a mystery, they were obviously there in the print they used to make the super 8 release. It's not a bad print, but does contain a lot of fuzzyness. Hard to get a good clear focus, especially in the jungle scenes. The beginning of the film shows the original British release title card.

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 28, 2006 02:50 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Norman,

Thanks for the heads up on the Mountain release of Kong.

Michael

--------------------
hobby that we love!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC