8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » 35MM VS DIGITAL SLR PHOTOGRAPHY (LENSES)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 35MM VS DIGITAL SLR PHOTOGRAPHY (LENSES)
Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 14, 2006 10:27 AM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Off subject not about movie film:

For those interested in using older analog lenses on newer digital SLR bodies:

1. Sensors inside digital bodies often produce a 1.5 (one - point - five) multiplication of the standard analog lenses.

2. This means a 35 - 105 analog lens (from a film SLR body)becomes a 52.5 - 150 medium telephoto lens when placed on a digital body.

3. Rather than purchase a digital lens at the 35 - 105 range that can be as much as $200.00 or more (camera brand vs after market).....

4. Simply do the math and divide instead of multiply by 1.5.

5. Simply purchase for far less money, a 24 to 70mm analog lens that will fit a digital body, THEN add the 1.5 factor, and the lens is now within 35-105 range.

Notes: 35-105 range is used for explaining this idea in this letter. Use any range you want of focal length, but be prepared to do the math.

Also, as with the Nikon a/i analog lenses on the Digital bodies (D50, 70, etc) your metering might not work through the camera, and some modes will shut down, so be ready to use manual mode, and a separate hand held exposure meter, and/or guides on a attached flash (@ ISO 200 and up to 18 feet, your lens would be set at F8 using 250th of a sec).

And as an added bonus, consider a dedicated flash meter if planning on a hand held meter of any kind, as these are easy to use and can give 98% accuracy on readings and saves the time of bracketing your shots.

CG

|  IP: Logged

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted January 14, 2006 02:48 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You seem quite set on that 1.5 factor... the way I understand is that while, in general, digital image sensors have a smaller area than a 35mm frame, that area varies from digital camera to digital camera...

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 14, 2006 09:04 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes you are correct. I was writing in reference to the Nikon D50 that is based priced at $650.00 with a 28-80 zoom digital lens (Ritzcamera). The Nikon D200 has a super sensor and I have been told that all standard analog lenses will be true focal length, however this camera is the big one $5,000.00.

CG

ps....I got the D50 :-)

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted January 15, 2006 01:06 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use a 35mm Rangefinder..Konica Hexar AF while I wait to afford a Leica M7. I love film! (But I do use a Nikon Coolpix for my Ebay auctions).

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC