8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Peckham's Progress

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Peckham's Progress
Trevor Adams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 02, 2006 04:43 AM      Profile for Trevor Adams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just a note to say the peripatetic Mr Peckham and Dean called on us today.Come Saturday they head for Chile and Easter Island! Well both seemed to be in good health and spirit and chokker with tales of strange lands-and the grand tour is only half over! Mike has shot 10 reels of Kodachrome which is unobtainable here.Pity,he could come across some unique filming opportunities in the Andes!
Evidently they got a bit heady on fermented mare's milk whilst in Mongolia......what a life eh? [Smile]

--------------------
Trevor

|  IP: Logged

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 02, 2006 02:28 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's really great to hear. I always wondered about the mare's milk......must have been what I had last night.....is it good for cleaning film?

--------------------
Tony

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted February 02, 2006 03:23 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe Mike could edit the compiled footage, transfer it to a dvd and sell copies to the forum members. Just think, goat's milk in kodachrome color. It doesn't get any better than that! [Cool]

P.S. Mike, have it striped and add narration.

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 02, 2006 07:05 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Everyone

Trevor, it was great to meet you, your wife and Daniel, it was also especially good to get a film fix after so many months away from my own collection, just seeing those boxes was enough for me [Wink] ! Many thanks for your kind hospitality and good luck for Sunday.

The Mares Mllk certainly was an experience that will live with us for ever. You have to admire the Mongolians for their ability to make so many products from a single comodity; even Mares Milk Gin which to my European Palatte was utterly disgusting but I'm sure it is exquisite if you happen to be a Nomad.

The Ger tent we stayed in in the Gobe was very different from anywhere I have ever stayed before, being a seasoned camper the basic conditions were little problem, but the rotting carcasses and industrial sized barrels of slowly fermenting Mares Milk lent the tent a truely unique ambience, the flies were something else!

Our hosts though were magnificent in their generosity and their desire to involve us in their domestic routines. The landscape and scenery in the Gobe is like nothing else on earth and the night skies, with zero light polution make you feel very humble, it is easy to feel as though you have been transported back a thousand years!

That all seems a long time ago now as we have since moved on through China, Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand, Australia and now New Zealand. Tomorrow we fly to Santiago where we will spend a few days before heading out to Easter Island for a week.

Sadly I am now out of Kodachrome, I brought 10 reels with me bought three more in Oz and arranged to have a further ten shipped out to me from home to an address in New Zealand, unfortunately what arrived wasn't Kodachrome but something completely different which I have since had to have shipped back [a subject for another post].

It's great to be able to keep an eye on the forum and I often want to contribute, especially when the subject of Sankyos or MGM digests comes up, but internet access can be pricey and letters home I'm afraid must take president.

Mike

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted February 03, 2006 01:15 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,

I got informed by Trevor that you were heading him. I had a feeling that you need more K40s. That's why I offered mine (4 rolls) through Trevor. But unfortunatelly, you are now heading Santiago, which of course would not be possible to wait K40s to arrive from Fiji.

Anyway have a good trip.

winbert

--------------------
Winbert

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 03, 2006 11:12 AM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike

If you are heading out somewhere and if you can tell me exactly what I need to get, how many you need and where to send i will be delighted to help

--------------------
Tony

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 03, 2006 05:54 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert,

Many thanks for the offer; Trevor did mention that you had some K40 available but it would have been a bit tricky getting it sent to NZ in time, I might have left before it arrived!

Tony, thanks for your offer too. I bought 20 reels of K40 before I left the UK and left half of it with my parents to send out to me in NZ, unfortunately when I got to open the package I found that what they had sent was the missing copy of M&C [see the Missing M&C thread]! [Confused]

So, lurking at my parents house somewhere is a Jessops bag with 10 reels of K40 in it, but I have written it off now as I daren't ask them again for fear of what they might send me next time!! [Big Grin]

That said, even if it were possible to find it I'm not sure where I could get it sent to as we shall be wondering across South and Central America for the next three months with no clear idea of where we shall be. Thanks though [Smile] .

Mike

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC