8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » What Are You Favorite Soundtracks?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What Are You Favorite Soundtracks?
Dan Lail
Film God

- posted February 03, 2006 07:52 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if this has been posted before, but I love movie soundtracks. Yes it's true:-) I have several on LPs. Even if you've never seen the movie they're still interesting to listen to and the artwork on the album jackets can be fantstic. One of my favorites is Vertigo and the artwork is super. I have a near mint condition 78rpm three disc album of Duel In The Sun. Love to play it! One particular movie I've not seen and have the LP soundtrack to is House Boat. Great soundtrack! Anything by Elmer Bernstien is brilliant. What's your favorite. [Confused]

|  IP: Logged

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 03, 2006 08:16 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I still have many sound tracks on LP too. A few of my favorites are "Rollerball" (all classic music), "The Shining" (very eerie), and "Mad Max 2- The Road Warrior" (great score).

Nick.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted February 03, 2006 08:45 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember blasting the "Close Encounters" soundtrack (especially that opening crescendo) when it first came out. "A Clockwork Orange" was great with Walter Carlos' electronic versions of classical music. One of my all time favorites is David Shire's score for "The Hindenburg". I stole...er...borrowed quite a few of his themes for my school film projects.
Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted February 03, 2006 08:50 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Dan on this one, Vertigo is my all time favourite sound track- that Bernard Hermann score is superb. Close runners up 'Cinema Paradiso' and anything sung by Alice Faye.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted February 03, 2006 10:00 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whoops, I almost forgot Anatomy Of A Murder with the music of Duke Ellington.

Paul, I watched the restored Vertigo on LD. It just gets better over the years. [Wink]

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted February 03, 2006 10:57 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I was younger my brother "forced" me to listen to soundtracks. I would go and check out ELO,Beatles, etc. My brother would go to the soundtracks and walk up with LP's of Star Wars, Rocky, Close Encounters, Raiders of the Lost Ark. I use to HATE it!
But now.. I have my favorites!
My favorite composers are Hans Zimmer, John Williams, Ennio Moriccone, Lalo Schifrin, Alan Silvestri and one of my all time favorite composers is John Barry.
These are on my Ipod:
Superman, Star Wars, Best of John Barry, Schindlers List, Once Upon a Time in the West, Once upon a Time in America, Cinema Paradiso, Game of Death, Enter the Dragon, Gladiator, Forrest Gump, James Bond's greatest hits, Rocky Trilogy, Prince of Egypt, And lots more! [Smile]

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted February 04, 2006 01:54 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ennio Moriccone, ah yes, one the most original for sure! I have most of the Spaghetti scores, Once Upon A Time In The West being the most haunting. I have The Burglars in 16mm scope low-fade with Ennio's score. In one scene Jean-Paul Belmondo is casually whistling the theme. Pretty cool stuff.

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 04, 2006 02:36 PM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
hello there,i to have fav. soundtracks.the one i like the most is jaws followed by the final conflict by jerry goldsmith(i never heard a bad score from that man) and john barrys raise the titanic.in fact i just like movie soundtracks more than any other type of music.

Trevor Adams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 04, 2006 02:48 PM      Profile for Trevor Adams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Third Man is a hands down winner for me.Love the way Anton can jangle the nerves with his zither!
Second would be the soothing "in flight" 2001,A Space Odessey musak. [Smile]

--------------------
Trevor

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted February 05, 2006 02:20 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
most Ennio Morriconie, (that spoelling dont look rite [Big Grin] ),sountracks are classics for me, Once upon a time in the west being one of the very best.

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted February 09, 2006 09:37 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Trev, I have The Third Man LP form 1950 or 1949. It's a 10 inch long play from the movie. Very unique. I wonder if Welles chose that music? I also have the film on 16mm. Very moody experimental stuff from that period.

Tom, I hope I didn't spell anything obscene in Italian by mispelling Moriconne's name. [Eek!]

Chris Smith
Film Handler

- posted February 09, 2006 10:57 PM      Profile for Chris Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What a great topic. Two scores immediately to mind--both of which I have on vinyl and enjoyed for years...THE GREAT ESCAPE by Elmer Bernstein and TAXI DRIVER by Bernard Herrmann. I'll add Dimitri Tiomkin and RED RIVER as well.

Chris Smith
Film Handler

- posted February 09, 2006 10:58 PM      Profile for Chris Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What a great topic. Two scores immediately to mind--both of which I have on vinyl and enjoyed for years...THE GREAT ESCAPE by Elmer Bernstein and TAXI DRIVER by Bernard Herrmann. I'll add Dimitri Tiomkin and RED RIVER as well.

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 09, 2006 11:52 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What a great topic!
After reading all of the posts, I imagined myself watching all of those films with the wonderful scores. I love The Sting, Rocky, The Godfather, and Godfather Trilogy. Copolla's Napoleon. Oh, please don't forget the score to Patton, Psycho, Lost Horizon, Alexanders Ragtime Band, That's Entertainment. All of the music from the Arthur Freed MGM Unit. RKO Berlin tunes to the Astaire and Rogers numbers-
Top Hat and Swingtime. Danny Elfman- Pee Wee's Big Adventure.

Score to King Kong, Yankee Doodle Dandy, Angels with Dirty Faces.
Warner Bros. Orchestra for all of those great Cartoons.
The music of LeRoy Shields and Marvin Hatley to all of those wonderful Hal Roach shorts and Features.- Our Gang, Laurel & Hardy.
Victor Herbert's Babes in Toyland.

The Our Gang & Laurel & Hardy double CD's, hopefully are still available.
Listening to Smile When the Raindrops Fall, Bells, Little Dancing Girl, Bassooning, Honolulu Baby are GREAT,GREAT,GREAT,!

Check out this link Chelsea Rialto Studios
Ray puts together teriffic sounding original scores. Many have the missing cues from the films.

I purchased Lost Horizon and Alexander's Ragtime Band.

It is wonderful.

Michael

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC