8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » The Death of 8mm Film Forums (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: The Death of 8mm Film Forums
Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted December 24, 2014 01:40 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Good question Joe, 4200 members but probably less than 200 regulars sadly.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted December 24, 2014 02:51 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't knock it,

At least the lurkers are interested.

Some of 'em will find inspirations and come out of the shadows, and if they can't hang out and read for a while they may just move on.

I've seen forums where you could only read posts after you joined. I've always thought the barrier to entry discouraged people.

The only thing I would do is set things up so IP addresses associated with a banned account couldn't even lurk. I saw a case once where a member of a discussion forum went a little psychotic and after he was banned he made it obvious off-forum he was still looking every day. (It was a little creepy!)

-at least if they have to leave their Mom's basement to find a computer capable of stalking you, it will encourage them to troll somebody else instead!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted December 24, 2014 03:08 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Good point Steve. Probably many just like to leisurely look over the forum, having an interest but without the need or desire to actually post anything.

--------------------

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted December 24, 2014 03:13 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was a member here a couple of weeks before I posted. I had the link off in a side folder and I'd look at it once in a while.

These days it's a link on my Iphone: it's almost intravenous now!

It's something you find a lot these days: there is a small core of very active people that you keep encountering wherever, however and whenever there is a gathering.

When I meet somebody "new" at CineSea, I learned a long time ago to stop being sure I didn't already know them.

--------------------

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted December 24, 2014 03:24 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you'll have gathered it's the same here! Love the hobby, love the posts on here and just love gaining new snippets of knowledge every day on the bits I care about.

Some superb knowledgeable skilled people on here and look with real interest at the posts from the likes of yourself and Mr Adsett to name but two.

Keep em comin' throughout 15 Steve!

BTW cannot believe the knowledge base that Janice has acquired in such a short space of time! Truly amazing!!

--------------------

Kevin Hassall
Master Film Handler

- posted December 24, 2014 04:40 PM      Profile for Kevin Hassall   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This forum has worked wonders for me cant thank you guys enough

Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 24, 2014 05:36 PM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I may not post very often but I do keep up with the forum. I prefer a smaller forum like this, it makes for a better community of people.

David Guest
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 24, 2014 05:44 PM      Profile for David Guest     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
you might get a few more members if it was not complicated to join ,I have had at least 10 asking me how to film in the form

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted December 24, 2014 07:49 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think filling the form is that complicated than most of other forums.

Joe, people are coming in and go for various reasons. Most of reasons are:

1. They get tired of internetting (not only for 8mm forum)
2. They have reached their needs in 8mm collecting but still in the hobby
3. They are on a long leave due to other commitments
4. They just simply no longer on this hobby (has donated/sold) or has moved to larger format.
5. They have passed away... [Frown]

But at least a couple of 2003ers are still here, that include you and I... [Wink]

ps: the most amazing is that there are several 2003ers members with only few posts but still posting to date. Doug with his moderator power can probably look at the statistics.

cheers,

[ December 25, 2014, 02:28 AM: Message edited by: Winbert Hutahaean ]

--------------------
Winbert

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted December 24, 2014 08:00 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Loads of people show up for technical advice or trying to sell a collection they've inherited.

-not here for the long haul.

--------------------

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted December 26, 2014 01:19 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Win - True, been here from the start - So how is Bruno doing?

Michel Boulet
Film Handler

- posted December 26, 2014 02:57 PM      Profile for Michel Boulet   Email Michel Boulet   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
out!

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted December 26, 2014 03:59 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is intersting to note that some member do read the messages but don't post on the forum. I had that confirmed by private messages I got and people I met last time I went to a convention in the UK. Also not everybody report the projections made. I do it (almost every time) to keep that sections running as I think it is interesting (or just fun) to know what other people all around the world screen but I can understand some members of the forum don't want to share that. Anyway, this forum is wonderful. You learn many things and meet fantastic people !

--------------------
Dominique

Mark Silvester
Master Film Handler

- posted December 27, 2014 04:49 AM      Profile for Mark Silvester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As the main person at the start of this forum...talk about turning back time..Lol I am the person who ran "SilvoScreen"..I do have to say it was written very much with "entertainment" and memories in mind and definitely with a "kick" of controversiality...that was my way (newspaper writing background) - and nothing wrong with that, either. I collected 8mm from 1973...and from early 2000 had nearly every 16mm print you could imagine through my hands - collecting wise...from titles like All the "back to futures"; the Godfather collection...Raiders..Godfather movies and the Bond movies...Bruce Lee's...all in LLp/IB tech - no faded stuff I just ditched them..for penny's...I had nearly every hammer film - ever, through my hands - I am sure Adrian Winchester bought a couple off me...Steven Siegal certainly bought a great print of Rosemarys Baby... Thing was it was a hobby for me and reason I got out ...was as it cost me more pursuing it...I nearly went bankrupt...through pursuing a hobby - never made a bean. In it casued I loved the big screen. I will tell you that apart from Phil at Classic, Paul FosterandBarry Atwood..there are very..very few you can trust out there since my good friend Derek Simmonds has gone (simply the best!). ( I could tell you a few tales...of people dealing right now!..But I won't....hmm.. well you know me..lol)

I have and remained a friend of Kev's and one or two others..I do applaud Brad on his perseverance with this forum - and it is great to see it's continued technical development.But I also applaud Kevin and Dan Lail who all have moved and developed things further as well. So I do not regret my "SilvoScreen" forum...it had it's place (570 members at the time). and a lot of people posting with a whole variety of subjects - Paul Adsett and others enjoyed it. they told me personally.All the best for 2015! [Smile]

P.S. I just do a little dabbling in 8mm now...you just cannot get it out of your blood when it goes back to age 12 ...and 1973! [Smile]

--------------------
Mark Silvester

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted December 27, 2014 11:17 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Hopefully Mark, someone with your background will continue to offer your advice and knowledge of your experiences in the hobby for many more years to come! [Wink]

I started my journey with Super 8 at a similar time and at an even younger age and you are absolutely correct, it becomes totally infectious!

No matter what comes along in the future,and having sold out of the hobby once in the 90's, I know now that Super 8 will always have a place in my world.

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted December 27, 2014 12:53 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let's face it, most of the big numbers are people who are just wanting to "move" they're collections (or collections they have inherited from the "departed"), asap ...

... but I won't knock them, as I have bought quite a few prints from "one timer" who listed them on here, and never listed them elsewhere. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted December 27, 2014 01:27 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The only thing I would do is set things up so IP addresses associated with a banned account couldn't even lurk. I saw a case once where a member of a discussion forum went a little psychotic and after he was banned he made it obvious off-forum he was still looking every day. (It was a little creepy!)
Unfortunately that hasn't really been an effective tactic in many years.

*Most home internet lines have their IP change randomly (every few days or a week), so that doesn't work.

*Most people also have internet at their work. So if they got blocked from home they could still view at work.

*Lots of people are too ignorant to lock down their wi-fi that is (at least in the US) almost always "open" and built into their internet router, so someone with a blocked IP can often just log into their neighbor's wi-fi.

*Most people have a smartphone or tablet with cellular connected to it. That IP changes non-stop. Again, just no way to block the connection.

I've never understood forums that require people to register and login just to see IF there is anything of interest. It's no surprise that more often than not, after going through the registration pain it turns out there are 8 posts from the last year at those forums.

The internet is supposed to help facilitate the spread of information. Everyone should always be able to read, regardless of whether they can or do post. Sure the lurker count is ridiculous compared to the active participant count, but what's wrong with that? Nothing in my book. They don't have to speak in order for them to enjoy the hobby like the rest of us.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted December 27, 2014 01:34 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
This format on this forum does it in the best possible way, hence the numbers of members and posts compared to the rest.

Well done Brad, I am sure, from us all!

--------------------

Bruce C. Sdunek
Junior

- posted January 10, 2015 09:29 AM      Profile for Bruce C. Sdunek   Author's Homepage   Email Bruce C. Sdunek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello All. I just joined, so I hope that's good.
I use film for all my 'artsy' photography, doing all the B&W developing and printing in my darkroom.
I joined this forum as I miss movies. Like digital still photography, video is fine but something is missing. I think it's the hands-on. I used to enjoy sitting at the editor cutting and cementing my movies into a show with titles, etc.
Right now, I don't know where to buy regular 8mm film, or get it processed. I have never processed Ektachrome, but sure could learn.
I'll keep hanging around and see what I can learn.

--------------------
Bruce
http://brucecsdunekphotography.zenfolio.com/

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted January 10, 2015 09:59 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
This is more a forum for collectors of films as opposed to shooters of camera stock film Bruce.
That said loads of people on here still use camera stock from what I see and will therefore still be well advised.

For specifically discussing the shooting of film, there are other and probably better options out there as far as forums are concerned.

--------------------

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted January 10, 2015 12:04 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I Shoot, Andrew, in 9.5, double 8 and super 8

--------------------
Dominique

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted January 10, 2015 12:16 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Good for you Dominique! If sound cartridges were still available, so would I occasionally

--------------------

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted January 10, 2015 12:29 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I miss them, too.

--------------------
Dominique

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted January 10, 2015 12:36 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are shooting film for projection, this is the place!

I actually saw one of the film shootin' guys advise "never EVER run film through a projector. It will get scratched!"

The main reason this Forum exists at all is so the bunch of us that dare do this for fun can have a place to be where we will not be looked down on by self styled artistes.

-the kind that actually rejoiced when Kodachrome ended because they thought it would clear us out!

I'm a glorified home movie maker and damn well proud of it too. As I see it, Steven Spielberg and Ken Burns are both busy, Hitchcock and Fellini are dead. If I don't make films about my kid growing up, nobody will!

I also refuse to be a "serious film collector". I do this so I have refuge from all the other serious things I have to do (...and they are legion.). The day I need to start taking this seriously I shall return to model trains and not take that seriously again!

Lately I've come to realize the value that this Forum has as a library of information about small gauge film. Have a question or a problem? Search it out: there's a decent chance there's something here to help you. If the bunch of us had gotten together and written a book these past dozen years, we probably could not have produced a more valuable resource.

--------------------

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted January 10, 2015 02:24 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Good points Steve, from my point of view if shooting film was my main interest in Super 8mm, I have seen more specialized forums for catering for that aspect.

As I said, that's not to say there are no expert film makers on here because as we all know, there are plenty, serious ones or otherwise.

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC