8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » The Beatles on Super 8

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Beatles on Super 8
Robert Tucker
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 10, 2006 08:00 PM      Profile for Robert Tucker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello everyone,

Thought I’d start a new topic does anyone know how much stuff of the Beatles was issued on Super 8? and also what was the best quality i.e. Niles or Red fox? which I think were the main companies that had the rights at the time?

The reason for this is I have slowly put together a collection which I think is very rare. So here is the list of what I have so far. Any help in this subject would be great.

Magical Mystery Tour 1967 full feature 3x400ft Niles print
The Beatles at Shea Stadium Full concert feature 3x400ft Red Fox
Washington DC concert 1964 2x400ft German/Amsterdam distribution
Tokyo concert 1966 2x400ft re recorded in stereo Buck films
Beatles comes to Town 1963 Path newsreel Derann 200ft
Help trailer 1965 USA import
The Beatles on the Ed Sullivan Show 200ft Red Fox Enterprises

|  IP: Logged

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted March 10, 2006 09:36 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the 200ft Red Fox 'Beatles on the Ed Sullivan Show'. I had just been in the USA about 3 months when this show took place. I remember that most Americans had no idea what was coming there way, but having just come from England I knew exactly what to expect, and this 200 footer captures the frenetic atmosphere of the Beatles first TV appearance in the USA. Today, it is very nostalgic to watch this little reel, especially for the brief shots of the great Ed Sullivan. It was said of him that no one knew what he did, but he did it better than anyone else. Ed always put on " A REALLY GOOD SHEW !" [Smile]

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted March 11, 2006 09:38 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just saw a Full Length Feaure of "Hard Days Night" on Super 8 on Ebay a few months back. I bid but it went too high. $360 or more.
Hey Jude performance I have seen on Super 8, Let it Be as well.
This is a great topic! I was going to start one a while back but I never got around to it. I was thinking about this because i got from Derann a Scope Trailer of Abba the Movie. It is really great to see Music on the Big Screen. It packs more of a wallop! And though I dont have any Beatles I am sure that must look great.

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 13, 2006 06:43 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Beatles Ed Sullivan 200' reel is actually the 3rd of the first three consecutive week performances in early 1964. Great live stuff and, in my opinion as a musician and fan, the best live performance of "I Want To Hold Your Hand" by them ever recorded on film or tape was the one on this particular show. I think the quality of the NILES cutdown(400' REEL)of "Magical Mystery Tour" sucked! I never saw the whole NILES release. I have the Hollywood Film Exchange(3X400') release which is very, very good. I have seen and owned the RED FOX Tokyo Concert 7/2/1966; and it had very faded colors when new. The print I have is from ENCORE ENTERTAINMENT and still has very good color(these films were made from original videotape recordings of this Tokyo concert). [Smile]

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Robert Tucker
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 13, 2006 06:59 PM      Profile for Robert Tucker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Joe,

Thanks for that information as it helps a great deal to track down information on what was released on Super 8 and the quality of prints via print neg quality. Well Joe i will certainly take your word for it, i am in for a great treat as i just enquired a print of The Beatles on the Ed Sullivan show from Australia (my latest prized purchase), but can't wait for it to turn up at my door and play it on my GS1200 hopefully this week. I assume the quality is as good as you can get with Red Fox.

In relation to Magical Mystery Tour Niles full feature that i have it's excellent quality from beginning to end plus it's on polyester stock the colour is fantastic.

Kurt Gardner
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 14, 2006 08:41 AM      Profile for Kurt Gardner   Author's Homepage   Email Kurt Gardner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a 400' B&W Niles print called "Beatles in Concert." There are no titles at all, so I can't confirm when it was made. It may be the D.C. concert judging from the clothing and hairstyles of the audience. The quality is abominable -- it must have been transferred from ancient 2" videotape and the screaming audience drowns out the singing. Ringo sings a song while playing the drums and you can barely hear his voice except to know that he's straining really hard!

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 24, 2006 06:34 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Red Fox Films in the U.S. sold a 200 foot featurette for "The Yellow Submarine". For some reason, it was released in black and white, which, at the time, kept me from purchasing it.

In retrospect, its probably a good thing that it was in b/w, as I'm sure its held up just fine through the years.

Nick.

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 24, 2006 10:03 AM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi Nick, I have the 200 footer from Red Fox "Mod Odyssey" in color. The color is still excellent and has a booming soundtrack with some nice music and narration. I also have the semi-live performance of "Revolution", which still looks good as new. I also have two different releases of the 1964 B&W TV special "Around the Beatles". I'm not sure who released the first print, it has the original opening which shows Ringo firing a cannon, and the fan audience chanting the song "We Love You Beatles" as they enter the stage area. It contains all of The Beatles musical segments, and a few of the guests' numbers. Very good picture and sound quality on a 600' reel. The second is a 2X400' NILES version that doesn't have the original opening, but contains all of the guest music(P.J. Proby, Long John Baldry, Cilla Black, Millie, Sounds Inc., etc.) along with all the Beatles' music. The picture not as clear and bright, and the sound is not as good as the shorter version. Neither one has the "Midsummer Night" play that was also part of this special.

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted March 25, 2006 11:59 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
sold a 200 foot featurette for "The Yellow Submarine". For some reason, it was released in black and white
Shoulda been black-and-yellow. [Wink]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Jorma Julku
Junior

- posted August 06, 2017 03:53 PM      Profile for Jorma Julku   Email Jorma Julku   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's the price of Beatles super 8mm concert films? I need help with my little beatles treasures pricing. The reels are washington dc b/w sound 400ft(about15-18 minutes, Shea/Tokyo color/sound 400ft songs: twist and shout, dizzy miss lizzy, Rock'n roll music and iwanna be your man and a song I dont remember. Red foxt realeses. Beatles come to town minidoc 200ft color/sound (about 6-7 minutes) songs: twist and shout and she loves you. Of course every Beatles fan have seen those. But it's super 8mm and BEATLES. Films were bought from England mid 80's. Expected to be in good condition, will be checked soon. I have found that i don't live forever but Beatles does. I remember ordering Beatles live in Netherlands but got copy of Dave Clark Five.(200ft reel). Any help! Thank you from Finland

--------------------
Jorma Julku

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted August 06, 2017 05:50 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought this was a new post, since the first poster and the following replies were made by the usual active members which are still here now...until I read Jan Bister and realized this was discussed 11 years ago.... [Big Grin]

Where is Jan now...?

--------------------
Winbert

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 06, 2017 08:06 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The last we heard, Jan had returned to US residence, but all of his films and equipment were still in Germany.

I always enjoyed his posts.

I hope wherever he is he is happy and well.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 07, 2017 04:43 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Beatles short not mentioned here.
Bought new some twenty years ago from Derann. 100ft in colour.
"Let It Be" with Paul singing and playing piano. Yoko in the background doing some knitting (?).
Colour has now faded but the sound is still good. I use the film as a test for new Super 8 projectors.

--------------------
Maurice

Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 07, 2017 05:18 AM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We must also remember that there are a series of 3x 50' Standard 8 silent films available from Pop Movies featuring the fab four.

Jorma - If you are wanting to sell these Beatles films on this forum, the rules say that you must have a price for them. If you decided to sell them on Ebay UK, you would be able to start them at a low price ( GBP 5 ?) and watch the price increase. I have done this before now and it works every time.

--------------------
"My name is for my friends!"

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 07, 2017 03:08 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the Derann 150ft on 200ft spool, (as Derann put in catalogues) "The Beatles in Concert" which I think was said to be an extract of another release and mentioned here in another thread.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 07, 2017 03:41 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
we have in our collection,
200ft b/w sound reel from Derann which is actually an extract from,,,,,,
Around the Beatles, an 800 foot reel which was a one off TV special, the Beatles both hosting and performing with other artists including PJ Proby, cilla Black and a host of others. We put this up for sale but the sale didn't complete so we held onto it, now i am pleased i did.
The Beatles on the Ed Sullivan show,
The Beatles come to town this one we had was in scope and i recently did sell this one on as the colour was faded but it did look pretty good in scope.
We also had Mull of Kintyre, this was a pretty crappy 50ft spool which was clearly filmed off a TV set and ran at 18fps,
currently there is a host of these 50ft reels of Beatles songs on ebay, personally i would steer clear as i reckon they are filmed off the TV. [Wink]

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 08, 2017 12:23 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I keep on hoping that I might luck out on finding a low fade print of "Magical Mystery Tour", but i think that they were all printed on quick fade eastman, with very few surviving with any decent color. However, of the two known companies in the U.S. that put this out on super 8, the "Hollywood Film Exchange" prints were better, sharper, less grain than the Niles prints.

I keep hoping, however. [Smile]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC