8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Da Vinci Code (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Da Vinci Code
Trevor Adams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 25, 2006 05:14 PM      Profile for Trevor Adams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Went to see this flick yesterday.Rather gentle entertainment I thought.Doesn't do justice to Brown's edge of seat page turning book. Towards the end I was working out how much time there was to go-not a good sign!No Oscars for this turkey... [Wink]

--------------------
Trevor

|  IP: Logged

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 25, 2006 08:21 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi Trev, I didn't read the book, so I had to pay attention during the entire film. A puzzling mystery wrapped in an enigma, but I enjoyed it very much!...especially Paul Bettany's performance...ouch!!!! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted May 25, 2006 09:34 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I truly didn't like the film. It was so slow...I fell asleep during the first 15 mintues. I didnt' read the book but my friend did. She nudged me and said it gets better. Than I awoke and it did get better. I turned to ask her a question about 3/4 of the way through and she had closed her eyes! Together over coffee we filled each other in on our respective missing scenes! [Smile]
I have to say that Audrey Tatou never looked more lovely however.

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 26, 2006 04:41 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I too had never read the book, but must admit I enjoyed it, but who was the twat that made Tom Hanks wear that awful mullet wig, unless it was specified in the book that the leading character should look like a 70's reject, it truely is an awful hairstyle.

Sam James
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 26, 2006 05:23 AM      Profile for Sam James   Email Sam James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've not yet seen the film, but I have to speak for those of us who bought into the hype and thus bought the book only to find that, aside from the intriguing ideas that apparently "weren't" blatantly ripped from the results of years of research by Messrs Baigent, Leigh and Lincoln (Holy Blood & Holy Grail), the novel itself was appallingly written.
I'm no literary snob and I'll get down and dirty with the best of them, but sitting on the underground watching hoardes of commuters leafing through their copies took me back a couple of years to when the same adults were lapping up Harry Potter. It is only my opinion, but it does feel like a case of the Emporer's New Clothes. But of course, Dan Brown and J K Rowling are now extremely wealthy people and I'm not, so why should they care what I think!
I will be going to see the film because if only to watch Mckellern and the great Jean Reno out-hamming each other.
Sam

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 26, 2006 05:38 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A friendly 'Hello' to all,

Please keep in mind, that
The Da Vinci Code is fiction.

Enjoy it as a book and film,
but not as historical fact.

Michael

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted May 26, 2006 07:51 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael,

from what I understand that's precisely what's being discussed here... the movie's potential to be entertaining (or not). I think we're all in agreement already that it's a work of fiction, as is the book. [Wink]

On that note, I never saw what the big deal with the book was, and I can't say I even care enough to go see the film. [Eek!]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Trevor Adams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 26, 2006 10:05 PM      Profile for Trevor Adams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Blokes like Brown,Grisham and Clancy give us an entertaining mix of fact and fiction. It is a mix that appeals because by and large all the world loves a conspiratist-as opposed to a lover! [Smile]
Brown's style is simple,he hits with compelling staccato sentences.Like it or no,one must find out what happens on the next page!
On Tom Hanks hairstyle,I'm at a loss to explain it.Robert Langdon is supposed to be"a Harrison Ford in tweed"(so says the book)
I reckon the trio I've mentioned above are first class entertainers! Trev

--------------------
Trevor

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 30, 2006 06:41 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

I really enjoyed the film, too: great actors, great performance, nice special effects, ... .
Before going to the cinema I saw a kind of "making of" on TV that showed that all "facts" in the book (and hence in the film) are completely non-sense. This ruined the film's surprise-effects a little bit, but I'm not sure whether I would have enjoyed it without that "documentation" or not: IMHO there are too many "facts" in the film that you normally don't care about (different grail-theories, strange lines, ...). For me this would have been too much information in a short time. Hence I would have had a too hard time to follow the film's main story. So I guess that I wouldn't have enjoyed the film without this prior information.

Jörg
P.S.: No, I didn't read the book yet.

Scott G. Bruce
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 30, 2006 10:19 AM      Profile for Scott G. Bruce   Email Scott G. Bruce   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would encourage everyone, fans of the book/movie or not, to read Anthony Lane's review of the film in last week's New Yorker Magazine. He is always entertaining and this review is no exception:

Review of THE DA VINCI CODE in the New Yorker Magazine

SGB

--------------------
"Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!"

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted May 30, 2006 10:38 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott: excellent reading, thanks for the link.
I've read all of Brown's 4 books. Perfect vacation reading. But they're all the same, exact same plot, exact same characters (only the names change), exact same twists... I still don't understand what' the fuss is around Da Vinci Code.

And no one, I insist NO ONE in France could be called Bezu Fache. Where the hell did he picked that name up ? Oh, yeah, there was that obscure comedian on tv many years ago. Would you believe if a Frenchman had written a similar novel set in the US if he had used a policeman character named, say... Carrot Top?

I Won't go to see the movie as I don't like Ron Howard's work. I'm not a Tom Hanks fan either.

Oh, and I saw The Omen this morning. What a bore. It's the exact carbon copy (bar a few details) of the 76 film (same writer). Give me back Richard Donner and Jerry Goldsmith anytime... The original was such a great film.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Scott G. Bruce
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 30, 2006 12:29 PM      Profile for Scott G. Bruce   Email Scott G. Bruce   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Glad that you liked the review, Jean-Marc.

Say, could "Bezu Fache" be Quebecois?

SGB

--------------------
"Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!"

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 30, 2006 12:49 PM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"fâché" is French for "angry"

"Bezu" is the name of a French castle (http://members.aol.com/renneschateau/bezu.htm) and part of the name of some small towns, of a music-group and the last name of the adidas' top-manager in Japan ;-)

Douglas Meltzer

- posted May 30, 2006 07:47 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw "The Da Vinci Code" yesterday and thought it was fine. Not a classic, but a fun summer movie that kept me intrigued throughout. No fidgeting in my seat, no looking at my watch, no problem with Tom's hair!

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted May 30, 2006 10:12 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's a remake of The Omen?

Then again, if there is then why am I surprised [Roll Eyes]

P.S.: I absolutely loved the review of Da Vinci Code. Brilliantly written and wonderfully humorous!

--------------------

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 01, 2006 07:33 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alan Rik, I overestimated your intelligence...I rank you right up there with Roger Ebert [Razz] . To Barry Attwood, it's not a "mullet" or a wig. To Sam James, Ian M. and Jean Reno were not hamming...it's called acting, and very well done!. Michael D., how do you REALLY know what is historical fact, and what isn't????... Jean-Marc, I hate Jerry Lewis movies! [Razz] . Jan, go see it. [Smile]

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted June 01, 2006 07:45 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Watched the movie yesterday, it had a marked effect on me that no other has, it put me to zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. I started loosing it after watching Paul Bettany inflicting pain on himself, and thinking this guy desperately needs a new hobby [Confused] I did regain full conscious near the end [Eek!] and left [Smile]
Graham.

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted June 01, 2006 09:15 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Go see what? The remake of The Omen?

--------------------

Douglas Meltzer

- posted June 01, 2006 09:18 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe,

With one post I think you've destroyed all that good will you built up since June of 2003! [Big Grin]

Doug

--------------------

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 01, 2006 10:52 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe,

Your statement has value.

So to not sound scolding to you or insulted
or hurt which I am not expressing -
I ask all here not to underestimate the value
in positive thought and healing.

What I do know, is that I am neither a historian or
theologian.

I do not have any degree in Theology, or branded with
a Doctor of Divinity Degree.

I do know that their are conspiracies in the world.
I do know that people are cynical.

I know that the Catholic Faith has created chaos for
some people and utter joy for others.

I also know that the power of positive prayer has been
studied by medical science, and that it has
medicinal value. It is a phenomenon that has
experts in the medical field baffled.
Thankfully, I am living testament to this virtue.

If the film is viewed as a summer flick - well then
it's OK.

But if people are going to tear themselves apart
and injure and destroy the value of Faith - based
on the greed of authors and filmmakers alike, then
I have a conscious to speak out.

If these powerful media personalities choose to dictate to our
senses - to overwhelm people’s consciousness into
destructive imagination, then I say
keep your movie and I will be richer for it.
Because it has an effect on all of us.

Not to sound carried away, some viewers can be made
or broken in taking this too literally. This is an ‘R’ rated movie,
And if it is as powerful as the Passion of the Christ,
people should be forewarned.

But if people can retain an open mind, and
Enjoy it as a film and reserve it for constructive
Chit-chat, then it serves a good purpose.

Interestingly, this film hit the market
and people are flocking to see it on
the opening weekend.

On the other hand, Flight 93 opened
about four weeks ago, and
not one person on this forum
has expressed any interest to see it.

I just have not had the guts to go
to the theater to relive history.

Flight 93, is more relevant to
us as citizens of Freedom, than
the Da Vinci Code is to conspiracy,
and the destruction of positive
value in Faith.

What has happened to our senses?

Respectfully submitted to you and to all on the forum.

Michael

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Douglas Meltzer

- posted June 02, 2006 07:26 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael,

Thank you for that wonderful commentary. In addition to your observations, your formatting always makes your posts akin to poetry whether discussing theology or GS metal input guides!

As to "Flight 93", I can't speak for others, but as a New Yorker and as a cameraman who spent a huge amount of time at Ground Zero I have no desire to see any fictional film based on 9/11. I cringed during the trailers of "93" and also Oliver Stone's "World Trade Center".

Doug

--------------------

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted June 02, 2006 08:54 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doug I am with you one this one. I know that the film is very well made from the reports I have seen but there is something about living through an experience like that which doesn't make me want to see either of those films. It was a very hard time for NY'ers and I'm not sure many of us would want to relive it.
And Joe, funny you should bring up Roger Ebert. I find that him and I DO share a lot of the same tastes in film! :)Him and James Berardinelli are my favorite critics. Sometimes I may not like a film that they do but after reading their reviews I can see the film a little differently and maybe appreciate it more. So does this mean we may see a 400ft Digest of "Davinci Code"? [Smile]

Sam James
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 02, 2006 09:56 AM      Profile for Sam James   Email Sam James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It looks to me as though somebody's been a little bit naughty and dipped their inquisitive paws into the jar marked - "ANGRY TABLETS".

Sam

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted June 02, 2006 12:09 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Part of what bothers me about the Da Vinci Code is the feeling that either by accident or by plan it's riding a wave of hype, and even worse hype magnified by somebody being offended.

While I'm not saying this is (for certain, at least) specifically the case here, I can imagine a time when media marketers will intentionally choose to offend in order to generate this kind of buzz to sell their product. Bearing in mind that by the time you have your popcorn and large soda and take your seat you've already forked over the ticket price, you may just find in these cases that the hype is all there was. It's much cheaper than talent, creativity and quality.

Society is polarized enough without people stirring the pot just to turn a quick buck.

Speaking as a Christian, I also think that producing a fictional challenge to beliefs I've built my entire life around is kind of tacky as a form of entertainment, but don't intend to challenge anyone's right to see it, and get no more militant about protesting it than simply not going.

For Ron Howard to take on a project like this kind of surprises me at any rate! I mean, what would Aunt Bea say?

By the way, I agree on 911. While I think there is nothing wrong with doing respectful, historically accurate movies about the event, I think I'll be staying home. I remember that day like it was yesterday and can live without any reminders. I always remember about four days later I saw an airliner in the sky for the first time since, and even as somebody who has flown all over the world I felt a twinge of fear.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted June 02, 2006 01:58 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Steve.

Have you ever noticed how words like "national debate" or "controversy" always appear in the media? They just presume that's what it is (not just Da Vinci Code but many other things, all the time) and spoonfeed it to TV viewers and paper readers as "fact." It sickens me at times. [Mad]

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC