8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Hackers

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hackers
Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 23, 2006 05:02 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess this is a question for Brad; As many people will already know, the 8mm film shooting forum is currently "down" and apparently due to the actions of a hacker.

Whilst there is lots that could be said about the hacker(s), I was wondering how secure this site is, and if it were to "go down", would all the previous postings be lost, as happened once before?

This is all very worrying because the "archives" contain so much interesting information about our hobby and it would be tragic if it were lost... [Confused]

Also, is there a list of members and their contact details saved somewhere so that if the worst happened we could all be contacted if and when the site came back on line?

Mike [Frown]

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

|  IP: Logged

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted June 23, 2006 06:28 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, From a converstaion with Brad some while ago I think the site is backed up regularly just incase of this type of problem or even a hardware failure.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted June 23, 2006 11:49 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We even have a special system just to back up all of Jan's postings.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted June 23, 2006 12:38 PM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, it's called the JamJan... [Big Grin]

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted June 23, 2006 03:46 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
A server all to himself. lol [Big Grin]

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted June 23, 2006 05:52 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, pffffffttt.

[Big Grin] [Smile]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

John Cook
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 23, 2006 08:46 PM      Profile for John Cook   Author's Homepage   Email John Cook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never seen such a motly bunch! Jan are they picking on you again? [Cool]
 -

Whoever hacked Andreas site sure did the job well....that stinks...and before you ask no it wasn't me!

-

--------------------
Come visit The Pit
http://members.cox.net/home-theater

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 24, 2006 06:02 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jan, it was never my intention... [Roll Eyes]

Mike [Cool]

--------------------

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted June 24, 2006 07:05 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
The one good thing, as I have said many times before, is that the members on this forum do have a good sense of humour....mind you they need it [Big Grin]

I dont think that a forum should be deadly serious all the time and it's good to have a bit of a laugh....just hope Jan doesn't get too upset [Wink]

Kev

--------------------

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted June 24, 2006 01:39 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nahhhh, never. *secretly scheming every involved member's downfall* [Wink]

John, are those pictures of you? They're great. [Smile]

--------------------

John Cook
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 25, 2006 12:12 AM      Profile for John Cook   Author's Homepage   Email John Cook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, tis I, why would I post a picture of someone so butt ugly if it wasn't me?

-

Today I spent the afternoon watching the Indy cars at the 3/4 mile Richmond International Raceway. A lot of fun!

-

The filmshooting forum still isn't up, bummer. [Frown]

--------------------
Come visit The Pit

Knut Nordahl
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 25, 2006 05:22 AM      Profile for Knut Nordahl   Email Knut Nordahl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
the 8mm film shooting forum is currently "down" and apparently due to the actions of a hacker.

Do we know this for shure?

Andreas other site, his norwegian business site, states that they have technical difficulties, and at one time there was a disclamer on the www.filmhooting.com saying something like that he had some problems with an upgrade, and was investigating. The disclaimer is gone now.

I hope he'll be able to fix it!

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted June 25, 2006 08:35 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, that is the common belief - what happened at first was that when trying to visit the forum, a popup window would come up showing a message along the lines of "Sorry, forum has been hacked, will be back up later today" and ask for a username and password (probably a quick fix to prevent unauthorized access to the server while the forum was being repaired). A day or two later that disappeared, and now the browser will just get stuck at "Connecting to..." but never get a server reply. So something is going on but as to how much longer it's gonna take, who can say? I do hope the place is back up soon...

--------------------

Knut Nordahl
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 27, 2006 03:21 AM      Profile for Knut Nordahl   Email Knut Nordahl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That seems to be true.

Looks like the site is comming alive again now! YAY!!

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 27, 2006 03:32 AM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Guys

As Knut says, it looks as though the film shooting forumn is coming back to life again. Here is Andreas update of the problem so far;

quote:
The filmshooting site has had some major troubles since thursday June 22nd. The problems are software and hardware related. I've been working hard trying to fix all problems ever since they occured and unfortunatly it will take some more time untill we have all up and running again. I hope to have the base site up again today (June 27th.), but the database and forum will be down for a few more days I think.
Some details about what has happened: First we had a deface/hacker ruining much of the forum. I closed down the forum to upgrade it aswell as upgrading the systems on the server. These upgrades failed bigtime and the machine wouldn't restart this saturday. Since the server is located in Oslo (about 5 hours away from me) I had to wait until monday to get someone who works there to get it back up again. The problem was a failing disk. Since then upgrades have been troublesome and first now things are starting to work a little again.

Sorry for the inconvenience, but I can assure you I work very hard to get everything up and running again as soon as possible. I have now skipped work for 4 days because of this so I will have a busy week resuming normal operations and be finished with my daytime workload before summer holidays begin.

Best regards,
Andreas Wideroe Andersen
Filmshooting | Com Administrator

I'm sure we all wish him well with getting it back on line, his forum is a great resource for small format film makers, it'd be a terrible shame to see it disapear altogether.

Mike [Cool]

--------------------

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted June 27, 2006 07:34 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, how did you get this information from Andreas? I was wondering whether he would try to let the members of his forum know via other means (other forums, for example, or a chain email).

It's good to hear that he's making progress at last, though... sounds like a case of bad luck, getting hacked AND experiencing hardware failures [Frown] but I'm sure many people will appreciate the work he's putting into this (and the fact he's taking time away from his job as well). I know I do. [Smile]

--------------------

John Cook
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 27, 2006 09:59 PM      Profile for John Cook   Author's Homepage   Email John Cook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jan

Not to take anything away from Mikes post above what Mike posted is on Andreas website (it was probably up and running not more than two minutes after you last checked for signs of life [Big Grin] .) Some time over the last 12 hours he was able to at least get the main board link back up. Anything that requires access to the database is still down. I'm glad to see that he's making progress, but unfortunately he's probably loosing sleep doing it.

John

--------------------
Come visit The Pit

John Cook
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 28, 2006 06:40 PM      Profile for John Cook   Author's Homepage   Email John Cook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
filmshooting is back up!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
Come visit The Pit

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted June 28, 2006 09:25 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I noticed. Yay! [Smile]

--------------------

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted July 01, 2006 11:32 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Downtime due to hackers is a common blame that webmasters use when their sites go down, when in reality there are many reasons why it could go down or data lost. There isn't any real way to know for sure about the other site. I can assure you that this site is backed up regularly on 3 machines in different parts of the country...so it would take a heck of a coincidence to lose the site if the server crashed to an unrecoverable state. About the worst that would happen would be the site is down for a few days to a week and some of the most recent posts would be lost.

I also believe in preserving the archives, as much useful information can be found there. That is why I have never purged older posts to clear room on any forum I run. I simply add more hard drive space to the servers when the time comes.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted July 01, 2006 01:42 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,

That's great to hear, very reassuring. Thanks!

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC