8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » new ebay spoof

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: new ebay spoof
Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 27, 2006 01:38 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

I just got a "question from a potential buyer"-eMail in HTML-format. It looked exactly like eBay's eMails - except for the fact that I only do get such eMails in German and except for the fact that I don't sell anything at the moment [Wink]
Nevertheless the eMail was done very cleverly: all links where still pointing to eMail, most likely even the eBay-member "digitalis" exists. Only the "log into eBay to answer this question"-link was pointing to bulldogdsl.com or something like that - and that webpage will most likely look exactly like eBay's webpage, too.
So far all other eBay-spoofs have been eMails titled "urgent, someone has hacked your account" or something like that. So for me this is a new form of phishing that'll most likely result in a bunch of similar spoofs with "questions" and "you've bought this and that" or "ebay user xyz wants you to take a look at this item"... *sigh*

Jörg

|  IP: Logged

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 27, 2006 09:51 AM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I get this kind of mail frequently. And each time when I know that I am not selling anything in to the dumper it goes. The worst fear is that a reply from me (simply saying that there is nothing for sale by me) would be an all out pass to my pc. Eventually leading to my accounts that I have on line.

One of the things I like about my ISP is the option of webmail. Used via Netscape Navaigator. Designed to be used when traveling, I use it here at home for every email check. Allows me to screen the messages and delete before downloading to my actual box - which by this time I would be in Netscape Messenger.

I encourage everyone here that doesn't know this already to digest it. Because it's the best way of getting rid of the junk mail before doing damage to your pc.

Just remember.....if it looks to good to be true it probably isn't.

CG

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted June 27, 2006 07:29 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like the way Chip is going about this... I'm doing the same thing, although my ISP doesn't offer the option of mail access via the web browser. What I do instead is use a program called MailWasher which runs separately from whatever email software you use and lets you preview all incoming mail stored on your ISP's server - including all the headers and attachments (not as sound/pictures/etc. but as the actual code behind them). That's the best and surest way to tell real messages apart from fake ones and delete all the spam before you download the remaining messages to your computer. It's a very powerful program that lets you maintain whitelists and blacklists, can be trained to recognize future spam and even ties in with online spam databases. I've used it for years and recommend taking a look at it...

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

John Cook
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 27, 2006 10:34 PM      Profile for John Cook   Author's Homepage   Email John Cook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm using Zone Alarm Suite, although not freeware, it's probably the best money you could spend on virus, firewall, email and spyware software.

John

--------------------
Come visit The Pit
http://members.cox.net/home-theater

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC