8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Vinyl Resurgence (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Vinyl Resurgence
Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted October 06, 2006 08:44 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just read in a UK magazine that Vinyl records and record turntables are seeing something of a resurgance. In fact, the article says that Vinyl records still account for about 15% of the market, and sales of high end turntables and valve amplifiers are really taking off, while the opposite is true of CD'S and CD players which are now losing significant market sales.
Might the same thing happen to movie projectors and film equipment? Probably not. But it just goes to show that there are still a lot of people out there who have not totally bought into everything digital, and prefer the old technologies, be it sound or motion pictures.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 07, 2006 03:25 AM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
Well PAUL;The article you have been reading is more than likely true.I have a turntable myself and it leaves cd's standing.Nothing
beats the true sound of a recording on LP.It's not compessed either.That is true sound;the fact you can see the needle touching the plastic.Andy.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted October 08, 2006 03:33 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul
Regarding the drop in CD sales, I was reading that iTunes passed the one billion music download mark, it appears a lot of people are now getting there music this way.

Graham.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted October 08, 2006 04:20 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I can't remember the last time I bought a CD. The problem is no one is writing good songs anymore, you know -the one's that stick in your head and you want to sing and hum. Rap is pure unadulterated garbage-how can anyone classify it as music! Yet this is the only kind of crap that seems to be selling. What we need is another Irving Berlin, or Cole Porter- the world desperately needs some good music right now. Thank God for the old musical films!

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Douglas Meltzer

- posted October 08, 2006 05:26 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if this fondness for older technologies (in which I indeed share) also applies to those in the medical field. "Lasers?...Hah! Give me a scalpel and an incision big enough to put my head through....." [Big Grin]

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 08, 2006 07:22 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just bought a new SONY turntable this year and I still have a TECHNICS machine that still runs ok. I buy LP's on EBAY and often find things that were never released on CD. The old MURRAY HILL sets of classic radio programs and the original soundtrack to the Albert Finney "Scrooge" from 1970 of which I got a gorgeous gate-fold jacket and mint LP - I don't think the thing was ever played. I've also been lucky enough to find some old MARK 56 releases (ie: Laurel & Hardy film tracks, etc.)

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted October 08, 2006 07:38 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only CD I listen to is the Chet Baker sessions from 1954. The only reason I listen to that one is because I haven't found any Chet Baker LPs yet! I'm set up with special diamond stylus for 78s that sink deeper into the groove and pick up untouched vibes. I really love the 40's swing and R&B. I get a chuckle out of 1940's country. Classical 78s are very abundant and most often in great shape. Lps from the 1950's are cool, especially the trendy latin and percussion stuff not to mention acoustic jazz and all the outer space Lps. Beat me daddy eight to the bar and shoot the sherbet to me Herbert while I'm ridin' up that old Kentucky mountain 5,4,3,2,1! [Cool]

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted October 08, 2006 10:37 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul
I understand where you are coming from regarding the Boom,Boom, stuff the young ones like these days. Early on this year I got tired of the them sneeking into the projection room at work, and changing the CD music that plays through the cinema complex.

So, I decided to "get my own back" and bring in some of my music, Hits Of The 70s, and a John Lennons CD. Feeling quite smug with myself, and the cinemas filling up, everything was going well, until the phone rang from the downstairs supervisor.

There is something wrong with the music, he says, there is some guy telling everyone to "Play With There Ding A Ling!" it was Chuck Berrys 70s hit "My Ding A Ling" can you imagine sitting waiting for a movie to start and hearing that. [Eek!]

I quickly removed the CD much to the amusement of the downstairs staff and my embarrassment, thinking that was the end of it, wrong! ,later that day the phone again rings, there is now some guy saying the F--- word, I am told, turns out its John Lennons "Working Class Hero". [Eek!]

Remember the saying Egg On Your Face, well I felt a large omellete had landed on mine, it wasent my day. [Roll Eyes]

Graham.

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 09, 2006 03:27 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Regarding the drop in CD sales,
... what about the sales of Audio-DVDs/SACDs?

David Roberts
Master Film Handler

- posted October 09, 2006 01:24 PM      Profile for David Roberts     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i havnt posted for ages,but as my other hobby is vinyl records and valve(tube)hi-fi,couldnt resist making a contribution.
there is a vinyl revival thats been going a few years now.im told that very expensive turntables are being made and are selling well,and people are spending around £25 on a single audiophile LP.
top end phono cartridges are available that cost several thousand pounds,these are nearly all made in japan,interestinly enough.
the reason for all this,in spite of the inconvenince and the odd bit of crackle,(far less than you might think)vinyl LP sound far nicer than CD. just as film is far nicer to watch than DVD.
in its hayday,the LP record got a bad name because most peaple played them on really crap turntables,so was born the myth CD was better.
i use film and vinyl for the same reason,their superiority to the alternatives.
regards,and a big hello to kev.

david

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted October 09, 2006 02:24 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While I have cassettes of alot of music and spoken word, my LP collection and box sets by Murray Hill are STILL wonderful to own and hear; Aesthethically for the artwork and collectible sleves and jacket inserts and the quality with the pop and crackle here and there is vintage as I like it to be - Shorty

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted October 09, 2006 03:08 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Dave,
Yes I think it's most interesting that the very top end amplifiers are now the ones with electronic valves in the output stages, in fact the actual valves are proudly displayed on some of these units. Just goes to show - old is new again! [Smile]

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted October 09, 2006 09:34 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul

One of my all time favourite LP covers.

-

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted October 09, 2006 09:57 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What a great cover Graham! I think it epitomizes the golden era of the great movie musicals. Those truly were the good old days- and we will never see them again. All the great song writers have left the planet.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted October 25, 2006 12:53 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
A really interesting thread which also fills me with sentiments. I am one of those valve amp enthusiasts and just love the warm rounded sound you can only seem to get from valves. My other love is reel to reel tape. I have quite a few albums from the 70 and up to the demise of tape albums and some of these will knock your socks off with the quality they can produce. Where has that warm, deep bass gone these days?

The reel to reel is also good for using with the Elmo GS. If I want to lift a sound track (for whatever reason) I record the pulse via the cresta sync onto one track and the sound on the other. I have used cassette for this task many times but you always get some cross talk between the tracks. This doesnt happen on reel to reel due to the wider tape and gap between tracks.

Reminds me has anyone got any NAB reel adapters going spare?

DVD/SCD I havent seen any of these. Are they about?

In London where I work there are 4 shops selling only Vinyl records all within a couple of mins walk from my office. They must be doing good business as floor space is very expensive in the Soho area.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted October 25, 2006 10:01 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham's album cover of 'South Pacific' raises a question. Was this film ever released on S8? I know Derann released several R&H musicals including 'The King and I, 'Carousel', and 'The Sound of Music', but I have never seen 'South Pacific' or, for that matter, 'Oklahoma' on S8. Anyone know why?

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted October 26, 2006 12:42 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
There is a 200ft segment from each of those titles but I was told once by Derek that Derann couldnt get decent origination out of the distributors and then the deal fell through so the negs they did have had to go back....shame [Frown]

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 11, 2006 01:18 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul

In the car this afternoon I caught the end of BBC Radio 4 Weekend Womans hour (yes I know, don't go there [Roll Eyes] ), there was an item about the resurgence of interest in buying music on vinyl. It made very interesting listening, especially for us cine collectors; lots of parallels...

The item is billed like this;

quote:
This year over a million copies of new vinyl will be sold in the high street – the biggest upturn in sales since 1979. And with bands like the Arctic Monkeys and Razorlight leading the revival - could the seven inch single become cool again?
Jenni is joined in the studio by two vinyl addicts, Esther O'Callaghan and Mike Adams who’ll be explaining its lasting appeal.

And it can be heard again here (but only for the next few days);

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/womanshour/03/2006_45_thu.shtml

Mike

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted November 11, 2006 02:37 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mike,
Thank's for the link, I listened to the program, and as you say, the parallell with cine( "tactile feel of records and record players"), is very apparent. One reason why DVD will never replace cine for people like us, despite what some people in the DVD camp would have think.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 01, 2006 01:37 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul

There was another interesting article on Radio 4 today about the vinyl resurgence this time on the "You and Yours" programme.

It concentrated more on the collecting market and there were several good interviews with collectors.

Again lots of similarities with us cine collectors!

If you want to, you can still hear it for the next couple of days on the Listen Again page here; http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/youandyours/listenagain/friday.shtml
Mike [Cool]

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted December 01, 2006 03:27 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank's Mike- a great listen. This whole conversation could just have well been about the fascination of super 8 film collecting. Maybe someone in the UK should contact this BBC program and see if they have any interest in talking to some of us film collectors about why we prefer running films to DVD'S.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 01, 2006 09:18 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A very good discussion....

I still have my 500 or so LPs and my Luxman turntable I bought in 1977, and they still sound marvelous.

As someone who is a home musician as well, I have seen innumerable threads from studio engineers bemoaning the lack of both creative and technical quality on today's CDs. The lack of talent plus the obsession with CD loudness for radio is killing the very notion of Hi-Fi.
That, plus the exorbitant pricing, is what is driving nails in the coffin for the 'conventional' music companies and dealers, and speeding the download business. The latter, however, won't improve the music.

As far as what formats are 'dead' and which aren't. I increasingly view such statements as some variant of "The Emperor's New Clothes": if enough people hear enough people say something is outdated, they will take it on good faith, as opposed to fact. But when you look 'under the radar' you see a different truth.
How else to explain companies spending money on mastering and pressing gear in the year 2006 to sell old-fashioned 'records' if not for demand in some form, and for a reason? In the grand scheme of things, most folks out there still don't even know this is done.
Another case in point: reel-to-reel, as Kevin mentioned. I use a Studer reel-to-reel 2-track. I also have a 24-track digital 'box' which will do every trick in the book, but the tape blows it away for pure fidelity every time. Outdated? To most people, yes. Not to the companies who are now producing brand-new reel-to-reel tape again....and so it goes.

I wonder if any of this is some sort of unconsicous backlash against the ever-faster change in technologies, or just a few blips on the radar? The folks who have VCRs are (at least officially) now a couple of generations behind, and they probably still can't set the clock, but they might just be happy enough with their VHS tapes that they don't care to know about digital hard drive recorders.

And then of course there are those film buffs...

Claus Harding.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted December 01, 2006 10:46 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You have to wonder how much of this "obsolescence" is driven by the manufacturers to continuously sell new equipment and media. For all our claim to individualism in Western Culture, we still are sheep when it comes to technology, and are ashamed to be caught more than a generation down.

"Do you really enjoy the recording and equipment? That's OK, we'll give you a reason to be dissatisfied!"

This is the blessing of Super-8: it's so obsolete that it's become pre-historic, and most people aren't even aware of it any more, so it slips under the radar of "coolness" (Why do you think you keep hearing S8 cameras called "camcorders" and films called "tapes"?)

Example: I went into a cafe at a campground last year and sat down with my wife and son for breakfast. I laid down my Minolta XL-401 on the table while we ate. A woman noticed it and said "That's a neat camera, it's so thin!"

-I didn't have the heart (...or perhaps the guts) to tell her it was 25 years old!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 02, 2006 02:24 AM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just saw the title of the post and got all excited..... [Wink]

--------------------
Tony

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted December 02, 2006 05:52 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Tony, whats M31????
Best Mark.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC