8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Anyone Use Skye?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anyone Use Skye?
Dan Lail
Film God

- posted October 28, 2006 04:02 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone use Skye. I have it, but have not used it yet.

[ October 28, 2006, 08:49 PM: Message edited by: Dan Lail ]

|  IP: Logged

Cohen Phillips
Film Handler

- posted October 28, 2006 06:29 PM      Profile for Cohen Phillips   Author's Homepage   Email Cohen Phillips   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have it but have only used it once. :-P Not a bad little program. Free and Fun!

--------------------
[IMG]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c333/Hulk03/DCRbanner.jpg[/IMG]
http://blogtalkradio.com/DCR

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted October 28, 2006 08:50 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cohen, I'll let you know when I install it and maybe you can give me a test call. [Smile]

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 29, 2006 12:08 AM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DAN,

Did you mean Skype?

Michael

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Cohen Phillips
Film Handler

- posted October 30, 2006 12:56 AM      Profile for Cohen Phillips   Author's Homepage   Email Cohen Phillips   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like a plan Dan. [Wink] I'm pretty sure Dan meant Skype too.

--------------------

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 30, 2006 12:12 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dan

I have just found that as a Mac user I can now do Skype with video so I might try it out.

But what's the catch? Its free right? So why? Will I get Junked out or spyed on?

Does anyone know?

--------------------
Tony

Cohen Phillips
Film Handler

- posted November 03, 2006 12:30 AM      Profile for Cohen Phillips   Author's Homepage   Email Cohen Phillips   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've used it without any bugs so far Tony. [Smile] We should all find a time and call each other and talk FILM! Would be so cool to hear and share stories with you guys. [Wink]

--------------------

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted November 03, 2006 12:47 AM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Skype! Yipe! [Big Grin] In the near future I predict people will be using this alot. I think the camera thing hasn't caught on because people feel like their privacy is being invaded. I think it's pretty cool though. [Cool]

Tony, where is your picture. I saw you in a photo on BFCC pics. So, you're on the internet already. [Smile]

Tony Milman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 18, 2006 01:13 PM      Profile for Tony Milman   Author's Homepage   Email Tony Milman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dan

I am now Skyped up- ets give it a try, how do I contact you

--------------------
Tony

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted November 21, 2006 01:59 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, Tony, I missed your reply. I am looking for my Skype disk and headset. I know it's here somewhere. I'll try to get back to you today. I've never Skyped before, so I'll have to read up on on it. [Smile]

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted November 21, 2006 02:00 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, Tony, I missed your reply. I am looking for my Skype disk and headset. I know it's here somewhere. I'll try to get back to you today. I've never Skyped before, so I'll have to read up on on it. [Smile]

Sam James
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 23, 2006 05:39 PM      Profile for Sam James   Email Sam James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dan and Tony,

I've been using SKYPE for over two years and have never encountered a catch. The software was first brought to my attention by a Polish mate who said that the system had been embraced enthusiastically by his countrymen because of the high cost of telephony back home. I'm not sure whether or not it originated in Poland but for those who've yet to discover it, it's a means of communicating via the braodband connection of your computer without using the phone. The quality of sound is similar to that of an outside broadcast ISDN connection by the BBC, so that when I call my mum 250 miles away she really sounds as though she's in the same room. (She went all silly the first time she heard it!.) Chatting to a mate in Singapore, with an 8 hour time difference and no time lag is quite something.

All you need to do is find skype.com, install the software, come up with a name (as in email address) and then "dial" the name of another skype user. You obviously need a broadband connection, speakers on your computer or headphones and some form of microphone. The recent version of skype allows you to hook up your webcam so's you can see who your chatting, if that sort of thing lights your fire!

The most important thing about skype is that it's free. There really do appear to be no strings and it seems that the tradional telephony firms are very concerned. How do skype make their money? Well it's free to call somebody else's computer, and why shouldn't it be since you both have paid for that broadband connection? The costs come in when you want to dial somebody else's normal phone. Even then it's a hell of a lot cheaper then regular international rates. You simply use our credit/debit card to buy units of time in advance and away you go.

I've never had to do this as I've managed to persuade mates all over the world to download the software. It is very simple and the sound is quite amazing. Give it a go. It's simple to download and equally simple to uninstall.

Sam

Ian John
Film Handler

- posted December 01, 2006 08:44 PM      Profile for Ian John   Email Ian John   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been on Skype for a year now, and as have been said already, the sound quality is secind to none. Although I have headphones for the computer, I just use a set of external computer speakers set on low (to prevent feed-back from the mic) and just talk to whoever, and it's like being in the same room with the person you are talking too. I talked with another collector in the USA last week, and there was no sound delay at my end or his.

Yes, Skype is a free service, and that may be hard to beleive (somthing for nothing) especialy when you find out who owns it....EBAY.

Here's my Skype calling card (contact name) Ian John69

Ian. (South Wales UK)

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC