8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Samsung Blu Ray DVD (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Samsung Blu Ray DVD
Chris Quinn
Master Film Handler

- posted November 28, 2006 01:24 PM      Profile for Chris Quinn   Email Chris Quinn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A little adjustment on the focus knob required then, might as well stick to standard DVD's. [Frown] The trouble with DVD's is that they vary in quality so much, even newly released DVD's can differ, The more extras they put on the less room for the actual film data is one problem. The two disc limited addition of The Wizard of Oz (Do67536) is excellent along with The Adventures of Robin Hood (D065131) Why they don't produce more to this quality i do not know. If HD/Blu Ray is going to be the same then that will be a disappointment.

Mark, you will have to get rid of that aerial soon as the UK is all going digital.

Chris.

--------------------
The other half thinks i'm up to something. Shes right of course.

|  IP: Logged

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 29, 2006 04:01 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps I was inadvertantly knocking the modern version of high definition a little too much. Real footage transferred to the new 1080 line system such as a very impressive demonstration I saw of an underwater film is outstanding. This was a download from the web played back on a pretty good 42 inch plasma set giving a resolution that must have been about 800 lines (present DVD's yield only around 400 lines). It was sharp as tack and very, very colourful. It still looked realistic too which is something the big budget, special effects laden feature films struggle with. I am quite often dismayed by special effects on present dvd's so you clarify them further and they tend to look like the cartoons they are.

I used to think similarly to Mark with regards to dvd. I think the general public (not us film collector types) are impressed enough by dvd and accept what they're given without question. However, once they start seeing the outstanding imagery by the new HD they'll aspire to get it. It will take years though.

Wizard of Oz and Robin Hood went back to the original Technicolor separation negatives and were then alligned on a computer which is why they looked so good. Going to all that effort for modern releases is probably not worth it as people will buy it regardless. Has to be said that most of the transfers now are pretty darned good though.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted December 01, 2006 12:51 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not round here Chris, well for ages.
I was asking in currys when it will come here so he put our post code in the comp and nothing. not even an expected or hoped for time for digital radio or TV up this way.
Apparently the North east is the area with the biggest number of awkward areas, valleys, hills, blackspots, etc( why we like living here) so we will be left till last, there are apparently other awkward areas to be done before us not even started yet.
For many miles around about here you can`t even get channel 5 which is a great shame considering some of the content late at night!!!!!!!!
we have a small stone cottage so would need planning permission to get sky and it would look naff anyway so looks like we will be the last to get it. I can see them switching over and it still not being available here.
No gas either or broadband etc etc but its not that flammin rural, must be a " That lot up there, bugger em " oooeeer !!!!! )
best Mark

PS channel 5 around 11pm or 12 odd nights groan.
PPS I saw in the sony shop the other day HD TV and it looked to me as if you could almost put your hand into it but considering our finances at the mo, you can only dream anyway..

Chris Quinn
Master Film Handler

- posted December 07, 2006 10:33 PM      Profile for Chris Quinn   Email Chris Quinn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With all those viewing problems, you could try getting a projector and some super 8 films, i hear it's interference free. [Big Grin]

Chris.

--------------------
The other half thinks i'm up to something. Shes right of course.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC