8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Drive-in information from Florida wanted.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Drive-in information from Florida wanted.
David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 01, 2007 03:52 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Florida locals, Paul etc

I am interested to know if you have been to the Swap Shop drive-in theatre in Ft Lauderdale. It has 14 screens, the world's largest and on google earth they look spread all over the swap meet site with some even painted on the large walls.

What is the place like? Is it busy at night during the drive-in movies? Are the screens and fields large or small? How does it differ from regular drive-ins? Is it ramped like a regular drive-in field or just flat?

As you may know we run the Lunar 3 screen drive-in here in Melbourne and whilst I have visited the US several times, I have not seen this theatre.

I would love to know if you have seen it and what you think.

Thanks, David

|  IP: Logged

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted March 01, 2007 08:23 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi David,
Well I am embarassed to say that this is the first I have heard of this Drive-in [Embarrassed] . However, since Ft. Lauderdale is only a 3 hour drive from here, I will try to check it out on my next trip over to the beach and report back. In general, the drive-in theaters in the USA have now stabilized in numbers, after many closings, and seem to be holding their own, some are doing very well. To our British friends, who may never have seen one, there is nothing like watching a movie out in a beautiful country setting on a summers eve under the stars.

-

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 01, 2007 08:40 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The very first movie I ever saw was "You only live twice" at a drive-in way upstate in New York when I was about five. My parents were concerned that I'd be bothered by Mr. Bond's romantic escapades, but apparently the only real concern I had was why they dropped that nice car in the water with the helicopter.

(Liked cars, still do!)

Years and years later I learned that you never really apreciate how filthy your windshield is until the moment you start watching a movie through it!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted March 02, 2007 08:54 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My favourite Drive-In is the 'Port' Drive-in in Pennsylvania. Set in stunning rolling hills between Williamsport and Jersey Shore, I spent many great summer evenings there in the 60's enjoying some really great movies. There's just something really special about the drive-in experience which cannot be duplicated in an indoor theater, it's just more of a carefree atmosphere. Happily this great drive in is still in operation.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

John Cook
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 14, 2007 08:52 PM      Profile for John Cook   Author's Homepage   Email John Cook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Land barons bought out and closed our last remaining Drive-In here in the Omaha/Council Bluffs area a few months back. We drove by the site last weekend and the screen has already been torn down.

The last owners of the theater who know wished they had purchased the property outright instead of leasing the propery said they're in search of a new home and may open up a twin screen theater in the area in time for a 2008 summer season. I hope they have the will and the way to make good on those comments.

My family was saddened and disappointed at the finality of the view from our truck outside of the former Drive-In theater site last weekend.

Congrats to you for having such an awesome facility so close...

Regards, John

--------------------
Come visit The Pit
http://members.cox.net/home-theater

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 16, 2007 03:52 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"THE DRIVE IN BLUES"

This was a PBS documentary shown quite some time ago on the hsitory of the drive in movie theater. It will probably be hard to find by now, but should not be missed.

CG

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC