8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Digital projection in the cinema (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Digital projection in the cinema
Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 26, 2007 06:08 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The IMDB already lists 19 films using a 4k DI: Spider Man 2, Ocean's Twelve, Da Vinci Code, ... most of them are from 2006. And I expect to see a large increase this year.
Click onto 4k DI here to see all titles:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0382625/technical
(I can't post a direct link since urls containing brackets aren't allowed here on this board.)

Interview about DIs:
http://www.studiodaily.com/filmandvideo/technique/craft/f/finishing/5582.html

"Red one": Videocamera with 4k resolution:
http://red.com/cameras.htm

... of course the industry will tell everyone that 2k is the standard - otherwise they won't get rid of their outdated products now and won't be able to replace all 2k-projectors with 4k-projectors in 5 years ... [Wink]

Jörg

|  IP: Logged

David Park
Master Film Handler

- posted March 26, 2007 06:35 AM      Profile for David Park   Email David Park   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You will see from my earlier posts that 2K is the system being installed in UK cinemas.
The cinemas are getting funding for this standard.

--------------------
Regards,
David

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 26, 2007 09:01 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You will see from my earlier posts that 2K is the system being installed in UK cinemas.
The cinemas are getting funding for this standard.

Hi David,

I'm not trying to contradict you! I don't doubt that 2k is a standard, but it's already an outdated one: prices for hard-disk continue to drop, 4k-film-scanning is getting cheaper and cheaper, digital 4k-cameras are already in use, 4k-projectors are available (and used in several cinemas in the USA), digital projectors with 5k (and better) are already in development, ... . So -unless the film-industry is going to completely stop theatrical releases in favour of "HD-home-cinema"- the Hollywood-based film-industry will switch to 4k sooner or later. Otherwise their DCI-standards would be strictly 2k-only.

Jörg

Stuart Fyvie
Film Handler

- posted March 26, 2007 03:33 PM      Profile for Stuart Fyvie   Email Stuart Fyvie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think you can get too hung up on resolutions. 'Pirates of the caribean' was done at 2k
and looked fantastic. (and that is on 35mm) .'Davinci code' was done at 4k and it
looked crap. Murky ,dark and grainy!

Stuart

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 27, 2007 07:33 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know of only three current use genuine 4k cameras; 5/70, 8/70 and 15/70! Perhaps Technirmama, VistaVision and 3 Strip Cinerama too.

Every piece of content in the current Sony 4k projector demo doing the trade shows and seminars is from the various 70mm formats listed above.

David

David Park
Master Film Handler

- posted March 27, 2007 07:48 AM      Profile for David Park   Email David Park   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Puzzled here.
Technirama was 35mm Anamorphic
VistaVision 35mm filmed Horizontal, then reduced to 35mm vertical for projection.
3 lens Cinerama is 4 x 35mm, 3 picture, 1 sound.

--------------------
Regards,
David

Lars Pettersson
Master Film Handler

- posted March 27, 2007 08:44 AM      Profile for Lars Pettersson   Email Lars Pettersson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello everyone!

What David Kilderry writes makes sense, if I were Sony I too would use the best original material known to man. Actually swedish public service television rented a german ARRI 765 65mm camera when doing tests trying to decide which HD-television-format to eventually adopt. They too wanted optimum quality in the original material.

One very nice aspect of all this could actually be: films shot in 65mm, digital post, DI at 8K resolution and then 35mm scope prints from that! Reduction printing usually looks very good, I remember the prints of Roger Rabbit that ran in theatres here, back then, it was almost completely shot in Vistavision, and looked it!

Best Wishes
Lars

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 28, 2007 03:17 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

please don't confuse the computer-industries' problems creating a fast 4k-scanner for the 35mm-format with the capabilities of the 35mm-format: The image on the 65mm-negative is approx. twice as wide as on the 35mm-negative. Hence using the same dpi-resolution (that gives a 2k DI from the 35mm-film) for the 65mm-film will automatically give a 4k DI. But doing a 4k-scan instead of a 2k-scan from the same 35mm-film would mean to increase the scanner's resolution "a little bit".

But since some are so sure that 2k will be THE 35mm-replacement: Take a look a "the halogenuros project"-article in the "Super 8 Today" Jan/Feb 2007: There are already two Super8-cameras that have proven to natively support a 2k resultion: A "Pro8mm Classic" (remanufactured Beaulieu 4008) and a "Zeiss Ikon/Voigtländer Moviflex MS8".

Jörg

Lars Pettersson
Master Film Handler

- posted March 28, 2007 05:15 AM      Profile for Lars Pettersson   Email Lars Pettersson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello everyone!

The way I understand it, 2K corresponds roughly to 16/super-16 and 4K to 35mm. I´m not surprised to read that 2K can be squeezed out of (the best) super 8-cameras, since good super-8 can look like 16mm.

Best Wishes
Lars

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 28, 2007 05:54 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi David, regarding my comment on 4k cameras; everything listed can capture in resolution equivalent to 4k or above including Technirama, VistaVision and Cinerama.

Vistavision is 8 perf horizontal 35mm - very close to 65mm neg frame area.

Techirama is 8 perf horizontal anamorphic (1.5 squeeze) 35mm almost equivalent to 65mm neg frame area.

Cinerama is 3 strips of 6 perf vertical 35mm, a frame area that excedes 65mm neg frame area.

In the three Sony 4k digital demos that I have seen the Mystic India footag is excellent (IMAX 15/70) and even the footage from The Music Man which was shot in Technirama is brilliant.

Sony consider that the Technirama process delivers at least 4k res. or higher, otherwise they would not have used it in their world-wide roadshow release of their 4k projector.

Digital capture will catch up, but at the moment the best option for 4k digital projection is the large film formats listed for origination. I still consider actual film delivery of these large formats better than any digital.

IMAX is a brilliant format and so is good old 5/70 when done right.

David

David Michael Leugers
Master Film Handler

- posted April 15, 2007 12:01 PM      Profile for David Michael Leugers   Email David Michael Leugers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Simply put, digital cinema will be the death of cinema - for me. Why the public is so willing to settle for less is beyond me. The newest multi-plex in my area just recently went to all digital projection and business is so poor I wonder how they will stay in business. Who wants to put up with louts talking on their cell phones, talking out loud during the film, putting their feet up on the backs of the chairs etc, etc and pay the high prices to see a big TV???

--------------------
Live Free or Die

David Park
Master Film Handler

- posted April 15, 2007 12:57 PM      Profile for David Park   Email David Park   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Who wants to put up with louts talking on their cell phones, talking out loud during the film, putting their feet up on the backs of the chairs etc, etc and pay the high prices to see a big TV???

So it does not need digital projection to kill the multi-plex off.

--------------------
Regards,
David

All times are Central
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC