8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » IMAGE SIZE

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: IMAGE SIZE
David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 27, 2007 12:00 PM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't I read somewhere on the Forum very recently about increasing the size allowable for uploading images/photos to about 600 or 650 pixels? I think either Brad or Doug reckoned that the software didn't allow this, but would be looking into it for possible future mods.

My point is that even at this proposed new size, we would still have to reduce the size of our piccies, so why not go the whole hog and increase the size to 2272 pixels wide, which would match most digital camera image sizes, and then we wouldn't have to reduce at all?

Or am I being completely stupid? It's already taken me ages to work out how to reduce the photos anyway, as I'm not entirely computer literate!!!!

--------------------
Dave.

Valves and celluloid - a great combination!
Early technology rules OK!

|  IP: Logged

Douglas Meltzer

- posted March 27, 2007 01:49 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David,

I haven't spoken to Brad about this, but I believe the reason for the pixel limit simply has to do with the file size and how the much the Forum's servers can handle with reasonable speed. For example, A full size scan of a 400' film's box cover at a width of 2400 pixels comes in at 1.5mb. When scaled to a width of 550 that becomes 179.7kb.
There are quite a few uploads here, hence the 200k limit.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted March 27, 2007 05:40 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Also the servers would fill up in no time. A limit has to be set at some point and the pixel sizes given still give good quality results on a web site.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 28, 2007 04:12 AM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for the explanation, gentlemen.

Now I understand.

If you don't ask the question, you don't get the answer!

Gratefully,

--------------------
Dave.

Valves and celluloid - a great combination!
Early technology rules OK!

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted March 31, 2007 03:38 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
In an ideal world, you would be able to upload the picture and the server would resize it to fit within the forum's page formatting. Unfortunately this isn't an ideal world and none of the server-knowledgeable have had the chance to write some code to do it...yet.

As far as leaving the full resolution images on the server Kevin is right, it would fill up in no time. We already have one of the largest websites out there size-wise with all of the manuals, and now we are adding videos of old theater policy trailers and snipes. (You have to visit the main site www.film-tech.com to access those via the "videos" link.)

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted March 31, 2007 06:22 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Like the clips Brad. It will be good to see some more as they become available.
I cant believe that they actually used that "No Sex" one [Big Grin]

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

John Cook
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 31, 2007 10:22 PM      Profile for John Cook   Author's Homepage   Email John Cook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are some of the theater policy shorts available in a higher quality bit rate without the film-tech watermark?

I'd love to stream about 20 of those shorts together as a pre-screening gag-treat for family and friends.

John

--------------------
Come visit The Pit
http://members.cox.net/home-theater

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted April 01, 2007 10:12 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry John, we went through a lot of trouble getting permission, obtaining and transferring those and we already have an immature brat who stole a non-watermarked copy and has been causing lots of problems with distribution in a manner that violates our copyright agreements. Perhaps sometime down the road...a long way down the road...a DVD can be made available.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC