8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » The Shock Treatment

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Shock Treatment
Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted April 13, 2007 05:04 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its amazing the reaction when a cinema audience are given an unexpected fright, [Eek!] film makers over the years have really achieved this to great effect "Jaws" being one, during the last week I have been watching with great amusement the effect one scene in the "Mr Bean Holiday" film, where he is desperately trying to catch up to a truck on a push bike which has a chicken in it with his bus ticket stuck on its foot that he is trying to get, [Roll Eyes] well just as he gets there in a instant a large ferocious dog comes right at him, everyone without exception in the cinema jumped, [Eek!] the sound mixers have done a brilliant job its amazing the instant effect scenes like that on the human mind of course having a projectionist that likes to crank up the digital a little bit at the right moment also helps. [Wink] I remember years ago I put on a Super8 film show for a group of people it was "Great Expectations 1946" a few initally did not seem to be to that interested until the graveyard scene when Magwitch grabs young Pip and he screams, well at the right moment I quickly cranked the volume near to full, it had the desired effect everyone jumped "must be a nasty streak in me" [Smile] after the movie was finished everyone said they enjoyed it, but they had got a real fright at that scene I never let on what I had done.

Graham. [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

Alan Paterson
Film Handler

- posted April 13, 2007 05:58 PM      Profile for Alan Paterson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember showing a 16mm print of 'Carrie' back in the late 70's as a late night horror show back in Scotland. The final scene by the graveside when it's all soft focus and dream like - then the hand comes out of the grave.
I'd never heard a whole audience scream at the same time before.
Very effective.
Alan

--------------------
If God had meant us to run, we'd have been born with spikes in our feet.

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC