8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » a new gift two 35mm movies

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: a new gift two 35mm movies
Pablo Alvarez Roth
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 25, 2007 08:29 PM      Profile for Pablo Alvarez Roth   Email Pablo Alvarez Roth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A friend of mine just gave me two 35mm films, and there they sit don´t know what to do with them, I won´´t get into collecting 35mm projectors know, well at leat not yet.

One film is the CID, a spanish 2003 aniomated film from spain, disney type, and the other is a very funny mexican cop film called asesino en serio, 2002.

they are each in 5 large cans with filom spools in beatiful color they look new but no reels, I was thinking in getting a filmstrip viewer, would this work to see these films, maybe someone knows a way to make a simple homemade 35mm projector out of one of these?.

what do you guys think, don´t know what to do with them?

|  IP: Logged

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 26, 2007 02:00 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pablo,

Why not advertise them on a Spanish eBay site, they must be worth something to a Spanish speaking film collector.

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 26, 2007 02:53 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmmn, it's surprising what sometimes sells on 35mm and what sometimes doesn't.

Right now on the 35mm forum a collector is selling all three Terminator film (are you reading this Lee?!?) and you'd think they'd fly out the door. But they may just stick around never finding a new home. Similarly I've seen prints of Alien for $400 and they don't sell.

What I think I'm saying is 35mm films are generally pretty worthless unless they're something special. Anything in Technicolor generally goes for a premium for example.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted April 26, 2007 06:43 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pablo, get a projector!
Compared to super 8 and 16, 35 prints are ridiculously cheap and (most of them) are top-notch quality. Storage space becomes an issue, though... [Big Grin]
I do love 8 and 16 and will certainly continue to collect prints in these formats but I have recently slipped my fingers into a maltese cross..
I thought first I would "co-collect " with a good friend who already owns a Cinemeccanica projector... But, heck, I've been bitten and I'm expecting delivery of a projector at my home within the next few weeks. I AM DOOMED!

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted April 26, 2007 07:50 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
35mm....nice [Smile] The problem is the room required for both projector and films, especially the films.

Let us know how you get on with your new toy JM.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted April 26, 2007 09:19 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry JM, but having a 35 mm at home is too much for me.

The light would probably be too bright for 5 meters room length.

Not to mention 5 big reels for 1 feature.

Even I am thinking twice to have 16mm.

It is still 8mm of my interest due to the reasons:

- simplicity
- their cover art works
- digest/two/three parter films availability (so don't really need to sit hours for a film).
- (of course) doesn't take too much space
- do not breach any copyrights issue (I think, there is no 35 mm non-documentar film legally sold)

(yes 35mm film is probably cheap, but what about the postage to ship one feature??)

But JM , as Kevin, I also want to know when your 35 mm arrives.

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 26, 2007 10:02 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is one area of 35MM that had consistently kept up it's value and in som e cases, have ended up being worth more...

Animated shorts!

Especially MGM Tom and Jerry Shorts, Wlater Lantz (Woody Woodpecker) and the rare Disney animated shorts, which I have seen pop up. These tend to get 100.00 dollars or more per short.

The Warners shorts, (Bug's bunnys) are very popular on 35MM. I once had a copy of "All Fowled Up" (original 35MM technicolor, 1952), in HORRIBLE shape, (splicey), and I even said so, and it still sold for 60.00 dollars. But I'm holding onto my 1943
Classic era Woody Woodpecker!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted April 26, 2007 04:07 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Pablo
The quality of 35mm is stunning but the films do take up a lot of room, there are all kinds of stuff you need as well, rewinders, splicer etc, many 35mm projectors can be very noisy to be sitting close to without earplugs [Smile] ideally a projection box is best, although the smaller portable ones might be fine, the projector I have can only take 2000ft reels which is about 20min worth of film "not long" for anything longer you need at least 6000ft reels, I am working on that project at the moment, [Roll Eyes] 35mm is a lot of fun though.

Graham. [Smile]

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 27, 2007 02:51 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
35mm requires muscles like Popeye. I only have a few features so don't run it very often. Super 8 is still my main love and I can't see that ever changing despite everything going on with the electronic image today. I have never got over the thrill of having that tiny gauge running through a projector and since I rediscovered the hobby in 1989 I have not been able to believe the quality of the picture from that miniature frame. 35mm is incredible in the home but Super 8 has that indefinable something special to me.

It's also rather easy to thread up 90 minutes of film and just sit back and relax!

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Pablo Alvarez Roth
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 28, 2007 01:09 PM      Profile for Pablo Alvarez Roth   Email Pablo Alvarez Roth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gee I would love to buy a simple portable 35mm projector to add to my collection, are any of these avaliable, how much would one cost?, even a simple hand cranck one

anyone have one to offer me??

thanks guys
pablo.

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted April 28, 2007 01:27 PM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pablo:
Portable and affordable don't pair in the 35mm world. The more affordable machines are the theatre pedestal type, you can sometimes find good machines (like Philips) for less than 1000 USD.
One of the most favored portable projector is the Cinemeccanica Portacine but it generally sells between 4000 and 6000 USD. Providing you can find one (tough). And then, any old machine needs to be fitted with the new optical scan system in order to play the new cyan tracks.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted April 28, 2007 04:01 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Pablo
Recently there were two Chinese portable projectors plus all the extras for sale on our "Trade Me" web site cant remember what they went for in the end but they were quite cheap, I think they only had 2000ft capacity and not converted for cyan soundtracks, but in saying that most projectors can be modified, with many now moving into video projection 35mm equipment should in time become more available and cheaper to buy.

Graham.

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 28, 2007 11:32 PM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Pablo, on ebay Australia at the moment is a complete Kalee 11 at only $200! 35mm gear is reasonable if you have space and like everything big and heavy. I also collect 70mm projectors and now own four Philips Todd-AO DP 70 projectors. 35mm is easy compared to 70mm.

Nothing like 70mm!

David

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 29, 2007 03:14 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pablo, join the 35mm forum and you'll eventually find a decent portable. I have the Chinese Ging Gang Shan which was rebadged by a number of manufacturers and sold under their own name but the people on the forum will always set you straight.

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC