8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » ELVIS?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: ELVIS?
Lars Pettersson
Master Film Handler

- posted June 02, 2007 12:43 PM      Profile for Lars Pettersson   Email Lars Pettersson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm, let´s see: 8, 9.5 and 16mm projectors, vinyl records, reel-to-reel tape recorders and model railroads... I just have to ask: Are there any Elvis fans on the Forum? [Roll Eyes]

Cheers,
Lars

|  IP: Logged

Jose Artiles
Master Film Handler

- posted June 02, 2007 01:04 PM      Profile for Jose Artiles   Email Jose Artiles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Lars!!,im a great ELVIS FAN, i have almost all his movies on super 8mm and a lot of rares recordings,phone calls to girlfriends etc.Every august 16 i project a film of elvis to all my neigbors with a lot of sucess,i attend the elvis presley fan club of my town showing films of him every year on a big,big screen

--------------------
As Steven Spielberg says....
Nothing beats old school projection. Digital is just an imitation.

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 02, 2007 02:57 PM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You bet!!!
I missed a rare full length 8mm print of ELVIS ON TOUR a few weeks back on ebay!!

Lars Pettersson
Master Film Handler

- posted June 02, 2007 04:01 PM      Profile for Lars Pettersson   Email Lars Pettersson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why not celebrate january 8? [Wink]

Cheers,
Lars

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted June 02, 2007 11:19 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wella hella hella yeah! My wife is an Elvis fan and I try to purchase Elvis films when the price is right. [Cool] I personally like the first three Elvis movies the best. I have King Creole on super 8 thanks to Trev(Trevor Adams).

Lars Pettersson
Master Film Handler

- posted June 03, 2007 01:18 AM      Profile for Lars Pettersson   Email Lars Pettersson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That´s four of us Elvis fans so far. Maybe Douglas and Kevin will let us have a separate Elvis Forum here? [Smile] ...Just kidding.

Cheers,
Lars

Mike Nyberg
Junior

- posted June 03, 2007 09:22 PM      Profile for Mike Nyberg   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Nyberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unlike most other "moments" in history, I REMEMBER exactly where I was when I heard the news of Elvis' death.

--------------------
Visit my 8mm website:
http://home.pacbell.net/mnyberg/super8mm/

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted June 03, 2007 09:54 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...riding in my parent's station wagon on US Rt. 30 in front of the "Dutch Wonderland" tourist trap in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, aged 15. We heard the news over the radio. Every time I drive past there I still think about that moment.

He was a great talent, but is a classic case of how you can "have it all" and still be tragically unhappy.

Kind of sad to imagine how much he could have done if he'd been able to hold it together and live into present times.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Lars Pettersson
Master Film Handler

- posted June 04, 2007 01:25 AM      Profile for Lars Pettersson   Email Lars Pettersson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well put, Steve. Still on the lighter side, he left behind an enormous amount of phenomenal music.

Cheers,
Lars

Robert Tucker
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 04, 2007 11:59 AM      Profile for Robert Tucker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I had many prints on Super8, but I have only kept two, which I thought was great quality. Originally I had Blue Hawaii, which was on polyester stock, and the quality was fantastic. I also had full prints of Elvis on Tour (2 Prints) and Elvis That’s The Way It is. I have been told this was released by MGM officially as a three reeler; the quality on this was again superb,

The reason I let them go was I got Elvis On Tour in Scope in 16mm with dual mag tracks and Elvis That’s The Way it is also in scope on 16mm. I also obtained a print of Blue Hawaii in scope and in IB Technicolor. Unfortunately the prints I had on super 8 where all cropped which is not always very good.

What I have left of features are King Creole printed in the academy format so it’s slightly cropped so I gather you get the full picture instead of it being chopped from side to side? And GI Blues, which is a Viacom, print that is, I have been told the best you can get on Super 8.

Jean-Christophe Deblock
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 04, 2007 12:00 PM      Profile for Jean-Christophe Deblock     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi!

I have the 6 condensed feature from Ken Film. It's not excellent films, but it's always a pleasure to see Elvis during 20 minutes! And the song are great!

JC.

Lars Pettersson
Master Film Handler

- posted June 04, 2007 12:31 PM      Profile for Lars Pettersson   Email Lars Pettersson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robert, when you wrote "Elvis On Tour in Scope in 16mm with dual mag tracks" do you mean magnetic stereo sound ? [Eek!] What projector would play that back?

Elvis That’s The Way it is/scope/16mm -That´s fantastic! [Eek!]

Cheers,
Lars

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted June 04, 2007 09:06 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't remember where I was when I heard that Elvis died. Being that he was so overweight and forgeting the words to his songs, I wasn't shocked about it. There were alot stories in the news before his death about his life style. He couldn't live a normal life. Just imagine not being able to go out in public without being surrounded by crowds of fans(I think Tony Milman has that problem and that's why he will not post his pic). He was definitely the King in the entertainment world. Elvis was the coolest guy ever on stage or vinyl. [Cool]

Robert Tucker
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 05, 2007 11:51 AM      Profile for Robert Tucker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Lars,

As far as i am aware it has dual optical and mag tracks which means that it is in stereo, I think the reason this is the case it is in two Languages (original in optical) and the dual tracks in stereo. I have a fumeo 16mm 900watt Xenon but it only plays on one track at the moment, I am sure if i find or replace the heads at some stage for stereo tracks, it could be a possible.

The quality is fantastic but remember this film was orignally shot in SUPER 70MM and shown this way when orignally released.

Lars Pettersson
Master Film Handler

- posted June 05, 2007 12:20 PM      Profile for Lars Pettersson   Email Lars Pettersson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robert, I´m green with envy! But, I´ll be able to live with it, though, because I received an unexpected gift today: A bottle of Imported Californian Wine: "the king" cabernet Sauvignon with you-know-who on the label! [Smile]

Elvis on Tour Boasts several really good moments: When he ´s singing "Funny how time slips away" and goes "How i am doing? -well I´m sweating a bit, baby, but..." [Big Grin] Priceless!

Cheers,
Lars

Trevor Adams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 07, 2007 12:26 AM      Profile for Trevor Adams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Elvis and Hitler,the two male icons of the 20th century! [Wink]
My favorite title sequences,"The Third Man" and "King Creole" [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Trevor

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 07, 2007 03:35 AM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LOL!!!

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 12, 2007 07:05 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Elvis, to me, was always the Sinatra of his type of music. Noone could 'own' a song the way either of these two gents could.
I only have the 400-ft. S-8 digest of 'Fun in Acapulco', and even with the film being such a thin excuse, he still manages to make it fun.
I am now listening to some very enjoyable late recordings by Elvis, called "The Jungle Room Sessions", recorded at Graceland towards the end of his life. And even here, the joy of his art still shone through. Despite it all, what a talent.

Best,
Claus Harding.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Lars Pettersson
Master Film Handler

- posted June 14, 2007 02:39 AM      Profile for Lars Pettersson   Email Lars Pettersson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Claus,
Heartwarming post there! [Smile] Elvis must´ve been at the peak of his form vocally (during the first half of his career) right around the time for 'Fun in Acapulco'.
Can´t wait to hear "The Jungle Room Sessions"!

Cheers,
Lars

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC