8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » The End Of The Blockbuster

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The End Of The Blockbuster
Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted September 28, 2007 11:06 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well reflecting back over this year, I cant remember a time where the screen life of films such as Spiderman, Pirates, and Harry Potter were so short, they say as you get older time passes quicker, [Eek!] so I wonder if thats it, [Roll Eyes] however with a blink of an eye they came and went, are the days of the blockbuster gone? and possibly the days of going to the movies numbered?. I wonder if DVD and high definition Plasma, LCD, etc, etc, "home entertainment" is where things are heading, what do you think?

Graham.

|  IP: Logged

Robert Wales
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 29, 2007 08:24 AM      Profile for Robert Wales   Email Robert Wales   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Both Spider-Man 3 and Pirates 3 made over $300 million in North America alone and were equally or more successfull abroad. The latest Harry Potter film is actually the 2nd most successful in the series dollar-wise although it did not quite reach $300 million in North America. Audiences today are more likely to catch up with films quickly ( especially sequels since they know what they're getting ) rather than waiting weeks or months to see the hits as major releases are flooding the marketplace on a weekly basis and attention spans are diverted by multi-million dollar ad campaigns. This summer a record 17 films grossed over $100 million in North America, so somebody must be going. It is no longer uncommon for films to gross more internationally than in North America, which was almost unheard-of twenty years ago. The world market is expanding, rather than shrinking.
DVD and home theatre has cut into the repeat business factor that would often extend a film's run in the big cities as most people are more likely to wait for the video release to see a film they enjoyed for a second time.
The theatre business is evolving and changing ( and has been for years now ) but will still be around for quite a few more years, I believe.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted September 29, 2007 12:27 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would think that DVD (sales and rentals)has been a boon to the movie studios. Films which do not do well at movie theaters will often still turn a handsome profit when DVD sales and rentals are factored in. People seem quite content to pay rental fees for mediocre movies that they would not think of paying to see at a movie theater. Ask yourself how much you have spent to buy DVD's for your film collection, multiply that by a few hundred million, and you will realize how much the money must be rolling into the film studios.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted September 29, 2007 04:39 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Someone recently told me they thought cinemas were just being used to promote future DVD sales of films. It does make you wonder if there is some truth to this considering the very short time scale between when a movie finishing its run at the cinema and its DVD release. The down side to this and I often here these comments from people are "we will watch it when it comes out on DVD" although I often tell people nothing can beat the big screen, you feel at times such comments are falling on deaf ears, across the road from the cinema where I work there is a large discount store with thousands of cheap DVDs the quality of many are very good, and with a trend now of buying triple packs at at a price of a couple of movie tickets. The cinema owners out here are really up against it. Spiderman as an example, for the first few weeks did really well then it crashed, the numbers dropped dramatically the feedback from the public was the movie was OK but nobody was saying that it was great, just OK! after four weeks I pulled the plug on it, we were the first cinema in the city to do this and I noticed soon after other cinemas were doing the same. It seems strange to me that people measure the success of a film in dollars, is it a good film because it has made X number of $'s in its first week, or is it through an expensive advertising campaign which is encouraging people to see a film which sometimes in truth might not be that good, when this happens it can put people off coming back to the cinema, and in future hire or buy a DVD instead.

Graham.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 30, 2007 01:51 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a very interesting subject.

The advent of video sales has really changed the motion picture industy. I remember when "Raiders Of The Lost Ark" was first in the movie theater. I was astounded that it actually played for over a year in oine movie theater alone in Boise Idaho here. Star wars was constantly in movie theaters all the way until Empire Strikes back came out ...

But that was back when you couldn't simply see it on video or DVD or even network TV, (at least, not for a number of years). You hyad no option except except to buy a edited version on Super 8mm or 16mm.

DVD and video changed all that. Coupled with peoples incredibly short attention span today. It seems most everybody want somethin g new every day or so, and if it isn't new, then screw it.

Quite frankly, I play the "wait until it's out on DVD" game, but this is for two reasons :

1. I rarely see a movie that I would plaster out almost ten bucks to see in the theaters to see in the theater.

2.. The public habits of the average theater goer are so abysmal. The last time I went to a movie theater was when "Star wars part 3 " I tell you the truth, I was never EVER so close to truly beating the living shit out of some parents as I was that day, who thought "little Timmy" was so cute running all over the damned place screaming his little assinine head off during the film, only to stop for a brief second when something exploded on screen!

There ought to be a pamplet handed out at your local theater explaining "proper film going ediquette" for the average person, who wouldn't good manners if it came up and bit them on thier ignorant asses!!

Enough venting.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Eric Baucher
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 30, 2007 08:33 PM      Profile for Eric Baucher   Author's Homepage   Email Eric Baucher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
its also easier for people to get that "theater" effect at home now with large screen TV's and surround sound systems. the other possible reason for quick DVD releases is to let people "have it now" to avoid piracy. the quicker you make it available to the public, the fewer that might get impatient and own it through alternate means. Eventually you will be able to own your own copy of a movie right after you see it...its being worked out now so in a few years instant sales will be possible. I still like watching film, I'll never get tired of it. there really is something special about it. I just know most of the population just wont agree with me.

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 01, 2007 02:46 PM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also...there are more screens out there...multi screen multiplexes often show films all day on two and three screens at a time...it's possible for more people to see a first run film in one weekend these days , than in a month in the 70's. There's really no need to hold films over very long. So the number of second run theaters is down to only few...and , as has been pointed out, the wait to see a film on DVD is sometimes measured in weeks....not years.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 01, 2007 08:45 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Eric, you had a very good point. I have a (now old fashioned) Dolby digital 5.1, (as well as the classic 70's style Dolby Surround set up), and I never get as good of sound in the theater than I do at home. Mostly due to surface noise, (the inevitable slight "human noise". All the subtle high's and lows really knock you out.

But i still prefer seeing a good print of "Big Business" (laurel and hardy, 1929, silent) on super 8 from Blackhawk, than seeing it on some pristine "restored" DVD.

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted October 02, 2007 02:36 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One aspect that most people are finding tough out here is the cost, Adult ticket is $12 a child $7 thats what we charge, other cinemas its $14 to $15 an Adult and $8 or more for a child so for two adults and two children you are out of pocket by at least $46 and that's not including popcorn etc so a visit to the movies can easly cost $50 to $60, a lot for a two hour movie.

After reading the comments regarding having to put up with annoying people we had a lady complain that she was trying to watch the film but was distracted by people eating crisps all she could here was crunch... crunch... crunch.. [Roll Eyes] , there wasn't much we could do about it considering we sold it in the fist place, but I could certainly understand her concerns.

One amusing incident happend during the last school holidays, after a film had finished I went into the cinema and saw with surprise four boys on there hands and knees picking up every piece of popcorn off the floor around where they had been sitting, I asked a staff member why they were doing this the reply was, they made the mess they can clean it up!. I bet they don't do that again!.

Graham. [Smile]

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 02, 2007 05:35 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love running my films at home, but I enjoy the thrill of going to the cinema even more. I am constantly searching for the total two hour escape and with the right film (about 1 in 5 these days)it is totally worth the cinema experience.

Films I have enjoyed lately are Ratatouille, Waitress and Super Bad. You can see my tastes are varied but I enjoyed each one completly in the cinema. It allows me to forget all other thoughts and distractions; the screens are big, the sound excellent.

True there are negatives about todays cinemas, but when I was a kid the sound was mostly mono, screens were trapped in small proceniums and people talked and ate loudly just as much as today. I remember childrens matinees where I could not hear the dialogue for 30 seconds at a time due to the noise!

Don't get me wrong, as a projectionist at Australia's formerly largest cinema the magnificent atmospheric Forum, nee State Melbourne (3400 seats), I love the picture palaces and all that went along with them. The presentation was special we had banks of coloured lights, two massive Cinemeccanica Victoria X 70mm projectors and the last film we ran before the theatre closed was Back To The Future....for an entire year!

The business is has drastically changed, some for better some for worse, but it is still here and as relevant as ever. I recall my old projectionist telling me that when he was an assistant projectionist his chief told him that the business went to the pack when sound came in and the talkies ruined the business.

Sure films come and go fast today but there is more choice than ever before. The former Hoyts suburban circuit here in Melbourne once numbered almost 50 single screen theatres, yet the choice of films on any given night was as little as five (plus supports). Art/foreign films were almost impossible to find and even classics were censored.

Yesterday was great, but today I still love the movie business.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 02, 2007 10:59 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know, it's strange. (I mentioned it before), but here I can get a fully restored film, that even looks better than the original negative, (or at least, better than any person ever saw it in the movie theaters ... a good example of this is the DVD of Metropolis, restored) ...

... and yet, I really prefer the grain, the slight dust that occasionally pops up on the screen. On old silent movies, I actually like some scratches on the screen as it reminds me of the passing of time.

Perhaps it's because when I watch a film like "Big Business" (1929 laurel and hardy), on an actual screen from my film print, I feel akin to the audience, in 1929, and I'm laughing WITH THEM, I'm in the theater with them. No time has passed.

DVD may outnumber the number of film prints I have someday, but they will never take the place of what film prints ,mean to me.

Let's face it boys, (as we are mostly men on this forum), we are the last gteneration who will enjoy celluloid. Our L.P.P. prints will last perhaps awhile longer than we do, but as a general rule, all our Blackhawk and such prints will age against our will. Our projectors will age and someday become un-usable, hopefully after we die ...

We have the joy that young people will never understand or really value. Most young people these days are absolutely fascinated when they actually see a reel of film unspooled
but do not understand the significance of celluloid. They do not understand that these seperate images frame by frame, make up what they see on those DVD's (as a general rule).

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted October 02, 2007 12:59 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ahhh! who can remember those fun days of fighting over the arm rests, the first thing you did when you got to your seat, "a male territorial thing". [Big Grin]

Graham.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC