8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Blu-ray.What do you think of it?. (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Blu-ray.What do you think of it?.
Mark Todd
Film God

- posted October 23, 2007 08:37 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does your TV or projector handle Pal Osi, thats the main question or if not does your multi region player alter pal to NTCS.
Many of the( especially cheaper ) multi region dvd players here turn NTSC into pal and do a good job too.
Best Mark.
PS the region thing will be fine.
PPS am I right thinking that film with Mark was filmed in the North in the UK, but I may be thinking of another one.

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 23, 2007 10:51 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know that "Slipstream" was a UK film release, but I think it was mostly filmed in New Zealand.

This film has been widely available on DVD in america, but it was from a rather worn video copy and looked horrible. The UK release of this film is in the letterboxed format, (not the full scope of it's original release, but then, many films are released theatrically in different formats.) with a great Dolby stereo soundtrack. I think it is taken from the 2001 Laserdisc release from Japan, (one of the last official laserdisc releases), and transfered from that.

At any rate, it will probably be awhile until this specific version is released in america, AND I WANNIT NOW!!

Back on topic now ...

I would caution fellow forum members not to make the mistake of funding a move to Blu-Ray, by ravaging they're film collections.
I made that major mistake about twenty years ago, and got back into the Super 8 hobby about four years ago and with my advanced years now, I have the wisdom to at least hold onto me one true love, over the "format of the month/year."

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Robert Wales
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 27, 2007 09:14 AM      Profile for Robert Wales   Email Robert Wales   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
An excellent article can be found at the High-Def DIgest pointing out some of the misconceptions that have found their way into this thread concerning the picture quality of one format over another :

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Joshua_Zyber/Commentary:_Specs_vs._Reality/1096

Having used both for just over a year now, I have seen there is NO difference in quality between the two HD disc formats. If you are to choose one format vs another studio support for a particular format is far more likely to influence your decision than anything else.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted October 28, 2007 01:44 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Look at the compression artifacts Robert. HD-DVD is much more noticeable.

Then again you may NOT want to look for them. It's like reel change cues. Once you see them, you can't ever NOT see them.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 29, 2007 06:00 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting link Robert.

Actually, I bought the "Fith Element:Ultimate edition" on DVD, and even this version is a very good improvement on the original DVD release, (love the extras!)

I think that what it REALLY comes down to, is, which format will survive, and which one will go the way of beta?
I believe that blu-ray will be the winner, and I'll wait for the players to go down on price. At least I know that blu rays play regular DVDs.

--------------------

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 23, 2007 11:31 AM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
Rember too Osi that BLU-RAY is 24fps frmat,not 25fps,like standed Dvds or video tape.Sounds good to me for pulse/sync.Andy.

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted November 23, 2007 03:04 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Andy good to see you back, how about some reviews and whats on in extras etc.
Best Mark.

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 23, 2007 03:09 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Andy

Good to see you're still checking in, the forum's a little quieter without you...

Mike [Cool]

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Robert Wales
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 23, 2007 03:19 PM      Profile for Robert Wales   Email Robert Wales   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, HD-DVD players also play regular dvds and most will also play compact discs. In fact, one of the reasons Toshiba pushed so hard for their format was that it enabled existing manufacturing plants to produce HD discs with relatively simple modifications to their equipment, while Blu-Ray replicators have to install all-new ( and expensive ) equipment.

Brad, please elaborate on these artifacts you are seeing. I have been reading four or five major video forums for years now and one of the few things I DON"T see is any fighting that one format has any significant picture quality difference over another, especially from reviewers who compare those titles which are available on both formats. People fight about everything else, but those of us who have both formats do not see any major difference between the two. What equipment are you running ?

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted November 23, 2007 04:18 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Consumer Reports here in the USA just completed a test comparison of HD DVD versus Blu Ray, and concluded there was absolutely no difference in HD picture quality.

http://www.audioholics.com/news/industry-news/consumer-reports-blu-ray-hd-dvd-equal

But HD DVD players did a better job of upscaling standard resolution DVD's, and Sony is still trying to get all the Blu Ray extra functions to work properly. Also HD DVD players and discs are much cheaper than Blu Ray.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 29, 2007 07:38 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really don't know which to invest in, honestly. I am debating buying a few blu-ray discs, but the question kind of comes down to if there are any films that you really want to see in HD or blu-ray.

One thing is for sure, HDTV is of course coming and in fact here.

Honestly, it could be a mere couple of years until bought discs disappear altogether and were downloading everything!!!

Awww ... all those poor people who have to buy the latest technology so that they can get that perfect look of the film grain ....

WHEN WE ALREADY HAVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

LONG LIVE SUPER 8MM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted November 30, 2007 06:43 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi yes I was reading an article about this that both formats may actually be overtaken by HD downloads and streaming, sky etc etc so end up not quite as big as expected and likely ordinary DVD will remaim very very strong after all.But I do think blue ray will get very strong of the two.
I was watching band of brothers 8 feet wide on usual dvd via my old video projector the other night and honestly the qaulity was awesome, I really don`t think I need any better than that. Never seen even 16mm look like that so where do you need to go from there.
Ive been tempted by Blue ray but as I still can`t help buying real film, even just trailers, I simply can`t afford it really.
I did get a new dvd player for £25 a few months ago with progresive scan and 12 bit decoding etc and its brilliant, what more could you need. Saying that I think in the new year I will go Blue Ray as the temptations are getting stronger.
The VMD HD format really would have been the way to go using upgraded more layer red dvds and keeping all the costs down and supporting all previous media but I don`t expect that will take off as no backing though it may do in asia etc.
Best Mark.
By the way PF one of our film dealers is doing great value BR discs now.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC