8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Doctor Zhivago

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Doctor Zhivago
Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted November 23, 2007 07:03 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently watched this film the entire 192 minutes [Eek!] on DVD, first time since watching it at the movies long long ago, [Roll Eyes] the incredible scenery, sets, and film making, also made me think how much films have changed over the years, today we talk about blockbusters and frankly they are not very good compared with films like "Doctor Zhivago", also I imagine being a projectionist in those days with two projectors, changeovers every 20 minutes plus all the lighting and intermission stuff you had to do "it must have been something", going to the movies has certainly changed, has anyone got this film full length on Super8, and what is it like? I do have the Scope trl which I intend to re-record from the DVD. well here is a still from the movie, can you guess what the snow was made off?
 -
Graham. [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

Hugh McCullough
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 24, 2007 05:58 AM      Profile for Hugh McCullough   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I showed "Doctor Zhivago" in 70mm.
Two projectors, carbon arcs, and single reels. Got no idea of the weight of the spool when it had film on it, but an empty 70mm one weighed about 10 Lbs.
Lifting a full spool up to the top spool box was quite a feat. Mind you, the excersise did you good.
I think that the snow was made of paper, mixed with some liquid chemical, dried, and then sprayed over the set.

--------------------
EIKI Ex 6100 xenon machine.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted November 24, 2007 07:29 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hugh
Over 3 hours of "Doctor Zhivago" on 70mm, I bet the image looked great, [Smile] how long was each reel?, I dont think any cinema out here projects 70mm anymore "pity", was it 4 track stereo magnetic stripe.? The last time I watched 70mm was in the cinerama theatre back in the 70s, sadly the cinema has long gone, instead of going video projection, myby they should screen it instead, [Wink] is it still used much in the UK?.

Graham. [Smile]

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 24, 2007 10:32 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, "Zhivago"; one of the ones I think of simply as one of the 'big, beautiful films' along with 'Lawrence' 'Passage to India' '1900' and a very few others. I have never watched them on DVD, and I don't know that I would want to try to do justice to them at home in 16mm, even in 'Scope (after going broke buying a print 192mins long.)

I did see it first in 70mm at the Uptown here in Washington; like you said, Hugh, pity noone circulates those prints anymore, especially since here the Uptown still has the same Centurys capable of running the format.

'Zhivago', to me, is one of very few films to get "winter cold" right, emotionally, on film.

Best,
Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Hugh McCullough
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 25, 2007 06:35 AM      Profile for Hugh McCullough   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can not remember how many reels "Doctor Zhivago" had, but I do remember that some ran for only about 16 mins, and others up to 20 mins.

Mind you, "Ben Hur" had some 10 min reels, and MGM would not allow us to join them together.

We projected onto our scope screen of 45ft wide, but for 70mm the top masking was raised by about 3ft.

Having retired, and only working part time in a small cinema in the countryside, I am not sure if 70mm is used much these days in the UK, digital seems to be the latest craze at the moment, but I believe that when it is projected there is no longer any mag stripes. The film sound is played back using the DTS system. Mag striping is deemed to be not Green.
Must be a joke there somewhere as mag stripe is brown.

I have always thought that mag sound, be it tape or on film, is rather an odd idea.
Scraping a layer of rust over a piece of brass with a hole in it.

For more information about mag striped 70mm please go to my web site at
http://www.cinephoto.co.uk/misc_film_9.htm

--------------------
EIKI Ex 6100 xenon machine.

Michael Hyde
Film Handler

- posted November 25, 2007 11:57 AM      Profile for Michael Hyde   Email Michael Hyde   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I must confess to buying a full lenght scope print on 8 about five or six years back. i cleaned it,put it on the shelf and never watched it sadly,it`s still there now,one day perhaps....

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted November 25, 2007 02:08 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To Michael Hyde,

Geez Michael,

Get it off the shelf and watch it!!!!!

-Mike.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 28, 2007 03:09 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Believe it or not folks, Docor Z. was an optical feature, for the long flights overseas and was in two parts, (as each part could only be a little under two hours.)

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

David Park
Master Film Handler

- posted December 07, 2007 11:22 AM      Profile for David Park   Email David Park   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Graham, yes 70mm still used at the Picture Ville cinema, Bradford, it is part of the National Media Museum. I attend the annual w/s weekend each year.

--------------------
Regards,
David

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted December 10, 2007 02:24 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi David
Pleased to read that 70mm is still used I have never seen anything else that has come close to 70mm quality, its a pity it is not used a lot more.

Graham. [Smile]

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 10, 2007 11:22 AM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham,

I couldn't agree more, and I consider myself lucky to have arrived in the US in time to see both premieres (like 'Alien') in 70mm and also the great re-runs (Zhivago, Ben-Hur and others)
in that beautiful format before the money men decided that it wasn't worth the expense anymore.

Pity.

Claus

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

David Park
Master Film Handler

- posted December 10, 2007 11:49 AM      Profile for David Park   Email David Park   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When the re runs done how do they handle the sound?
The orginals had 5 tracks for behind the screen, do they mix into the normal 3 of today?
I've a feeling only 3 behind the 70mm screen at Pictureville.
I'm trying to remember I saw the 70mm rollup and then the speakers went up prior to the deep curve Cinerama being used.
Regards
David

--------------------
Regards,
David

David Park
Master Film Handler

- posted December 17, 2007 09:07 AM      Profile for David Park   Email David Park   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
70mm etc.
Just been made aware the web pages for the 2008 W/S W/E as come up.
Book mark for future use.
http://www.nationalmediamuseum.org.uk/bff/2008/widescreen.asp
I note Windjammer is on its 50th aniversary, saw it a few years ago, but sadly all colour had gone from the print.

--------------------
Regards,
David

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC