8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Close Encounters on DVD

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Close Encounters on DVD
Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted December 21, 2007 07:39 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although this title has been out for a while I was surprised to come across this new 30th Anniversary Edition.
 -
Included are three DVDs, and are well presented, the original at 129min, the special edition at 127min, and the directors cut at 132min, all remastered Audio and Video, the sound is either 5:1 Dolby Digital or DTS 5:1, very impressive, also a 64 page book, a movie poster which on the back includes a comparison poster on all three films, and if that is not enough heaps of extras on the DVDs, so far I have only watched the original, a word of caution though, if you use a sub-woofer the sound can really kick in, making things rattle a bit, [Eek!] I dont usually mention DVDs but this one is well worth getting.

Graham. [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted December 21, 2007 08:27 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is certainly a stocking stuffer for me!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted December 22, 2007 02:38 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi
Watching some of the special features, great stuff, they mention that this anniversary edition is also available in High Definition "Blue Ray".

Graham.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted December 22, 2007 11:31 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm assuming that the main documantary that was offered on the DVD edition from a few years earlier.

The problem with some blu-ray versions of special editions, is that it will have the movie, it WONT have some of the special features.

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted December 23, 2007 04:33 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Osi
On this DVD there is "The Making of Close Encounters" Part 1, 2,and 3, which are spread over the three discs, plus Steven Spielberg 30 years of Close Encounters on disc 3, and a featurette "Watch the Skies" plus trls for each film. "The Making Of" in itself was a fasinating insight to the movie, worth the price of the DVD alone, watched the directors cut today and was really impressed, I haven't seen the Blue Ray discs, but can only imagine the picture quality to be of a high standard.

Graham.

Robert Wales
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 23, 2007 10:05 AM      Profile for Robert Wales   Email Robert Wales   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I would ALWAYS choose a higher-quality stand-alone version of a film on Blu-Ray or HD-DVD over special features that might be available on standard DVD.

However, in the case of "Close Encounters', the Blu-Ray appears to have all of the bonus features as well as some Blu-Ray exclusive features for fans like Osi.

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/closeencounters.html

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted December 23, 2007 04:48 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Graham are the trailers on board please.
Thanks Mark.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted December 26, 2007 03:31 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mark
The trailers are.
On disc one... The Original Theatrical Preview, with a running time of 5min 40sec.

Disc two.... Summer Special Edition trailer running time 1min 50sec.

Disc three...30th Anniversary Ultimate Edition trailer 1min 24sec, stating at the end, landing November 13th on DVD and Blu-ray disc High Definition.

Graham. [Smile]

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted December 26, 2007 09:51 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was reading on that link about this release and they were saying the picture looks stunning.

My question is ... will it be so cleaned up that we see the "special effects" blue screen lines? I have both versions (77-80) of this film on letterboxed laserdisc, and while the restored 1977 (criterion) version is seamless and all the special effects look good, the 1980's special edition, you can clearly see the seams. I don't know if it was a matter of the transfer or what, but the 1977 version actually looked better.

--------------------

Robert Wales
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 16, 2008 09:35 PM      Profile for Robert Wales   Email Robert Wales   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi;

Amazon U.S. currently has the Blu-Ray on sale for less than half price - only $23.99 !
I've seen this disc and it's stunning, and ordered one for myself at this price. Don't wait too long though as this offer is already several days old.

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 20, 2008 05:18 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought a copy of the R2 release, superb quality, but each disc had a problem, no DTS track, just Dolby Digital, so I've had to send them back and I'm waiting for a replacement now, this must be a fault at the processing plant, as I know the R1 has fine DTS tracks.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted January 23, 2008 03:14 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Barry
Just checked our Region 4 "Pal" DVD, all three versions have "DTS", went to "audio set up" on each disc selected DTS 5:1 the Yamaha amp picked it up straight away, and indicated "DTS" also showing that all speakers were on line, just prior to the Columbia intro there is also "The Digital Experience" DTS logo.

Just finished reading about the Blu-ray "The Final Cut of Blade Runner" sounds fantastic cant wait to buy one of those Blu-ray things, [Wink] although my wife has other ideas [Frown] I was reading somewhere that "2001" is also available although this film is zzzzzzzz material it should look really good, some interesting titles are coming out "Thats Entertainment" as a 3 disc set, plus many more and with Fox, Disney, Warner Bros, etc pushing things along it should be interesting times ahead, not just for home entertainment but going to the cinema [Roll Eyes] as well.

Graham. [Smile]

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted January 23, 2008 03:20 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Crikey bit late here but thanks Graham RE the trailers.
Best Mark.

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 24, 2008 02:43 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just received back my replacement copy, and that has the same fault, no DTS track, now Play.com are doing a stock check on this title, I can't be the only one to have noticed the lack of DTS track, can I? This must be a bad batch, and there going to let me know in a couple of days what I'm supposed to do with this one again.

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 24, 2008 04:37 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't be surprised Barry. When Die Hard With A Vengeance was first issued they missed out a complete reel.

I have a DVD of Speed from which they left off the subwoofer track. The box says 5.1 but they stuck the 5.0 track on it. No one else would have noticed so they got away with it.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

David Park
Master Film Handler

- posted January 25, 2008 10:31 AM      Profile for David Park   Email David Park   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looked in Tesco today to see what they have, not got this edition we are talking about. But at £4 they have a special collectors release will this be the R2 with your lack of DTS?
Is picture transfer a good one?

--------------------
Regards,
David

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 28, 2008 07:28 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well the replacement had the same fault, and it seems the whole batch at Play.com has no DTS tracks, I've had my money back, and now I've ordered the R4 version from Australia, it's only a £5 more and guaranteed DTS.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 24, 2008 10:00 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I finally received this today, (September 24), and it was worth the wait for it. The picture is a little sharper than the earlier special 2 disc DVD version from a few years back ...

but Crikey, they missed something!

On this ultimate 30th Anniversary edition, they don't have any of the deleted scenes, which the 2 disc version from a few years back ...had!

So, I still have to keep at least the second disc of this earlier version.

--------------------

David Park
Master Film Handler

- posted October 25, 2008 02:08 AM      Profile for David Park   Email David Park   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Deleted scenes interesting thing they are, actually I guess in the main I only watch the actual movie and not the extras, trailers yes. I think it because to me the 'making of ..' is more like TV and not cinema. I do view my DVDs on large screen and not a TV.
Back to deleted scenes what I do wish is they gave you the choice of having them back in the film in the correct place.

--------------------
Regards,
David

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC