8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Film Shows

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Film Shows
Gordon Hunter
Film Handler

- posted February 07, 2008 07:10 PM      Profile for Gordon Hunter   Email Gordon Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi All,
Just given my fifth film show this year. I also gave some twelve shows last year and now have to keep a record of the actual films shown at each venue, to prevent duplication on a return visit. This all started off early last year, when I gave a film show to the local Heritage Society entitled "An Afternoon at the Pictures". This led to my details being passed on with my permission, to the local club secretaries.
Anyone else giving shows like this?
Incidentally, by popular request, I have to finish the shows with a Laurel and Hardy!

|  IP: Logged

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 07, 2008 07:23 PM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Gordon,
I recently put on a show for a local Drama group who wanted musicals shown,Just done 200 and 400 ft cutdowns for them with adverts and trailers to start.Last Year we had a charity film night and was a great success showing all types of films and at the end had a vote on the final film which was fun to do,we also showed some L & H and they are always popular and it's always rewarding to see your audience enjoying themselves Mark.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted February 07, 2008 08:23 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Odd this should come up...

Every year my wife and I run a winter weekend for our camping club by renting a big house on a beautiful rural island (accessable only by ferry) east of here. Every couple of years I do a film show and this is the year, and tomorrow we travel.

Here's the line-up:

Show Title (The Great Outdoors)

Bearly Awake
Springtime (one of my films)
Sounds of Arizona
Adirondack Sunset (also one of mine)
Wildlife Interlude

Note: not just a remote show, but a remote show with mixed cinemascope/academy running on two projectors! When I over-do it, I go right off the cliff!

The kicker is on top of the cinema we have the three of us plus two hangers-on that need a ride plus baggage plus weekend stuff.

Fitting all this in a mini-van will be kind of a three dimensional puzzle!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted February 08, 2008 07:18 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey!

It all fits!

Well, we must be off! (just slightly...)

--------------------

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 08, 2008 09:15 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've only done family/friend film shows at home the past couple of years. This is because, I'm down to only one high-end projector (Sankyo ST-800), and I don't like to over-work it with traveling shows. When I get a back-up high-end projector, I'd like to do some shows again.

My most popular ones were the OUR GANG / LITTE RASCALS shorts. These are loved by all ages, and are not shown on TV much. Also, classic cartoons are popular.

James.

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted February 08, 2008 05:12 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My long-standing quest to have a film show for us users of this forum, akin to the ones held in Europe. And we can do it. I'm going to make inquiries at CINEFEST regarding details. I think its high time

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted February 11, 2008 10:08 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My show came off well.

One good friend who simply has never "gotten it" was sitting out in the audience and said his usual "I don't understand why you just don't use video, this is so much trouble" I decided to help him answer it for himself, I said "Joe, let's say you were riding down the street in a spotless, newly restored '57 Chevy, and somebody stepped off the curb and said 'If you got a Honda Civic, you'd get much better gas mileage and it would be quieter and safer'. How would you answer them?" I saw a brief flicker of understanding. I think Joe may have finally jumped the video/film barrier. Sometimes to get people on your side, you just need to speak their language.

The trip out was interesting. You see for about the past three years I've had a nice 92" wide matte screen, and I've refused to use anything smaller because the big screen makes such an impact. The problem is we needed to put the bench in the middle row of the van because we had 5 people. So the screen ran underneath the bench and one end wound up where the passenger's feet rested. Normally I'd yank the rear bench, let the screen rest on top of the other stuff and run between the center bucket seats and rest on the console between the front seats.

A little pre-flight lecture on not stepping on it got it there and back without a mark on it. It is now safely dangling from its hooks behind the living room curtains again. A wall mount screen is usually not as adventurous as this one, but mine seems to get around quite a bit.

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC