8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » The New Indiana Jones movie - running time (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: The New Indiana Jones movie - running time
Alan Rik
Film God

- posted May 27, 2008 12:35 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just saw the film tonight and I have to say I REALLY liked it. Yes it could have moved a little more briskly but I just think the character of Indy is such a great one. I think it is his defining role. My favorite line is where Shia watches Indy kick some serious butt and he looks at him and says, "Your a teacher?". Indy smirks and says, "Part time".
There is something very comfortable about Spielberg and Indy together again. I for one and glad that this film came out. Now if we could only clone Harrison Ford...than the series could go on indefinitely....Great stuff..!

|  IP: Logged

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 27, 2008 05:56 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

I saw the film on Sunday. IMHO it's a good, entertaining movie compared to other contemporary movies. But IMHO it's only mediocre compared to the last crusade. I guess that the film would have worked better if they didn't tried to add actors from the past films at all costs.
What I didn't like was the optical quality - especially the scenes in Nevada looked more like a bad video-projection. The remaining film was "okay", but far from the 70mm-print of the last crusade I was seeing in the Royal Palast (RIP) back in 1989. In fact Derann's Super8-print of the last crusade might look better. (No, I was seeing a 35mm-print - there was film running through the projector while I left during the credits!)

Even though I might sound a little bit disappointed, I recommend this film to all fans of Indiana Jones. And it's definitely worth been seen on the big screen.

Jörg

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 27, 2008 06:42 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have to agree about the print quality.

Dull, grainy and with loads of fluctuations in density and colour throughout - the copy I saw really was suprisingly poor.

Shame really in this day and age when the more enlightened amongst us are still trying to argue with our mates that film remains superior to digital projection; then you get a duffer print like that on such a big title.

Where's me super 8 projector and me copy of "Raiders"...at least I can make sure it is in focus unlike the copy of "Crystal Skull" I saw... [Roll Eyes]

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 27, 2008 10:55 AM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Would the print quality have anything to do with the massive amount of release prints needed all at the same time? Over 4,000 here in the US alone. That's not unheard of, but is more than most releases.

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 27, 2008 05:02 PM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have just returned from seeing the movie and have to agree with most of my esteemed forum colleagues, with their comments. It was a lot better than I expected, a little slow in parts, with plots taken from Quatermass and the ending very much like Mummy 2. What I was really disappointed with, was the presentation. The film was in and out of focus, especially on the titles. I felt like going to the booth and adjusting it. All in all, a good evenings entertainment and a recommended viewing.

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 27, 2008 05:35 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Keith, I see you're from Manchester...may I ask at which cinema you saw the (out-of-focus) movie? [Wink]

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 27, 2008 05:56 PM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Rob. We saw it at the Cineworld Multiplex, Ashton Moss, Ashton-Under-Lyne. Must also say that the cimema left a lot to be desired, considering it's a fairly new complex. The auditorium hadn't been cleaned for sometime. That also applied to the toilets.
Makes having a home cinema that much better!

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

Michael Scalise
Film Handler

- posted May 27, 2008 08:51 PM      Profile for Michael Scalise   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Scalise   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I too saw the film and was a fun time...Without giving spoilers for those that have not seen it I did make some interesting observations of references to other Speilberg/Lucas films...and another sci-fi great...

1. The kids drag racing scene and the 50's diner atmosphere brought to mind American Graffiti

2. The old bearded man in the film...John Hurt...was in the original Alien...and the crystal skull he carried throughout the new Indy film is similar to the shape of Alien's head.

3. The final scene was similar to the departure scene in Close Encounters. Even the framing had Harrison in the foreground looking on as the action unfolded. Similar to the characters in Close Encounters.

4. The church scene reminded me of the throne room scene in Star Wars...especially when Harrison turns around and the people clap and cheer...just as they did for our heroes after blowing up the Death Star.

No one has mentioned this in anything I have read...and I got to thinking after seeing the film...I mean it came from the minds of Spielberg and Lucas...and I guess they can give a nod to their own previous films if they want...plus it makes a neat inside reference for their fans to catch.

Any thoughts????? [Eek!]

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 28, 2008 01:52 AM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your absolutely right Michael. Now that you mention it, those could be taken as "reference or homage" scenes (Although Alien is not a Lucas/Spielberg film). If Spielberg and Lucas wish to "blow there own trumpet" about their work, then why not?

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted May 28, 2008 03:33 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lance
Thanks for your running time I used it to estimate the screening times at the cinema they were spot on [Smile] I have not had the chance to watch the movie full length so far have been to busy, however when checking the focus from time to time the print that we are running looks really good no problems at all nice and sharp, have programmed the movie to run in another screen next week for one day to try out the DTS and compare the sound with the usual Dolby Digital, look forward to watching it soon.

Graham. [Smile]

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 28, 2008 09:22 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It must have been an different out-of-focus print I saw then, Keith [Roll Eyes] We went to what is now the Odeon at the Printworks in the centre of Manchester.

Great cinema if you buy the pricey seats...big comfy leather chairs with all the natchos and popcorn you can eat. Plus you sit in a balcony above the riff-raff in the stalls [Wink]

Only down side is the £15 per ticket!

Graham, nice to know there are at least some decent prints out there. I would love to see this in DTS as no one local to me seems to have it [Frown]

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted May 28, 2008 09:40 AM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regarding references, did anyone catch the one where the Russian lady puts the crystal skull on the headless alien skeleton and a few moments later, Indy remarks "I have a bad feeling about this?"
Same thing Han Solo would say repeatedly throughout the original 3 Star Wars movies [Smile]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Michael Scalise
Film Handler

- posted May 28, 2008 05:16 PM      Profile for Michael Scalise   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Scalise   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah...you are correct.."I have a bad feeling about this" was a definite Star Wars reference....they really did have fun with this one....woo hoo!!

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted May 29, 2008 01:16 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Rob
I tend to be a bit one eyed towards DTS [Smile] its got the edge over Dolby Digital, when we installed DTS it was about the time Master Commander came out, the sound system was so responsive towards the DTS the sound quality was impressive, very few screens have it out here which is a pity, funny thing a couple of years ago a new multi-plex opened near here and one night we went to it to watch a movie at this new cinema, the manager at that time offered me a look around projection box tour etc well after the movie they asked me what I thought I told them their sound system was just ho-hum nothing great middle of the road stuff, followed by many other faults that the cinema had, [Eek!] they also had the bad habit of cranking the sound level up just to impress people so they thought, my thinking was the opposite. I told them I like quality sound not quantity, [Roll Eyes] well I did hear that my name was "mud" around there for a while, well one day both the head projectionist and manager turned up at our humble cinema and spent the day with me and we got on really well. I showed them what a well tuned sound system with more powerfull amps and speakers can achieve without the need to blow people away or for them to leave the cinema with there ears ringing, whats even more amazing after this meeting they still offered me free movie passes, [Smile] its a pity that many multi-plexes might only have one projectionist on and things like focus etc are not kept an eye on, so if a film is out of focus they dont do anything about it till someone complains and by that time they have some disapointed people on there hands, well that my theory for what its worth.

Graham. [Smile]

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted May 29, 2008 07:12 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of the reasons I liked it so much was for the reasons pointed above! There was so much that was so familiar....the scene at the end WAS like the coronation at the end of Star Wars. And I loved all the "little' bits thrown in. When they were escaping the warehouse and just before they got out they hit one of the crates open and you could just see the side of ...was that the Golden Ark from the first film? Did anyone else catch it? When I saw this film it reminded me of countless Saturday afternoons waiting for the new Lucas/Spielberg film. Everything about the way these 2 make films is on a grand scale. The way Spielberg moves the camera is so unique and stylistic.
And of course the score by John Williams.....and the print I saw was super sharp. And I think the sound was Kodak Prestripe!

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted May 30, 2008 12:47 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,

I have asked this in other post bot no answer received probably since this post is more attractive.

My question is, did you see that the final print has greenish tone? I saw it here, and I wonder if this is only at Indonesia's prints or also happen in your theatre.

The greenish look especially during the daylight scenes.

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 30, 2008 03:54 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My question is, did you see that the final print has greenish tone?
The Nevada-scenes have been terrible (visible pixels, persons having the typical "tv signal isn't clear"-shadow, colours looked strange incl. being greenish or reddish, ...). The remaining film was okay. In other words: At least the German print I was seeing wasn't completely greenish. So it sounds like this could be a problem with "your" single print. Maybe you should check by visiting another cinema? [Wink]

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC