8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » I can't put the title on this one....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I can't put the title on this one....
Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 22, 2008 03:07 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am generally not much for low, rude humor, but this one just killed me:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/this-britain/shitterton-the-village-that-dare-not-speak-its-name-831420.html

There's just something so terrifically English about this....the part where the writer comments that the local accent just makes the pronounciation even more...well, you know.

Hope this doesn't upset our mods. I just laughed out loud when I saw it.

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

|  IP: Logged

Jan Bister
Darth 8mm

- posted May 22, 2008 03:30 PM      Profile for Jan Bister   Email Jan Bister   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love it.

[Big Grin]

When I came to reading the "the stream that bisects the village – and was once presumably a cascading torrent of shit" part, that's when I lost it.

[Cool]

--------------------
Call me Phoenix. *dusts off the ashes*

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted May 22, 2008 04:03 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A long time ago my parents knew a family named "Schitty"

-pronounced exactly the way you wouldn't want it to be.

After less than a full generation living in an English speaking country, they had it legally changed to "Schuette".

-pronounced "Shoe-ett" ( tres Francais, no?)

The guys at the front desk on Ellis Island must have been rolling on the floor when this bunch showed up!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 22, 2008 06:00 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ya know, gosh dang it, if Thomas Crapper developed the toilet, then I think it's perfectly fine for the UK to have a town called Shitterton.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted May 23, 2008 05:19 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've just asked the AA for a route from my home and the answer was "end location not found."

However, the RAC (Royal Automobile Club) happily told me it was 79 miles and would take me 2 hours and 1 minute, but if I was lucky with traffic only 1 hour 49 minutes.

Should I visit? Who wants to buy a place-name?

--------------------
Maurice

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC