8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » USPS (Large Envelope) economical and QUICK!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: USPS (Large Envelope) economical and QUICK!
Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted June 04, 2008 04:15 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After using the Royal Mail (small packet) from UK to Indonesia, I tried to order movies from the US to Indonesia. I was looking for the most economical way, and found from http://ircalc.usps.gov/ that USPS Priority Mail® International Flat-Rate Envelope is quiete reliable and economical. It says; "Priority Mail International is a reliable, cost-effective way to send documents and merchandise to over 190 countries"

They have a flatrate of $11.95 worldwide for max. 4 lbs.

I used this service and it took only 10 days from New Jersey to Jakarta.

Different with the Royal Mail, USPS requires senders using their pre-paid envelope and will not allow us to use box (please correct me if I am wrong). Their envelope is made from hard board but the size is 12.5" x 9.5".

So by this design it is imposible to send Vinyl Records. While for super 8mm films it can cater only max. of 3 x 400" although the weight is far under 4 lbs. If we put 4 x 400" the envelope will not be able to be closed.

I would say that 6 x 200" will still be able inside the envelop, but haven't tried it yet.

Only if the USPS allow us to use our personal box, it will make the service more attracting and reliable.

Joe Traffis, knowing you used to work at the USPS, any idea if we use our box for this service?

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

|  IP: Logged

Roy Neil
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 04, 2008 06:04 AM      Profile for Roy Neil   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When sending film Internationally from the US, I have found that MBAG is very reasonable especially for heavy parcels. Not many people know about it, but this is the equivalent of International Media Mail as only certain items ( like film ) are accepted.

USPS MBAG INFO

Parcels weighing less than 11 pounds are charged at the 11 pound rate so Priority Mail sounds cheaper for packages 4 pounds and less. 11 pounds from California to Great Britain is approximately $33 MBAG rate. Another requirement is that the parcel(s) fit within a nylon Mail Bag ( MBAG ) which is supplied by the Post Office. The bag is large enough to easily accomodate a 12" x 12" x 10" box.

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 04, 2008 04:44 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert, I still work for the USPS, and inquired today about the flat rate International Priority service you mentioned, and yes, you do have to use the materials provided by the USPS for that service, and not your own packaging.

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted June 05, 2008 09:35 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,

I tried using my ex USPS Priority Mail® International Flat-Rate Envelope to ut 6 x 200" and it's fit. In fact, we can put 2 more reels to make it 8 x 200" but how we place them inside the envelope is a tricky way. It has to be 3 reels side by side to take the 12.5" length and 1 reel respectevely on the top and bottom of the stack.

Envelop can be closed nicely and the weigh is surely far under 4 lbs.

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC