8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Music From The Movies

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Music From The Movies
Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted June 06, 2008 07:13 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have always been a fan of film music and remember seeing a film long ago which really impressed me and that was "The Trap" back in the 60s, the music at the opening of the film by Ron Goodwin stuck in my mind and during those summer holidays saved up enough to go the to the record store and by it on 45, played it time and time again thought it was great still do. looking through a CD store lately I was disapointed at the choice so went to an old junk store and found there was thousands of old records only $1 each, many I guess never made it to CD most were in very good condition what I did like was the sleeves the records were in, anyaway here are a couple of photos of some of those covers.
 -
I remember reading somewhere that Steven Spielberg was a great fan of not just this film but the music as well and in his younger days bought the record and played the music many times over.
 -
who can remember this movie? I always thought it was an unusual film but very well done and the music by Neil Diamond was very good I dont think the critics liked it, the cinema where I watched it is now closed down sitting empty, shame.
 -
at the junk store I picked up South Pacific the difference with this record compared with the ones I had seen before this LP had a 10 pages in its fold out cover with photos and write up of the film, here are a couple more from South Pacific.
 -
 -
the last photo is from the number "There Is Nothin Like a Dame" which is also available from Derann as Scope 200 footer an excellent colour print, well thats just a glimpse of what records are available, I will have to buy a better record player as there so much out there.

Graham.

|  IP: Logged

Patrick Walsh
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 06, 2008 07:59 PM      Profile for Patrick Walsh   Email Patrick Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Graham
I have been myself scouring the SUPERSHEAD and other junk shops buying up movie records, just got THE DEEP, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA and SUPERMAN II, there are great deals to be had!
Pat [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Raise The Titanic!", It would of been cheaper to lower the Atlantic!

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted June 07, 2008 05:07 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Pat
I agree there is a lot of good film music around its also the way that LPs were presented in there covers I will keep an eye out for some more, it wasent so long ago that people were throwing out boxes and boxes of there old records in place of CDs. I think things are swinging back in favour of records, the thing is its the only place to hear much of the music that was available back then but never crossed over to the CD market for whatever reason.

Regarding the 200ft Scope reel of "South Pacific" I forgot to mention that the number "There Is Nothin Like a Dame" is not complete the part with stew pot "the big guy" right at the end is missing, however this reel does includes "Honey Bun" as well, and the print has great colour well worth getting if you are a fan of the movie.

PS. Derann has spelt it "There's Nothing like a Dame" where it should be "There Is Nothin' Like a Dame"... being picky eh [Big Grin]

Graham. [Smile]

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted June 08, 2008 10:03 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ron Goodwin, Battle of Britain score among many others, oh and born here in Plymouth, 1925
[Wink]

Andrew Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 08, 2008 03:32 PM      Profile for Andrew Wilson   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post 
I too am a fan of film soundtracks.I have quite a few on the various formats mostly LP,S & Mini Discs.I sold all of the CD soundtracks due to poor pressings...ie COMPRESSED!.
Tom;I think Ron Goodwin is sadly no longer with us;one of the best british film composers...Andy.

Patrick Walsh
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 09, 2008 03:41 AM      Profile for Patrick Walsh   Email Patrick Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
on CD the latest title I brought off amazon is JOHN BARRY's RAISE THE TITANIC the complete film score and Silvascren's DISASTER MOVIES THEMES has some great music from TOWERING INFERNO and POSEIDON ADVENTURE.
Pat

--------------------
"Raise The Titanic!", It would of been cheaper to lower the Atlantic!

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted June 09, 2008 02:33 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I feel an idea for the Mag (FFTC)coming on here,

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 09, 2008 07:53 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love film music. So much good stuff never gets heard by 'the general public' because so few people even consider buying the original score from a film (as opposed to the 'piles of hits inspired by...' albums that have nothing to do with the film.)

Here is one score that lived a quiet life after the film came out:

-

A nice wistful score by Peter Schickele, with the two songs by Joan Baez...very much 'of the period' but nice listening from time to time. It captures the spirit of the film well.

Of course, then there are 'the boys' [Smile] :

-

Songs from "Way Out West" and others....priceless.

And from great bombs, sometimes wonderful music comes:

-

If you like Western-tinged, old-fashioned waltzes and ballads, these instrumentals are lovely listening, played beautifully by David Mansfield.

I bought this album prior to the disastrous premiere of the film, and the record vanished almost as fast as the film. It is now available on CD, though.

Carmine Coppola's score from Abel Gance's 'Napoleon'...I could go on.. [Big Grin]

Best,
Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Douglas Meltzer

- posted June 09, 2008 11:01 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of my favorite scores, composed by the brilliant John Addison who also did "Tom Jones" and "Sleuth":

-

Claus, Carmine Coppola's "Napoleon" is also one of my favorites.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 10, 2008 10:32 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of film scores, I was watching a mid seventies western starring Richard Harris, entitled, "The Deadly Trackers", a very bloody film, (but then Richard Harris's roles have tended towards the very very harsh and dramatic), and this was released by Warners Brothers.

What intrigued me was that almost all the soundtrack I instantly recognized from a classic western film, "The Wild Bunch" (Sam Peckinpah), which was also a Warners movie ...

What also intrigued me was that a little even seemed to have been lifted from a John Wayne movie, "Big Jake". I was fascinated that nearly the whole soundtrack was from other westerns. I'm betting back then that copyright laws on soundtracks or even the regular use of soundtracks from other sources was commonplace until the modern copyrights were enforced.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 11, 2008 10:27 AM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As Graham mentioned, the cover art of soundtrack LPs just was represented so much better than on little CD cases. Here's one I like:

-

Pretty dramatic painting, replicated in full in wide-screen on the back cover:

-

...on a CD case, you'd need a loupe [Big Grin]

Good score from this big-budget flop by Brazillian composer Bernardo Segall, starring our late, lamented Robert Shaw as Custer.

Ron Goodwin got mentioned along the way; here's Sir Malcolm Arnold, another one of the good ones. He had a great sense of whimsy about his music.
The irony of 'Kwai' was that the best known piece in the score, the march, was written by Kenneth Alford in about 1914, and thus not Arnold's work at all:

-

And Doug, yes, the 'Napoleon' score I'll always enjoy, having seen/heard Carmine Coppola conduct it here at the Kennedy Center in Washington DC when the first major restoration of the film was re-premiered. One of the cinema moments I'll always cherish.

Best,
Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted June 12, 2008 05:24 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doug and Claus
Those are marvellous covers I would imagine many sound track LPs would be getting rare.

Regarding Ron Goodwin he did a number of tours out here with the New Zealand Symphony Orchestra during the 70s and early 80s and apart from his well known music from the movies Ron Goodwin became very popular when he wrote the "The Earnslaw Steam Theme" after spending the day with the engineer on the "T.S.S. Earnslaw" that sails here in the South Island on Lake Wakatipu. The music was used on his tour and was included in the EMI album "Going Places", such was his popularity that when in the early 80s he returned to tour NZ, again with the New Zealand Symphony that all his concerts were sold out many in advance, this time along with his very popular "Earnslaw" theme Ron had wrote "The New Zealand Suite" he captured the feeling of NZ with numbers like Aotearoa "The Land of the Long White Cloud" EMI released this album in 1983. One would hope that Ron Goodwin is not just remembered for his film music but also for his other work as well.
 -
"Going Places" EMI 1978 with a picture of the steamship "T.S.S. Earnslaw" which sails along the 50 mile fresh water Lake Wakatipu.
 -
Back to the movies, [Smile] another LP cover, well its been a most interesting topic and enjoyed everyones photos and views.

Graham.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC