8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » 3D-Journey to the Center of the Earth

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 3D-Journey to the Center of the Earth
Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted July 27, 2008 01:36 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We all went to see 'Journey to the Center of the Earth -3D' yesterday, and I must say that we all thoght it was great. This film is in Digital 3-D and I must say that I was knocked out by the 3-D image. Every shot in the film is absolutely flawless 3D, and some scenes cause you to jerk in your seat as man eating plants and fish come flying at you! The scenes at the center of the earth are just awesome, I have NEVER seen 3D like this before. You can move your head or tilt your head, and the 3D is unaffected. This new system is so good, there is no eye strain at all and you soon forget about the glasses, that I think all films may be 3D in the near future.
This film is a must see for all film techno-buffs. Unfortunately, it makes my S8 anaglyphic 3D print of 'Creature from the Black Lagoon' look pretty primitive! [Big Grin]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_D_Cinema

http://www.journey3dmovie.com/

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

|  IP: Logged

Edouard Dubertret
Film Handler

- posted July 27, 2008 03:13 PM      Profile for Edouard Dubertret     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it will be the next film that I will see in cinema. I saw a report few days ago on tv and it looks great!! But apparently just some cinema play it with the 3d effect.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted July 27, 2008 03:58 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Edouard, make sure you see the 3D version. The film itself is not that great, there are much better screen versions of 'Journey' out there, such as the 1950's version with James Mason and Arlene Dahl and Pat Boone. No, the star of this film is the Real D -3D process. It is simply amazing, and when you see it you get the distinct feeling that you are looking at the future of cinema.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 27, 2008 05:09 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do want to see this, but I'll wait until it's released in 3D
on DVD (Like they did with the "Shark Boy and Lava Girl" movie)!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted July 27, 2008 06:15 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We were talking about this at work the other day as one of the biggest cinemas here is looking into it. I understand its very expensive to install, is it possible that older movies such as Star Wars 1977 to be re-released this way?.

Graham. [Smile]

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted July 27, 2008 06:19 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, how did that work? Did you have to use the red/green glasses to view the film?

Here is a great explanation of the Real D 3D process:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disney_Digital_3-D

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 27, 2008 08:55 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul,

Yeah, Shark Boy and L:ava Girl was red green, if I remember correctly. I prefer the Polarized glasses 3D.

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted July 28, 2008 12:27 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looking at those sites the choice of films is fairly limited. I ran "Shark Boy and Lava Girl" when it was released the down side to this old method is light you need lots and lots of it, also the projectionist has to make sure his focus is spot on before the 3D effects takes place otherwise it will not look that good, my wife cant watch it gives her headaces, also I heard a sad case of a young boy coming out after a 3D presentation saying it did not work for him turned out he had a problem with his eyesight. I hope the much improved new 3D process is going to be a success however the films have to be worth going to in the first place story wise etc and not just for the 3D effects alone.

Graham.

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 28, 2008 12:31 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I too look forward to it for the 3-D, it has been panned by the critics however. The original 1959 version is simply the best.

Many 3-D films are in planning and production, but the holy grail will need to make it into the marketplace before all films will be in 3-D;. That is 3-D without glasses.

There is at least one process that delivers this but they have yet to reach a full-on production deal. I love 3-D but most of the market place will get tired of the glasses and lame story lines again like they did in the 50's and 80's.

Digital 3-D is good; IMAX 3-D is the best. You just can't pass up high resolution (2k vs around 10k).

David

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 28, 2008 07:17 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 1959 version will probably always be the best one, but this one knows that it's playing itself as a thrill ride, and it delivers on that promise, which is all we were really looking for.

--------------------

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted July 28, 2008 09:20 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How right you are Osi. Plot and character developement are almost non existant in this film. As you say, it is more like going to Disney World or Universal Studios than seeing a movie. But it is one hell of a fun ride!

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 29, 2008 03:40 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did this use the LCD glasses or the polarized method? At the Imax here (Waterloo) they use the polarized glasses which is a bit of a shame but it's still very good. Saw the last Superman film that way but it would have been far more impactive still with the proper LCD glasses.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 29, 2008 07:18 AM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John, over the years I've seen a number of short films in the IMAX and thought it was stunning. One cartoon springs to mind where you could almost touch these bubbles floating in front of you. I havent seen anything old there although I would add that the modern stuff probably has better 3d for this polarized version. Was superman shot this way or did it use a different 3d system and has been digitally changed for the Imax 3d.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted July 29, 2008 10:16 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the 1959 version is far superior, but the new film is (as previously stated) a ton of fun. Brendan Fraser has to be the reigning king of greenscreen. He's as good as Kerwin Matthews (Sinbad) in sharing a screen with something that's not really there.

The 3-D effects are just great (even in the end credits). Any reason to see this film in a standard presentation? Nope.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted July 29, 2008 10:16 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John, the film uses polarized glasses, but the lenses are circular polarized not linearly polarized as in the 50's 3D films. This means you can tilt your head in any direction, or any viewing angle, and still get a flawless 3D effect. There is absolutely no ghosting of the image at all, and no headaches either! Also the left and right images on the screen are flashed sequentially 144 times per second. So each individual left and right frame is presented 3 times. This is also different from the old 3D film system where both the left and right image were projected on the screen at the same time, using two film projectors.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 29, 2008 11:21 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kerwin Mathews Indeed! What about that illustrious fine actor of the silver screen, Doug McClure, star of such intellectually stimulating films such as :

Land That Time Forgot
People That Time Forgot
At The Earth's Core
Warlords of Atlantis
Humanoids From The Deep ...

All made within a short five years of each other!

Now, there's somne fine bluescreen acting!!

--------------------

Paul Tivy
Film Handler

- posted July 30, 2008 12:13 AM      Profile for Paul Tivy   Email Paul Tivy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw this flat in Edinburgh while there on holiday a couple of weeks ago. When I came back to Colchester I was stunned to find that our local Odeon had installed the Real D system in March and was showing the film that week. I went to see it again and I must say I was impressed with the 3D. I wouldn't say there was no ghosting at all - it shows up as a faint blue haze on some of the extreme hypostereoscopic shots. But having said that, you'd have to be looking for it to notice it. Incidentally, Shark Boy And Lava Girl was also released on DVD by the Sensio company in both their own process and field sequential stereo. I have the Sensio version and it's far superior to what was shown in the cinema.

Best wishes,

Tiv

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC