8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » How The West Was Won (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: How The West Was Won
Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted September 19, 2008 05:59 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just purchased the new 3 disc DVD of 'How The West Was Won'. This was filmed in the Cinerama 3-camera process and disc 3 is a fascinating 2 hour documentary on everything you could ever want to know about Cinerama. It includes that great opening by Lowell Thomas - " Now this is Cinerama!" followed by that rollercoaster ride . The film includes lots of shots from all the Cinerama films, all presented in the 'Smilebox' process which gives the illusion of watching a deeply curved screen. HTW3 itself is presented in a superwidescreen format of 2.9:1. It looks very impresssive indeed when projected on a 10ft screen. Warner Bros. have done an incredible restoration job, digitally removing the two join lines and 'jiggles' between the 3 picture panels. Worth buying just for the disc 3 feature alone.

-

I never saw Cinerama. The closest thing I have seen to it is the 16 projector 'Circlevision' system at Disney in Orlando, which is pretty amazing to see.

[ September 20, 2008, 01:03 PM: Message edited by: Paul Adsett ]

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 19, 2008 06:11 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
PAUL!!

I just ordered this new edition and I am really looking forward to checking this out on either my TV or projection TV unit.

I have the laserdisc deluxe edition from the early 1990's and it has those dreadful "lines' in the image, a dreadful site.

Also, this is the first edition that utilized the full 6 channel
surround sound. It was stated at the time, (it might be in the documentary) that they would actually mix the surround mix on how full the audience was and WHERE they were sitting. Talk about showmanship!!!

Is there anyway you can post a still from this film?

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 19, 2008 06:42 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi,

Take a look here:

http://www.videoasylum.com/films/messages/6/63904.html

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 19, 2008 08:37 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Grrreat screenshot!!

I can hardly wait!!

--------------------

Robert Wales
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 19, 2008 10:00 PM      Profile for Robert Wales   Email Robert Wales   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can still see Cinerama if you know where to look. The Arclight ( which is part of the Cinerama Dome complex in Los Angeles) has had several screenings in the Dome over the years with a new print struck by MGM. I saw it there about 5 years ago and before that at the Cinerama Theatre in Seattle during the Seattle Film Festival. After the Dome screening I attended they opened up the booths and allowed the curious to come through and see the equipment and talk to the operators.

They just ran it a week or so ago on the day before the new DVD and Blu-Ray were released. The first 100 customers received a free copy of the Blu-Ray version with their admission. The Blu-Ray edition is not only one of the most beautiful discs ever released of a classic or contemporary title, it also includes a complete 'smilebox' version of the film on a 2nd disc designed to simulate the original Cinerama experience. ( The 'smilebox' concept is also used in the Cinerama documentary included on both the standard and Blu-Ray discs. ) Sounds kind of goofy but it's my preferred way to experience this film at home since it reminds me of the two theatrical experiences I had. I can't recommend enough seeing the film in true Cinerama if you can ever make the trip.

[ September 20, 2008, 09:49 AM: Message edited by: Robert Wales ]

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 20, 2008 02:42 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This comes out on R2 on the 29th of September, and it's even cheaper than the R1 counterpart (on Play.com anyway). I'm really looking forward to this one.

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 20, 2008 03:37 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally I'd prefer to have the 'dreadful' join lines on the screen. That was all part of Cinerama. It would also then be possible to run three copies of the disc on three video projectors... well, you get the idea!

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Robert Wales
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 20, 2008 09:47 AM      Profile for Robert Wales   Email Robert Wales   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can still see some evidence of the join lines in quite a few scenes on the new DVD
although in the majority of places they have been almost completely eliminated. It's kind of a nice compromise to my mind - they pop up often enough to remind you that you are watching a Cinerama film but are not so intrusive that you are constantly taken out of the story.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 20, 2008 09:59 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John,
your not alone in your feelings about the join lines. I've read a number of posts concerning that very point. It's more about the nolstalgia and having seen it in the theater originally.You didn't have to be in your fifties or older to have seen this on it's original run, as this is still shown in theaters in a limited run.

The only other thing that I hope that they have corrected, no doubt digitally was not only the join lines but the overly "skewed perspective" (that's what I'll have to call it), at those join lines, which were always a little off.

That documentary is much anticipated. I have a question for Paul and any others that already own this film. Has HTWWW been edited for content?

I saw one person on a review section saying that nearly all of the Gregory Peck section of the film was completely edited out, except for him showing up in the "locket" near the end of the movie. maybe that reviewer was speaking of another version of the film?

--------------------

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted September 20, 2008 12:49 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, the new DVD version is absolutely complete. It comes on two discs so video compression has been minimized.Greg Peck stars in a big part of the film. I can also confirm what Robert has said about the join lines. They are largely invisible, but sometimes become apparent particularly on sky scenes. Also there is sometimes some mismatch of color between the 3 panels. So you are pretty aware that this is a Cinerama print, but hats off to Warners for a wonderful job, making it look truly spectacular. The 3rd disc Cinerama documentary is great and includes an awful lot of technical and historical information on the process, and how it spawned Todd AO and CinemaScope.

-

The DVD is definately a 'must have' for all us cinema buffs. I got my copy at Wal-Mart for $14.95! What a deal for a 3-disc special edition.
Incidentally, did'nt someone demonstrate 8mm Cinerama a few years back?

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted September 20, 2008 04:08 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My Dad took me to Asbury Park's Paramount Theatre in 1963 to see this film in it's full Cineramic glory, I remember it was booming and beautiful and received my earliest education on westerns, its lore and the appreciation of the genre which lasts to this day - Shorty

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 21, 2008 12:42 AM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We got to see this about 4 years ago at Arclight. There is nothing to compare with this, though the effect can be lost on people who are visually unobservant. What I'm talking about is the super wide panoramic field of view -- the picture's not much wider than scope, but it sure functions differently. Also nothing looks sharper except Imax, as you might expect from the amount of picture surface area.

I was disappointed that the recent HWWW show was on a Sunday morning. We won't skip church for a movie. Had it been Saturday, we'd have been there.

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 21, 2008 07:19 AM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our local newspaper came out on tuesday with a write up on this release Warner said it would not do anymore of these restorations because it was to time consuming to justify the price.
http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle/28008789.html

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 21, 2008 01:43 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's a load of hogwash, (not your post, but the studio's response), but it also shows that the shortsightedness of the Hollywood past isn't dead today.

Old Hollywood saw little use of thier films except for an occasional re-issue, and so they didn't take care of much of thier heritage.

Whoever the bozo was who issued that statement from the studio had absolutely no idea of how this will affect issue after re-issue. The more they restore the films, the more resale that they will have and therefore, more profitability.

I hope that idiot gets fired!

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted September 21, 2008 06:08 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paul
I was reading an article from a Movie Maker magazine regarding 8mm Cinerama there were photos of the projectors and screen I will post them for you here but wont have time to copy them until next week.

Also regarding Cinerama if you can track down a VHS copy of "A Skeleton In Your Lap!" it includes a chap in the USA who converted his house to include the three 35mm projectors and runs Cinerama in his home. I think two of the machines are in his kitchen "fasinating stuff"

I have never seen Cinerama but there was a Cinerama cinema here years ago sadly long gone but I did go and watch the 70mm prints they ran, this was back in the 70s one night the manager showed me around and was surprised that this huge screen was made up of 1/2 inch wide strips from top to bottom also had a good chat to the projectionist that night. I think it was "Magnificent Men In their Flying Machines" in 70mm and was a good 5 or minutes or more late starting thanks to me yacking. The Cinerama cinema like many others were not to survive for much longer during those times "pity"

Graham.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 22, 2008 08:11 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just got this film today! What a great improvement on the original. This is wider "letterbox" than the average widescreen DVD, but not by too much. The soundtrack sound really great in surround sound! They did thier best to re-create that surround sound effect of the original, (lost on all the other releases).

All those neat extras like the color "Lobby cards" are quite nice. they did a good job on this release!

--------------------

David Park
Master Film Handler

- posted September 24, 2008 10:09 AM      Profile for David Park   Email David Park   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How the West Was Won is regulary shown at the March Wide Screen Event at the Pictureville Bradford West Yorkshire in 3 lens Cinerama.
I knew this restoration was on its way but would personaly have preffered it not to be in Smile. Hope a choice might follow.

--------------------
Regards,
David

Robert Wales
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 25, 2008 09:29 PM      Profile for Robert Wales   Email Robert Wales   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David, the smilebox version is only available as an extra feature with the 2-disc blu-ray version, which ALSO includes the regular widescreen restoration on a separate disc.
The standard DVD only includes the restored widescreen version and no smilebox, so whatever you buy you'll get the non-smilebox version you want, plus the great documentary.

David Park
Master Film Handler

- posted September 26, 2008 01:23 AM      Profile for David Park   Email David Park   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good to hear, for me at least.
I had miss read the first post, sorry.
I and others had been asked our oppion on the format/Smile and the majority with me had said 'normal' preffered. I look forward to my purchase of the restored DVD.
I do believe many of the old 70mm films will be restored too, seems if the orginals not restored soon they will be lost for ever. I'm looking forward to seeing the restored 70mm 'The Bible in the beginning' next March on the Deep curved Cinerama screen. This is hoped for the WideScreen weekend at the Pictureville.

--------------------
Regards,
David

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 26, 2008 01:19 PM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just ordered my R2 copy; an unbelievable GBP 9.99 INCLUDING delivery!

martin

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 26, 2008 05:02 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Im sure ive seen copies on the net which are 'Two disc'. Im sure that the Two disc version would be the R2 and the Three disc R1.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted September 26, 2008 11:29 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paul
Following text is taken from "Movie Maker"

Cinerama type presentation at Widex-70

Take three Quartz cameras, hook them together and fit them to a baseboard. Take three inexpensive Magnon projectors and devise for them a synchronised power unit. Build yourself a massive curved screen-32ft wide and find yourself some place like the North Peckham Civic Centre where there's room to erect it.
 -

-

-

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted September 27, 2008 08:33 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow Graham, that's incredible! I wonder how well it worked. Well how about it Keith and John - Cinerama at the next BFCC? [Big Grin]

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 27, 2008 10:45 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Region 2 I have just ordered is described as "3 Disc"
Martin

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 29, 2008 03:06 PM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Region 2 release IS THREE discs. I received mine this morning and the quality and content is superb. a definate bargain for £9.99. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC