8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Charlie Chaplin

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Charlie Chaplin
Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted September 27, 2008 09:04 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This story made me [Smile] Charlie Chaplin once entered a Charlie Chaplin lookalike contest........and came third!... [Roll Eyes]

-
[Smile]

|  IP: Logged

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted August 09, 2009 11:25 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Was watching some old Charlie Chaplin Walton Super8 films the other night such as "Easy Street" etc its a real joy to watch some of those old films.

On the DVD side of things "Image Entertainment" Region one NTSC have released a number of his films over the years of excellent quality from Charles Chaplin's personal archives, such as City Lights, Modern Times, The Kid, and also A First National Collection which includes Shoulder Arms and a very funny A Days Pleasure.
 -
Queuing up for "City Lights" I guess around 1931-32.

Do you have a favourite Charlie Chaplin film?

Yanis Tzortzis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 10, 2009 07:47 PM      Profile for Yanis Tzortzis   Author's Homepage   Email Yanis Tzortzis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's definitely 'Modern Times' for me...
...shame the new material discovered recently (eg colour out-takes during the 'Dictator' shootings) will never be released on film... [Frown]

--------------------
Yannis

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 11, 2009 10:54 AM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's either "Modern Times" or "The Gold Rush" for me.

Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted August 11, 2009 02:03 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Though the shorts are my absolute favorites, "City Lights" is my favorite feature, with "The Great Dictator" coming in second. A distant third, however, is "Limelight". Its slow going in some ways, but I see it as a very personal film of Charlies.

He knows that he, along with his character on screen, is past
his prime, and he wants to go out in style. The tragic clown, desperate for love ... and just one more laugh.

There are some very good paralels between Chaplin's "Limelight"
and Laurence Oliviers, "The Entertainer".

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Tony Stucchio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 11, 2009 06:23 PM      Profile for Tony Stucchio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For me, the 12 Mutuals are Chaplin at his finest. My favorite is probably THE CURE.

I do love CITY LIGHTS very much, too.

Yanis Tzortzis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 11, 2009 07:33 PM      Profile for Yanis Tzortzis   Author's Homepage   Email Yanis Tzortzis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
.......speaking of shorts,I think he's at his best in 'The adventurer'-my favourite of all of them...

--------------------
Yannis

Mike Tynus
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 11, 2009 08:15 PM      Profile for Mike Tynus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite Mutual is THE RINK. It is also a precursor to the brilliant skating sequence in my favorite feature MODERN TIMES.
The Van Buren tracks added to these films often get a bad rap, but I just love 'em and am glad Blackhawk restored these prints with the music and effects (and yes, even the "Fire!" guy).

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC