8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Upset at EBAY rules

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Upset at EBAY rules
Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted October 27, 2008 12:18 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Money Orders, standard everyday run-of-the-mill US postal orders emanating from anywhere in the continental (whatever that means) USA, have all but been declared null & void in payment towards an EBAY auction. I ALWAYS pay with a money order; convenient, easy-to-cash, quicker than either PayPal or a check. Like I mentioned here many times, when and if that ruling goes into effect and certain films I want are appearing, I'm stymied and no longer able to bid - No, I will not adopt PayPal,a s I won't have personla information (accounts, etc.) be made known to whomever and I don't use a checkbook - So, in the words of the carpenter who was 100 stories high atop a skyscraper with only a hammer, 'I'm Screwed' - This infuriates me to no end, as I'm no longer allowed, per se to bid - I doubt if I will even stay on many of these forums anymore. Unless change, that's that - Shorty

|  IP: Logged

John W. Black
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 27, 2008 12:29 PM      Profile for John W. Black   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't worry.The reason they push Paypal is because Ebay owns Paypal.But you'll find that too many people don't want to use it.If Ebay adopted a Paypal only rule,they would lose much income.And in the end,it's all about money to them.I still like my idea of an auction thread here.

--------------------
Beat em or burn em,they go up pretty quick

Chip Carpenter
Film Handler

- posted October 27, 2008 12:54 PM      Profile for Chip Carpenter   Email Chip Carpenter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John -

I know this would be a pain, but you do have some options if you're worried about the security associated with PayPal:

1- Open a dedicated checking account and link it to PayPal and only use it for these transactions.

2- I opened my paypal years ago, so I don't know if you can still do this, but you may be able open one without linking to a bank account. This is a little more difficult, because you can't add funds directly, but you could either add funds via ebay sales, or if you had a friend with an account, they could add the funds for you . . .

Hope that helps,
Chip

--------------------
Elmo ST-1200HD M with the Elmo 1.1 Lens and a Chinon 2500GL

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 27, 2008 02:59 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is assinine Joe!

I prefer paypal, but the option of money orders SHOULD still be there. I have dealt with a lot of people who feel as you do, and they will only py with money order. It may take a little longer and you always have the fear that the dingbats at the post office might lose the money orders in the mail, but 9.5 times out of 10, they get there. I only had one money order come up missing, and that was for an auction in the UK. Since that time on, I only use paypal for overseas.

I think that there's another reason for a potenial ruling like this. If a person pays through money order and not paypal, Ebay/paypal does not get thier "cut" when the payment is made, sometimes being a rather large cut if the auction is sellign for a lot of money!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted October 27, 2008 04:12 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree. I feel that Ebay did this to increase their Paypal commissions which they really want on large ticket items. Its such a greedy move I wish that there was an Ebay alternative. Unfortunately right now there is not. I know that there are smaller auction sites but if you have a rare item Ebay is the only way to really show the rest of the world what you have. Ebay only failed in one country that I know of...Japan. There the king of Auction sites is Yahoo Auctions.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted October 27, 2008 05:23 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
they push Paypal is because Ebay owns Paypal.But you'll find that too many people don't want to use it.
If this is the case, cannot this be brought to the court based on anti-monopoly law or anti-trust?

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Chip Carpenter
Film Handler

- posted October 28, 2008 02:44 AM      Profile for Chip Carpenter   Email Chip Carpenter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If this is the case, cannot this be brought to the court based on anti-monopoly law or anti-trust?

Probably not - their new plan still allows for other electronic payment option, but it's not a wide open field. Their claim is that their doing it to cut down on fraud and improve user experience . . .

Chip

--------------------
Elmo ST-1200HD M with the Elmo 1.1 Lens and a Chinon 2500GL

John W. Black
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 30, 2008 12:27 AM      Profile for John W. Black   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It will only bite them on the butt.There is still too many people like me who do NOT want any of our bank or credit info online.That is our right and I think Ebay will be challenged legally on this point.By the way,many listings still say they take money orders

--------------------
Beat em or burn em,they go up pretty quick

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC