8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » RKO Trademark

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: RKO Trademark
Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted November 22, 2008 02:49 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did the morse-code which accompanied the RKO trademark actually mean anything?

--------------------
Maurice

|  IP: Logged

Robert Holt
Junior

- posted November 22, 2008 03:19 PM      Profile for Robert Holt   Email Robert Holt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Apparantly VVVV AN RKO RADIO PICTURE VVVV RKO info site

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted November 22, 2008 05:07 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always thought the RKO logo was real cool. To me, it usually signifies the start of some of the best films in Hollywood history.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 22, 2008 05:26 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Was RKO's logo the first "animated" logo, or was Twentieth Century
Foxes the first?

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Robert Holt
Junior

- posted November 22, 2008 06:35 PM      Profile for Robert Holt   Email Robert Holt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe Twentieth Century Fox came in 1935 .
RKO was 1929.
French company Gaumant is credited as the first film production company .
It's logo (1895) , while not animated,contained a representation of a marguerite daisy .
Marguerite was the name of Léon Gaumont's mother.

Please correct me if this proves inaccurate .
Thank you.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted November 23, 2008 03:37 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robert

Thanks for the answer. The RKO site is interesting.

I assume that the earlier "A RADIO PICTURE" also transmitted this slightly different name in the morse code although this is not mentioned.

--------------------
Maurice

Hugh McCullough
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 23, 2008 05:38 AM      Profile for Hugh McCullough   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A .-
R .-.
A .-
D -..
I ..
O ---
P .--.
I ..
C -.-.
T -
U ..-
R .-.
E .

--------------------
EIKI Ex 6100 xenon machine.

Chip Carpenter
Film Handler

- posted November 25, 2008 09:16 AM      Profile for Chip Carpenter   Email Chip Carpenter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know why - but for some reason, I don't find it surprising that those who collect Super 8 movies in 2008 are also likely to know Morse . . .

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
Elmo ST-1200HD M with the Elmo 1.1 Lens and a Chinon 2500GL

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 25, 2008 09:57 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
H
E
L
P

M
E
!
!

--------------------

Mitchell Dvoskin
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 25, 2008 01:14 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
RKO is still in business as a licensing and production company, primarily for remakes of old RKO titles. Their official web site is RKO.COM. They are a direct successor/continuation of RKO Radio Pictures.

Hugh McCullough
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 26, 2008 04:57 PM      Profile for Hugh McCullough   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chip.

I have only recently started to collect Super 8mm films. I am really a 16mm person, but I know Morse code as I trained as a Merchant Marine Radio Officer many years ago.
The RKO Logo is one of the few pieces of film where you can hear Morse Code keyed correctly.
When used in most films it is usually just an incomprehensible jumble.

Hugh.

--------------------
EIKI Ex 6100 xenon machine.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 26, 2008 05:39 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
By the way, concerning RKO logo's, on the beginning of my print of "Pearl of the South Pacific" it has the original RKO logo with the addition of "In Suprascope" on the bottom. The film is in color and the logo is in a nice sepia tone.

... and, at the end, the ending RKO emblem is like a family crest!

--------------------

Bradford A Moore
Master Film Handler

- posted November 26, 2008 08:25 PM      Profile for Bradford A Moore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Universal had a animated logo in 1927, which can be seen in the beginning of the Cat and The Canary.

Chip Carpenter
Film Handler

- posted November 27, 2008 11:06 AM      Profile for Chip Carpenter   Email Chip Carpenter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hugh -

Fully understand [Smile]

I'm a former US Navy Officer and while my morse is exceptionally rusty - I would be challenged to get out an SOS now [Eek!] I always find it funny to read signal flags when hoisted - if you don't keep an eye on your signalmen, they will hoist something rather embarrassing. Of course, this why their is an official, specified pattern that is supposed to be used, but you'd be surprised how often that rule gets violated. [Cool]

Chip

--------------------
Elmo ST-1200HD M with the Elmo 1.1 Lens and a Chinon 2500GL

Robert Holt
Junior

- posted November 27, 2008 10:48 PM      Profile for Robert Holt   Email Robert Holt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I gather there was an even earlier animated Universal Pictures logo from 1922 - 1926
A biplane flying around the rotating globe and leaving a trail of smoke behind it, and the smoke forms the words "UNIVERSAL PICTURES".

Interesting site with all this logo info and more , HERE

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC