8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » First Feature Film? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: First Feature Film?
Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 07, 2008 05:23 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now here's a new? topic. What was the first Feature Film you can ever remember seeing? Yes, it's a memory thing... go right the way back as far as you can and come up with the VERY FIRST FILM YOU EVER SAW!
Mine takes me back to Lightwater and the Second World War; a mobile film unit came to our primary school (the school is still there in Catena Rise) and showed "SANDERS OF THE RIVER". This sticks in my mind because who could ever forget the amazing voice of Paul Robeson (the film contained the memorable "The Canoe Song"); it has stayed with me ever since. I recently picked up a copy of the Video at a car boot sale and am waiting for the correct moment to watch it again for the first time in ??? years!
I wouldn't be able to recall the technical details after all these years, even if I'd understood the difference at the time, but the Film Unit presumably was 16 mm, or maybe even using 35 mm (GBN's ?).
The second film was "THE LIFE AND DEATH OF COLONEL BLIMP" which I saw at the local cinema as a reward for collecting a certain weight of paper and cardboard for salvage. This post was prompted by the fact that I have also found this recently in Video at a Book Fair.
If I'd been older, the third would have been "THE OUTLAW" with Jane Russell; us oldies wil never forget the poster at least!!!

And does anyone remember the mobile cinema vans with a rear projection screen under a hood at the back which came round showing patriotic and propaganda films in the street? Does anyone know where there might be a preserved version of one of these? I made my own version of one to show Girl Guide promotional films at a local village Revel (fete, to those outside of the West Country) some 30 years ago.

Martin

[ December 07, 2008, 01:50 PM: Message edited by: Martin Jones ]

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted December 07, 2008 06:07 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was Sean Connery in "You Only Live Twice" at a Drive-In way Upstate in New York the summer before I started Kindergarten.

Mom and Dad were concerned about the impression Mr. Bond's romantic escapades might make on a 5 year old, but the only thing I objected to was the 'copter dumping the car into the ocean.

(I liked cars. I still do!)

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 07, 2008 08:06 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've done some "Googling" and some of you may be interested in the following...

http://www.movinghistory.ac.uk/homefront/films/se4.html

This page offers a short (about 1 min) clip from the newsreel referred to; probably amateur cine film.
Martin

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted December 07, 2008 01:02 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The first feature I saw was actually a double feature!

My dad was in the air force and in his spare time, He would make a few extra bucks by working at the base movie theater.

He brought me to work once when I was five and I sat up there in the projectionist booth and watched "Robin Hood" (Disney, animated), and "Silent Running" (Bruce Dern), I believe it was 1970 or 71).

It's not too surprising that the two fields or "genre's" I love the most are animation and sci-fi!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

John W. Black
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 07, 2008 01:22 PM      Profile for John W. Black   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hot Rods To Hell with Mimsy Farmer.And I've loved bad movies ever since.

--------------------
Beat em or burn em,they go up pretty quick

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted December 07, 2008 01:23 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First one I can remember is The Marx Bros - The Big Store.

-Mike

John Edwards
Film Handler

- posted December 07, 2008 02:39 PM      Profile for John Edwards     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
johnny mack brown western cant remember title second one johnny wiessmuller in tarzan escapes.JE.

--------------------
theatre is live film is art television is furniture.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted December 07, 2008 02:54 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Micheal ...

How old are you? Holy Cow!, "The Big Store", that's 1940!

Good to see your still out and about!

--------------------

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted December 07, 2008 03:07 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ha, I'm 46. [Smile]

When I was a kid this was on TV - the post didn't specify TV or theatre.

-Mike

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted December 08, 2008 02:43 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well..let me think [Roll Eyes] it was "The Wreck of the Mary Deare" Gary Cooper at a "Picture House" thats what we called it back then. I was about 7 years old and I think it was called the Rosevale on Dunbarton road, Partick in Glasgow. In those days everyone smoked and just to watch the projecting light getting through the thick haze to the screen was fasinating in itself it was a real grubby place which I think must have added to the atmosphere of the film as well [Smile] .

The early film that did leave a mark on me and it was a special treat that my father took me to see was "The Alamo" with John Wayne we walked for miles on a foggy wintery Glasgow night to watch that film, this "Picture House" was a real palace compared to the world outside and when the film started I was in my mind at "The Alamo" and I guess thats where my interest in film really started which I still have to this day.

Graham.

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 08, 2008 03:13 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael, what's "TV"?

Martin

--------------------

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted December 08, 2008 03:19 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it was either Disney's "The Jungle Book" when it was first released here (dec. '68) or L&H "The Swiss Miss" at a Children's matinee...

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Trevor Adams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 08, 2008 04:21 AM      Profile for Trevor Adams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First full length movie at a commercial cinema was,"The Wizard of Oz"for me [Smile]

[ December 10, 2008, 03:50 AM: Message edited by: Trevor Adams ]

--------------------
Trevor

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 08, 2008 05:30 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Trevor,
If "O" means the same in NZ as it does in UK, where can I get a copy of "The Wizard of O" ?

Martin

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted December 08, 2008 10:33 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Martin ...

" The Wizard of "O" " ?

That almost sounds like the title of a naughty film ...

" The Wizard of Ahhh's " ? [Razz] [Big Grin] [Smile]

--------------------

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 08, 2008 10:37 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi,
That's exactly what I meant....and who wouldn't want to be known as a Wizard at that?
Change subject before the Moderators get hot under the collar!!!
Martin

--------------------

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 08, 2008 10:44 AM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham - I have to say that "The Alamo" seems a very fine starting point for anyone's first "viewing experience" - but then again, I may be a little biased of course.

"Step down off your high horse, Mister. You don't get lard unless you boil the hog! " - Davy Crockett

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 08, 2008 11:39 AM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mine was probably "Mary Poppins" as a kid in the late 70's/very early 80's as Disney always re-ran their films in the cinema, time and time again. How times have changed.

Graham S [Smile]

Alex Fox
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 08, 2008 01:30 PM      Profile for Alex Fox   Author's Homepage   Email Alex Fox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The first film I remember seeing was in a picture house much like Graham describes and was in a village called Glenboig in Scotland (would you happen to known of it Graham not far from Glasgow)was FRANENSTIEN. Alex.

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted December 08, 2008 01:37 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Red Riding Hood, must be 1960

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted December 08, 2008 02:06 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the cinema - LADY AND THE TRAMP.

-Mike

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted December 08, 2008 09:54 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Keith I think in those days the Western really fired up the imagination and John Wayne in particular represented everything that was good, he was a man of principal, even after all those years, watching The Alamo on DVD has lost none of its appeal although it would be great to see some of those films we remember the most back on the big screen where they belong.

Alex I have never been to Glenboig, Whiteinch and Scotstoun area of Glasgow was about it for me up to about 1964, did you grow up in Glenboig?

Graham.

John Hermes
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 08, 2008 10:34 PM      Profile for John Hermes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The first one I can remember was "Don't Go Near The Water", when I was about five years old. My dad as in the Navy and I guess that's why we went to this Glenn Ford comedy.

--------------------
John Hermes

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted December 08, 2008 10:57 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No wonder my older brother is such a fan of the Duke!

I never did like the earlier Duke pictures, though I look forward to seeing this new release on DVD of "The Big Trail". Have you heard about it me older bro?

From what I hear, this is going to be the first time, (since it's original release in 1930) that it has been seen in it's original widescreen presentation, which was called "FOX Granduer", which wasn't quite as wide as cinemascope, but was at least twice as wide and the standard "square" presentation that was the norm until cinemascope. As stated, this will be released in it's original widescreen, and from what people who have seen of it have said, it really is worth seeing in this format, all nicely restored!

Many said the Dukes performance was somewhat "wooden" in this film, and because of this film, the Duke was stuck in low budget groaners, (until "Stagecoach" 1939), but his performance was actually quite good.

--------------------

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 09, 2008 02:03 AM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have that particular Special edition DVD, Osi. It is impressive to see in it's "original" release format, especially if you have only seen the "academy" release version. The production values for 1930 are very good, although you do get the impression, due to the caption boards,it was a "silent" film with sound added later (which it wasn't, of course). When you consider that most of it was filmed on location, in 1930, it was one hell of an achievement.

Duke certainly looks young and as with all "new" actors his performance is a little "wooden", but you can see the Duke we all know and love "bubbling under the surface". I also think his performance is made to look a little "stilted" by his fellow actors, who were all "Theatre Actors, darling!".

quote:
We can't turn back! We're blazing a trail that started in England. Not even the storms of the sea could turn back the first settlers. And they carried it on further. They blazed it on through the wilderness of Kentucky. Famine, hunger, not even massacres could stop 'em. And now we picked up the trail agin. And nothing can stop us! Not even the snows of winter, nor the peaks of the highest mountain. We're building a nation and we gotta suffer! No great trail was ever built without hardship. And you gotta fight! That's right. And when you stop fightin', that's death. What are yer gonna to do, lay down and die? Not in a thousand years! You're going on with me!"
- Breck Coleman - Waynes character, in "The Big Trail"

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC