8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » computer help needed

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: computer help needed
Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 08, 2008 11:53 AM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
E machines model w 3118

windows xp service pack 2

See picture below...

Upon boot up I get this error. Click a couple of times, then it's gone for the session. But it always happens. How do I get rid of it for good. I do not know which disk drive it is referring to, but I suspect it might be cdrom.

I am having trouble locating possible driver information. Tech support at Emachines is horrible...won't try that again. And I hate the fact I might have to reformat and replace everything just to get rid of this problem!

HELP!

-

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted December 08, 2008 02:53 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chip,

Did you recently upload some kind of file, whether from floppy drive or CD Rom?

If so, it may be the kind of program that, in order to finish it on your computer, you have to load it back in one more time to have that finished. A number of older floppy disc files were especially notorious for this kind of thing.

You remember, three or four floppy discs long and you'd put the next one in, then your computer would have you reload the last one in for some form of verification, that you'd go right back the next one you JUST LOADED in.

I don't know if this is true in your case, but I hope that it helps.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 08, 2008 04:44 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think so, but I understand what you are telling me.

All the devices seem to be working perfectly EXCEPT the internal CDROM drive, which I might have to replace because I can not locate the drivers for it.

I have the system restore disc: Can someone tell me how to pull only the files that I need, without having to reformat and reinstall everything?

Thanks!

Chip Carpenter
Film Handler

- posted December 09, 2008 08:39 AM      Profile for Chip Carpenter   Email Chip Carpenter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chip - I don't think a reformat should be necessary - it looks like it's trying to access a drive to get a specific file. I would check you start up list, because there's likely something in there that is looking a disk in either the CDROM or in the floppy drive if you have one . . . check the preferences for the start up applications and see if any of them are pointing to data files on something other than the harddrive.

Hope this helps,
Chip

--------------------
Elmo ST-1200HD M with the Elmo 1.1 Lens and a Chinon 2500GL

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC