8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Just seen "White Christmas" at the cinema

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Just seen "White Christmas" at the cinema
Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 17, 2008 03:53 PM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've just come back from a digital screening of White Christmas , and apart from looking a bit flat, on the whole it was quite a good digital rendition (although in some scenes the eyes didn't look quite right, strange?), and to see this classic on the big screen for the first time was lovely. It's a shame it is only being shown for one day, still I suppose it's better than not at all. To think this was made 54 years ago, and is still highly entertaining today, that is the mark of a real classic.

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted December 17, 2008 05:36 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Barry,

Didn't that film suffer kind of the same fate as "It's A Wonderful Life"? That is, it didn't do well when released, but became a bonafide classic for years to come?

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Robert Wales
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 17, 2008 06:17 PM      Profile for Robert Wales   Email Robert Wales   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, White Christmas was the highest-grossing film of 1954. ( and the first in VistaVision )

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted December 17, 2008 08:23 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The best thing about White Christmas for me, is the wonderful Rosemary Cloony( and does'nt she look sensational in that all black dress!) I love her duet with Bing, singing Count Your Blessings. Rosie of course was one of the best ever female vocalists. Many years ago I had the privelege of attending one of her cabaret shows at Disney's 'Top of The World' night club here in Orlando. She was so great and so classy.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 27, 2008 11:56 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Barry, Glad to hear that you had the chance to see White Christmas.

I could only wish to have the opportunity to view a professional film screening or a collectors print in IB Technicolor. The White Christmas finale must look terrific with the saturated red santa outfits and the beautiful snow falling down behind the Inn.

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC